Saturday 12 September 2015

Open Pewsey - Korma or Karma

Well I suppose the white lies caught up with me today.  Fibbing to the wife and too much Indian food yesterday were bound to catch up with me.  So it was too long on the loo (needed to be Korma free) this morning meant I was almost last to the match.  Paid my dues and wanted peg 10 or 12.  Steve Dean took 10. Laving two in the bag.  Kev and I had fished on Wednesday Kev on 10 me on 11 so we knew the fish were there.


Having peed in the bushes and witnessed a Hawk Moth chrysalis I had wished for good luck.  So when Kev said 12 and 8 and we both want 12, I dipped in and obliged him with peg 8.  His broad smile said it all as I trudged and he danced up the tow path.

8 is not a poor peg and is capable of 3 pound and certainly capable of hundreds of "squat" fish across.  Today though gut feeling was it was going to be slow.  Boat moored left and brambles across, I did a bread swim on the whip , two track rigs one for pinkie one for big baits; and the obligatory swim across for squat.

All in at 10 am and the rig followed the choppy and ground bait down the track.  Having lost bigger fish mid week I had stepped up line strength , elastic, and hook size, but after bumping two straight away I scaled down to take my chances.

That said it was the kiss of death as I had no more bites between 5 past 10 and quarter to eleven. Then the float bobbed a little but wouldn't pull under.  Impatience got the better of me and I lifted. and was surprised to see the elastic tug away.  Resulting in a pound hybrid.  Followed quickly by a 6 ounce skimmer several Perch another smaller hybrid around 10 ounces and a Ruff in a frantic 10 minutes.  

This softened the news along the bank that Kev had had 3 hybrids in the first 10 minutes for over 4 pound!!!!

Still if I could keep this up it wouldn't take long to catch him.  11 o'clock chimed on my phone and I was about to re-bait when i noted right , boat coming. So hold off a minute.  Dropped the rig in a sneaked out two tiny quick gudgeon.

The boat from the right was up[on me and I noted he was towing another.  The moored boat too my left looked as if it was moving and I realised that the was a boat from the left as well.  Oh charming.
So the towing convoy went down the middle, the one from the left was scraping the across channel and pulling out the far side vegetation.  The towed boat was getting unwieldy and was whacking and scratching along the moored boat to my left as everything became very tight.

So triple boated the swim looked like a war zone and the fish had gone.  The drizzle turned to rain and I felt the hand of Karma starting its pay back on my shoulder.  I had to change my baited area and start a new as the mayhem had deposited snaggy branches in my original area.  So looked right and started again.

After the 11 o'clock rush hour it was 40 minutes before the float bobbed and my mate Peter Cray came to the net.


I dropped it and then inexplicably accidentally stood on the unlucky fella.  Which ultimately doubled my bad dose of Karma. As no more bites till midday when a lonely perch came to hand.  Finally my new swim was going to produce................mid day still time although I am sure I was falling behind.  I estimated I had 2 pound but would need 8 + to frame.  

Cue the next double boating and two other single boats ploughing through my swim, the double boat right over my newly baited area.

The rain stopped by 1 pm and I had not had another bite since the tiny Perch before 12 noon. So as the rain had stopped I decided enough was enough, why sit there and weigh in a paltry 2 pound.  It was going to get me top three, and whilst there were 2 hours to go; the bites just weren't coming.  I decided for the first time in ages to pack up and go home.

I have no idea what the results were but would imagine Kev would frame after having over 4 pound in the first ten minutes, but my net was about 2 pound and I tipped it back.

On the Lake tomorrow I wonder if Karma will relent and I get a peg at the Carpy end of the lake.

Fat chance.  Home for some cold Nan bread me thinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment