Sunday 13 September 2015

Pewsey Lake and its De' Ja Vu

All went well this morning up on time and on my way at the hoped for departure time.  Couple of Sunday drivers slowed things up a little , why oh why do some drivers do 30 in a 50 zone???

Turned right at Everleigh and headed across chalk escarpment ridge towards the Pewsey Vale.  Wildlife was in abundance this morning from a Red Kite through Bran Owls, Roe Deer and many many Stouts and field mice trying to find cover at the edge of the road as harvested fields were now barren of summer crops.

The most surprising sight was Reynard himself the Red fox .  I spooked him somewhat and he took flight with his breakfast firmly clamped in his jaw.

I parked up and went and sat with the lads whilst we waited for the match organiser.  Mark Russ arrived with a bang literally as his tyre punctured on his barrow .  Luckily I carry a spare wheel for just such a situation and I lent it to Mark.  This made me a little late in drawing my peg but surely I would draw a peg at the Carpy end.  Its been over 16 months since I have drawn past peg 10.

Not to be though peg 7, same old , same old.  Chris also drew the same peg as last time but at least this time with a full house he wasn't the end peg having a new guy on peg 2 to his left .  Full house today.

The match began and it quickly became clear that even the small fish line on top 6 was slow and the fish were more smaller than the norm and that's saying something.  Nobody much was catching and with the top three from the last match drawing virtually the same pegs in the same Carpy section I didn't hold out much hope.

So why not experiment?  Could always come back to the pole line.  I set up a Drennan Ultralite match pro and a Diawa light Theory reel loaded with 3 pound line and a size 18 hook.  I started pinging caster to the far bank. I was just starting to doubt the wisdom, half a pint of caster over 30 minutes and no bite.  When the float slid away and a small carp around 4 oz came to hand.  Followed by another pasty size 6 ouncer.  This was more like it.

Then the action slowed as the bites became around every 5 minutes but at least the roach were 3 oz instead of 1 oz like on the pole line.  And so it was till around 1 pm when the float dipped I struck and it went solid.  Initially I though bugger I have snagged but suddenly the water exploded and the Carp was away.  Yes you read it correctly a proper Carp.  After a 5 minute battle in which I had no control the carp wedged itself in a snag in the swim next door and I had to pull for a break.

That's the trade of, you can beef up the gear and not get a bite or you can, like me, risk it.  The Dennan Ultralite is a brilliant rod but its designed for Dace on the river or Roach and skimmers on the canal up to around 2 to 3 pound.  I could sit it out for the big stuff, but its not my style I need to be busy and keeping fish of any size going in the keep net.

Not to worry , tied on a bigger hook a 16 double bronze maggot tipped with a pinkie and dropped it in the zone. It cocked slid away and again solid, this time I was on it and pulled hard left away from the snags.  Luckily the fish saw my side of the argument and swam into open water.  I pushed the rod tip into the water and tightened the clutch on the reel as much as dare. and after a few minutes a lovely 3 pound Chubb had the net slid under it.

Despite the constant feeding the fish were not having it , so I came in on the pole line with a worm.  For the second day running Peter "Cray" fish came to hand.  Hard as I tried the fish were so small and I couldn't be sure if I was in for top section points.  Chris had been steadily catching and I couldn't see the others.

The all out was called and I new it was tight.  Spanners came along enquiring what I had.  He clearly had more than me from what he was saying so the "merry go round" pound coin made the return journey to his pocket.  Of course he insisted the moment was captured for posterity.

The weigh was surprisingly quick or am I getting slower in packing up?  It did seem to take a while to pack away today and all the while the Chubb was trying to leap out of the keep net.  Lesson learnt from my previous lost Carp earlier in the year .  I know don't have the keep nets so low to the water and I cover the entry / exit point with my landing net. So no joy Mr Chubb.

I took a quick pic and then weighed in


Everyone else weighed in whilst I finished packing.  Chris had just pipped me to win our section. His Chubb being half a pound heavier.  Spanners took the silvers by 8 ounces over Chris; and what has been the case all season Brian and Simon continue to draw really well and make the most of it.  With Nic also drawing a flier again there was no chance of Money.

A special well done to a new member Dan Hudd respectable weight from peg 2 on his first match.


As for me a mid week match to come then back on the Cut for club championship match next Sunday.  I think some may have thought I was grumpy getting away quickly; but truth was it was dark over Wills mothers as heavy rain threatened, and I wanted to get home in the dry.

So its as I say Deja Vu  (August Match repeated). No time for a photo I'll use an old one after all same old same old. Same blokes same pegs same result.

No comments:

Post a Comment