Sunday 20 September 2015

Pewsey Milk House and Simon Marches on

First may I thank all for the messages of support and I have decided with that volume of feeling I will continue with the blog at least for the time being.

What a funny old day, Autumn is rushing in and I have seen all types of weather whilst I have been on leave.  Mostly good but some horrendous days as my last blog will be testament.

 So to this morning and it was an autumn Barn Owl that tried to twit tawoo a dawn audio guidance for me as I walked the dogs in a real pea souper.

I decided to leave early partly because of the fog but also to be sure of good parking at Milky.

Talking of Milky , god it was thick.  Probably 25 yards at best.  Barely got above 35 mph as I crawled across the Salisbury plain to the venue. Weirdly I thought I saw a sign to say road closed in Pewsey, so a little panic thinking diversion would make me miss the draw.  Luckily it referred to last night and the Pewsey Carnival. Messy buggers in Pewsey as the streets were covered in litter.  However the volunteers were out in force 7.30 and they were out litter picking and cleaning up.

Safety was a little out of the window on the Burbage road; as thick fog visibility down to 20 yards, some of the guys and girls were in black clothing - stupid on a narrow road with no pathways.  Even at a crawling 15 mph I came up on one lass very quickly - squeaky bum moment for both of us.

So the draw and is was good to so many at a club match again.  I drew 5 and initially I was disappointed thinking it was permanent pegging.  However with a few boats Leo and shifted us all along and I had perm peg 11 and was well pleased.

A peg I am beginning to get to know, and a chance of bigger fish.  So I was up.

Then I was down as movement on the far bank in and around a coot nest.  Chas was ready and was stood with me as we witnessed, hopping away from the nest with his prize a big fat black slick mink!!
Bugger could do with out a mink swimming around in my swim.

The match started and I ignored the cold night before and went for it like it was a summers day.

Schoolboy error the chance of bigger fish early on got the better of me.  No bites on the bread after 20  minutes so went over the choppy line and bang a little Perch around 3 oz straight away then two roach then nothing.  The float dipped I lifted and the elastic stretched out. Yes .........and........no it was a branch!!

The boat moored immediate to my right came to life and it was with amazement that I saw one of the occupants chuck bait and swing a float into the canal.  What you doing.  Fishing mate was the reply.  Sorry says I but you cant fish from a boat.  So he stopped.

So had my bites several boats had been through and we were all suffering the effects as the match became a grind. Mark Russ seemed to be catching well on 12 next to me as he plundered the bush opposite.  Both of us lost big Bream within 5 minutes of each other , which I think we knew was going to be are only chance today.

With no bites I started to lose concentration a little and I was falling between 2 stools.  Did I do a Mark and bash away at the small stuff, or fish the track knowing there were hybrids in this swim. Looking right I was aghast to see the boaters fishing again!!

So I leapt of my box - yes me moving quickly wonders will never cease.

Sure enough trying to stay out of my view sat fishing.


Right says I, I have asked you nicely now I am telling you.  Stop fishing.  This water is Pewsey club water.  You are welcome to get of the boat go down the bank toward the bridge and fish, but I want £5 of you , oh and can I see you rod licence.  They declined the offer not having a rod licence or a fiver... They did intimate there were two of them, and I said "together you still wouldn't make my shadow and I have 20 mates fishing on the bank, your choice".

After I agreed to calling the authorities , they put their rod away and apologized and said they wouldn't do it again.  I reminded them I had their boat details and number and informed them I would be passing on to the canal trust and the EA.

Back to my own fishing and still the bites wouldn't come down the track. So it was across and try and catch up with Mark on the small stuff.  A running battle with a Pike meant Gary 0 pike 4 destroyed rigs and much jollity for Mark next door. Delighted as I had drawn the Pike from his swim.

The end of the match rushed toward me and I was desperate. I went for it with the ground bait and was immediatly rewarded with a 6 ounce Perch and a 8 ounce hybrid.  At last the fish had arrived , oh no two more boats and the fish were gone. Up, down, Up , down this was driving me mad. One more 4 ounce roach and Leo shouted the all out.

Bugger it was all too late, Mark had done me I was sure. The net looked dismal as I pulled it out, so I was down..

Packed up slowly and Chas came along to say that was grind, and with Marks net not looking as good as I thought I didn't feel too bad again.  Bugger this just relax and enjoy what will be will be. Its just fishing.

I decided to photo Marks net but his wife got in frame first.  Lovely lady Marks wife comes to the end of every match and helps him pack away.

Did get a photo of the handsome fella though, will he smile when he sees my net I wonder.


The weighing team were making their way along and it was clear those who had bonus fish were in prime position.  

Now I could go on about its won and lost in the draw bag but you have to acknowledge the skill of those that draw well and make the most of it.  Simon Burden, Brian Shutler and Nic Worters are having a purple patch this year, and to be honest unless I get a win under my belt soon they will stretch away.  

Simon in particular is having a storming run and yest again today despite not many fish he had a lump of a Tench, Nic too had a big Hybrid and lost a Tench as the Pegs in the 20's produced the bigger fish.

Brian may not have been in top three but again he got section by default.  Its no use bitching I have to try harder and get better. 

Well done to Leo, pipping Brian of next peg it forces a change to the winning Line up photo as he takes 3rd behind Simon Tench Burden and Nic Hybrid Worters.  Also a well done to Martin Aris grinding away and picking up points each week.


As a footnote my boater pals came along and apologised again, but asked for proof of the rules.  I gave them a copy of the following which Pewsey members will now be carrying in their box.  If you are a canal angler I urge you to cut and paste and print off.  You may need it one day its a direct lift from the EA and Canal River trust rules.

FROM Canal Trust website…..Fishing from boats:
I have a Canal & River Trust boat licence, does that give me permission to fish?
No, a boat licence only gives consent to navigate and not to fish, in the same way that an angling licence gives the holder no rights of navigation.

Is it OK for me to fish off the back of my boat if it’s moored on the towing path side?
Yes, dependent on local rules (in the case of PDAA , no to fishing of boat but yes from tow path). 
hence, you must agree to purchase either a day or season membership of the controlling angling club and adhere to the club rules at all times or, if there is no club controlling the fishing rights, a Waterway Wanderers’ permit. 

(In addition to club fees or day ticket cost - You still require a EA rod Licence) 

Please note however some clubs’ public liability insurances only covers fishing from the bank and may be invalid if an accident were to happen.





No comments:

Post a Comment