Sunday 27 September 2015

Pewsey and the Wx winter begins at SB

Going to be a quick blog today as you know the form anyhow.  All the normal stuff, We meet, we go to the pub, Chris is late, and he arrives completely unorganised and with not enough funds. Sutton Benger is the venue North of Lyneham for me so a long day.  It shouldn't be a long day but it always seems that way long and drawn out.

Leo pays our team funds and we wait to see what he draws us. I end up down stream some way from the weir in E section but my peg looks good.
It looks glorious but is devoid of fish. its 7 feet deep and crystal clear . I can see every stone on the bottom even watch my bait trip through the swim as clear as day.  In fact the only fish is the obligatory double figure pike ramming my keep net.  Must be the doziest Pike in the world as there's bugger all in the net.

The gold patch of gravel betraying no other life.  An hour has past and I am bite less, my only entertainment seeing if I could judge throwing maggots and settling them between the static pike who is still ramming the net.

1 hr passes without even a bite
2 hrs bite less
3 hrs bite less and start ringing around to see who is hammering me.  Its seems that every one is, bloke up stream has thrown back two roach and gone home as has the guy on peg 1 fed up of minnows. Minnows, he should be so lucky cant even get even get them!!!

The Pike has moved for now and the bait I was lobbing at him has attracted a shoal of minnows.  A quick change to 2 elastic and a squat rig and I catch my first one, with one hour to go

Its now a race to see how many minnows I can get in an hour.  Not going catch Tony Leech on 2 and Chris Bowen  has caught a 14 oz Perch. So it between me and Eamon Byrne  from ISIS A 2 pegs below me.  We all  get to the end of the match  and every one is saying the best we can do is fill the place in with concrete its fished awful.

I wish the minnows had arrived earlier, or a ting Perch or gudgeon, something with  a bit of weight to it. the best I could muster was a 2 oz chublet which looked huge against my tiny minnows.

 What a crap day I haven't caught so many minnows since I was about ten years old!!!

So to the scores and Pete was taking so long to cross reference his figures I was losing the will to live, so haven't got all of them.  

But as you will see when sections are being won with 4.5 ounces, so you can tell how it fished.  Mark Russ wins A section for Pewsey Blue sorry not got score but think it was 1 lb 13 oz.




Ian wins D by  double default with Rodney taking it in the weir swim


Managed to pip Eamon Byrne who had the same minnows as me , my little chublett doing the biz. 

With 1 hour to go nothing then scraped third (not bad) by the end, Chris Bowen added 1 x 1 oz fish to his PERCH  to take second.  With Tony fishing the lily pad of the Beach winning our section and the match with 2 lb 9.

Brian and Nics section next Brian in the foreground and Nic downstream.  Pete Gilbert won this section with three Chubb for his weight of 2 lb 5 oz 8 drams. Lee pollard second with 10 oz of little roach and Bri Shutler third with 8 oz of minnows.

So to the pub for the results and after what seems like an age Pete Gilbert is finally happy.

Sorry didn't get full sheet in but the crux of it is that Pewsey Blue had won the day beating Swindon on their water.


Pewsey take a 4 point lead into next round.With Lechlade Dreamboys and Swindon tied on second. Mark Russ picks up his section  winnings

A huge well done to Rodney for his third place unlucky  Pete Gilbert pipping him by 8 drams.


Don't think his brother Bob was that pleased.



2 comments:

  1. It wasn't the Chublet that did it for you but your tenacity - which makes great anglers. Like your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't the Chublet that did it for you but your tenacity - which makes great anglers. Like your writing.

    ReplyDelete