Sunday 11 October 2015

Pewsey - Wx Winter League round 2 Clanfield and coming back to life.........

Well its been a funny hiatus from fishing following my last outing a few weeks ago I felt a little unwell on the drive home and it was probably reflected in the abrupt blog for that day.  Traffic was horrendous on the way home; and following on from a long and drawn out results from the match made the day way to long.

Coupled with a distinct lack of food throughout the day I do my diabetes and me no favours at all, sugar levels were all over the place.  I went to my "cot" early that Sunday telling the wife I didn't feel right at all.

Following morning, the same as I gloomily went into the Monday morning Blues.  A couple of people noted I was grumpier than normal and from memory within an hour I didn't feel right at all.

Our first aider (Sara) was called and with indications the sugar had dropped to low I was force fed table spoons of honey , jelly babies fizzy drinks etc. From what I was told this did not work and when my face began to sag lower than an old ladies boobs, my words were slurred etc, a hasty call for an ambulance with colleagues fearing a stroke.

So after test for early onset dementia (still not conclusive) and M R I and CT scan I was released with some after effects not least a distinct loss of memory.
All the Doctors would say was that I had, had a neurological event. Sounds grand doesn't it. Trust me though I don't mind not remembering my wife's name; but I began to panic when I couldn't remember how to tie a spade end hook.  Or what the small numbers on the side of the float etc would or did mean. 

I could remember how to drive, but not work the kettle or toaster. Some friends who I have known for years or even so more recent friends looked familiar but their names eluded me.  Frustration was allayed somewhat by a call to the Docs who explained that there was a good chance the my twitching sagging face was the brains neurons trying to reconnect, and if I kept doing familiar things memories would return. 

It was clear though I wouldn't be going fishing for a while although I was determined to keep my place in this weekends team and set that as an unlikely target.

Kind visits from Leo and Spanners to my house helped to bolster memories fishing wise and my friend Dave Moody patiently sat with me and helped me remember how to tie a hook. Also taking me through photos of fellow anglers reminding me who was who.

A quick thank you for some of the comments of support from Cliff Dutton and others; and a particular thanks to my fellow blogger  http://silverfoxangling.blogspot.com/  to get encouragement from a man with a resume like his, has made my day.

This Monkey see, Monkey do approach was helping hugely. Still as today came upon me doubts were there. I feel a little slow, bit weak on my left side and have had to read my massive volume of fishing books to remind me how to fish, stick, waggler and flat floats on the pole.  Just hope it comes off.

As you know fishermen can be either a bunch of "self licking lollipops" with massive egos or some of the nicest people you can meet.  And thankfully these (Wx Winter League) guys and my team mates are the latter.  Proof of this is was my friend and close rival Brian Shutler. As I couldn't remember how to get to the venue, he made a quick to offer to ease the pressure for me on  the day by going out of his way to pick me up and get me there again.

So I sit with my Ipod in my ears with Pink Floyd (Division Bell)  in my ears I joined in with the track "coming back to life" rather apt really as I nervously edge my way back into the scene. When Brian arrives.

To the breakfast and the draw then, pats on the back and a couple of comments about sagging face looking as miserable as its always done.  A big thank you to Bob Garrett and all the guys who were as kind as could be, Mick Rosier on the next peg explaining if I need anything at all please shout.. Oddly it appears I owe everyone at least £20 or as much as a hundred!!!!! but even with my memory knows that's not true.

We reviewed our draw and with comments such as "if you do die Gazzer or have to give up fishing, Can I have your Tourny Pro X?" ringing in my ears I headed with Brian to perm peg 32 or B section 6.

Brian gives me a hand to get my kit over the barb wire and to the river edge.  Bit of a drop to the river where it was 6 feet at the edge sloping away to between 9 and 10 feet. The swim looked good with plenty of options; but still being slightly confused I couldn't decide what to do. In the end I fell back on what seemed natural and set up a stick on the normark and waggler on the drennan 14 foot acolyte. A 4 mtr whip for the tree on the right and 16 mtrs of pole to cup in the ground bait on the edge of the shadow two thirds across ( the only place with flow from right to left).

I couldn't remember what time the off is or how long the matches normally are; so I ring Chris for a bit of info.  He advised me of the detail and told me to try worm under the tree to my right.  Which was odd as I had already chopped the worm with that in mind.

So we started and I cupped in ground bait caster and choppy on the "seam" of the flow. One cup full under the tree and flicked the whip out. Perch first drop and then a cray fish.

Followed by 5 more Perch , none of which were of any size.  Two more Crays then nothing for 10 minutes, so flicked the stick over the seam but to be honest  there wasn't enough flow to pull it through. Still 4 nice little Chublets one after another was welcome.  So I thought I would try a big piece of worm and wham straight away and a Chubb of a pound things are going well.  Leo and Spanners had instructed us to catch 3 pound a piece for good team points; and I had about 1 lb and 3 quarters after an hour.

The big bait trick had only worked once and it was 30 minutes before I got another bite.  Several cold rural nights in a row had turned the willows either side of me a beautiful amber gold and a freshening breeze was dumping a fair size blanket of those golden nuggets on to the river. The river seemed to have stopped flowing so my new front door mat was a leafy one, making the presentation difficult.

Half way through and no more bites, I was finding concentration difficult and my body suddenly felt tired.  Coupled with the changing angle of the sun, I basked in autumn glow and started to drop to sleep.  A wobbly moment on my box shook me up a little and I decided to get of my peg have a pee, bottle of drink and a piece of chicken and ham pie.

Refreshed and awake, I reviewed my match so far.  After an initial good start I was a little worried I wouldn't make the target weight.  The whip line was empty, the stick line was now producing gudgeon after gudgeon. And after 30 or so I was concerned I wouldn't make 3 lb.  Another drink, and pee and a bit of chocolate. The changing angle of the sun meant I had to unclip the waggler and put on a black top waggler to see the bites in the silvery watery back ground.

But the change to the slightly faster water and long with the waggler proved fruitful, I remembered if you lose bites and one depth just change the depth and search for them.  So it was a lot of work swapping and adjusting but I was now eking out some chublets that were bigger than the gudgeon. With 10 minutes to go I caught a 7 oz Chublet which would help, and I felt I had done enough to get good section points when the whistle and all out came.

Brian Ballard a local "Ronaldo" popped over to see me and I could see from his face he had had a good day and was confident of the expected section if not match win.  So lets hope my 4 lb 14 oz (below) was enough for section by default.

Brian was back and we loaded the van with my kit.  We drove to peg 1 to see where I was in the section and the weigh in was just finishing, Brian indeed had smashed us all with 12 lb 10 of Gudgeon!!!! But I did have section second and a good 6 team points.  Added to Brian's win for C Section and seven points it was looking good.


Thanks to Steve Dean and Bob Garret for weighing in.  Leo came down from A section upstream to say whilst he had 4 lb a pound over the target weight he was mid section for points with the winner in his section having a 10 lb 2 oz Barbel to go with his 9 lb of Roach from this shallower popular section. I apologised to Leo and asked if I could be excused the after match team gathering and go home as I was bushed.

He agreed and left to check on the others, Brian and I made our move to go home but Brian's van had picked up a whining sound so we pulled into the results venue anyhow.  The others caught up and although it was to be confirmed the Captains Card looked good with 3 section wins 2 section second places and a mid section from Leo.


Not bad at all, with Spanners doing best with 11 lb + including Chubb.  Chris with a good weight including 3 clonking Chubb in the last part of the match.  Leo promised to ring later to confirm for me and the blog.  Brian too having a 3 lb Chubb in his 5 lb section win.

..........................

Sure enough Leo was good to his word.  We did indeed have the card above and the other following good news was :


  1. Ian Spanners Spanswick had framed and got 3 rd place
  2. I had indeed section by default with Brian Ballard taking 3rd in the match
The winner was Barbel man sorry didn't get his name or the pics of the other score sheets.  He had 19 lb + a good weight, on this cold day. Especially when you realise he caught the Barbel on a size 20 hook 2 lb hook length and single maggot.  Apparently the fish was hooked and took of stretching his pole elastic to the max and just before and right on snapping point it turned and swam back to his waiting landing net!!


We had a 4 point lead after round 1, and adding 36 points today the standings are now as follows after two rounds.


  1. Pewsey Blue                70 points
  2. Radcot                         62 points
  3. Swindon ISIS A          58 points
  4. Lechlade All stars       55 points
  5. Pewsey Red                33 points
  6. Lechlade Dreamboys  29 points
  7. Swindon ISIS B          13 points

Next week on the Thames again for round 3 at Lechlade, there is a quite determination amongst our team.  We are not shouting about but we are determined not to let up and keep the pressure on these regular river anglers.  Lets hope I have made incremental progress on the health front, whilst not wishing to excuse my performance today.  If I was properly on my game I am sure I could have got more out of that swim.

See you there...........................

Late News thanks to Mark Russ for texting me the results


1 comment: