Sunday 28 June 2015

Wessex Summer League R2. Snake your way south

End of a busy week of fishing with mixed results. Saturday winning against Haines, Sunday third on the canal , and Wednesday another blow out at Todber, no idea where I came.

So it was South today which is unusual in the summer league most of it is north of me.  Round 2 is at Witherington Farm, so it was an early arrival and a nice breakfast down before Reids Tackle the on site shop opened its doors.

An interesting conversation about  toiletry habits; and the science of a adrenalin fuelled poo or pee.  It seems that the excitement of competition can cause a release of adrenalin and the need to pass pee, or poo or both.  Just shows exciting my life is, as I haven't been for three days!!!!!

Brian and I talked the others ( with the exception of Steve T, who doesn't need help) through the vagaries of commercials as most of the lads could count on one hand the times they have fished a commercial venue.  They prefer running water or canals.

The draw did not favour Pewsey 1 but it did throw up some good pegs for P2.  I drew peg 2 for our P1 boys not good and we had the boards.  Personally I was on the inner on C section with the inevitable Brian Shutler in my section.  Where as my partner (Steve Trevett) in the pairs was on permanent peg 10 on cyanide straight in A section outer. So it was around to the back car park and unload.

It was over the bridge to the inner snake for me past the flier 56 which Paul Rice had snagged and miss 57 and settle on 58.  If I drew this section I wanted 56 or 69. But he ho.

The match got under way and unexpected rain started in earnest.  Bugger I had no coat it was supposed to be the start of a heat wave today.  So I sat there miserable for the first two hours of this 5 hour match getting soaked and catching very little.

In fact Rudd and Roach , Perch and skimmers - tiny skimmers .  The line across was bubbling with small carp sucking at the surface, but I couldn't connect and floating baits were not allowed.  Couple of Caster skimmers and a 4 oz roach from the track but mostly the float moved left and right as fish picked up the bait and dropped it again.

With two hours to go, I came in to the edge, hooked and lost 3 big Carp in Paul Rice's peg to my right. He too returned the favour by losing an equal amount of large Carp in my swim.

The rain stopped, the cloud stayed and the fishing was slow.  In fact only a few pegs around the lake were producing anything.  Thank fully my doubles partner Steve was one of the them.

The first of my Carp came to the net at 2 o'clock.  I piled the chop worm and caster down the edge and then another and another carp.  In fact I had 6 by the end , and the peg was coming into its own.  The wily old Carp were fizzing everywhere now. Typical the match ended just as the Carp came on the feed in every peg it seemed.  Perhaps an evening match would have suited better weights.

So to the weigh in, and I had managed to keep the board dry. Happily Paul on the flier 56 had very little but did get in one carp and an eel, and weighed in 7 lb 5 oz.  My silvers first
One pound 10 of bugger all.  Thankfully the worm fed Carp in the other net made for a more respectable weight and brought me up to a nice 30 lb 14 oz. 


The sections went like this A section first and my partner Steve T wins with Dazzer the organiser section by default.  Ignore the C top left it is A section. Permanent pegs 8 around to 24 outer snake.

B section and still on the outer we have pegs 34 around to 48.  Fellow team mate Steve Dean on peg 34 not a good peg.  With Nigel Russell drawing his fish.  P2 team Martin Aris managed to pip Steve by about a pound.  But other end peg Doug Foresaw slipped to third as Mick Rosier Swindon ISIS takes a section win.


C section next and a win for me and the biggest fish of the day to Fred Parker ISIS with a 10 lb 11 oz Carp.
So that's 2 section wins for us and ISIS have 1 and a 2nd.  So what will D section bring?

Chris Rushton for team 1 and Leo for P2.  Hoping for good news I asked Chris how he got on?  He didn't say much but the pic says it all.
It seems this canal boy was not expecting the power of the big Carp and his black hydro rig crumpled. 4th place.


A creditable performance from natural water Leo in P2 with a third and 20 lb.  So with ISIS now on 2 section wins a second and a 5th.  Against our 2 section wins a fourth and a 5th means ISIS keep the lead ahead of us.

 Back to the Green Dragon pub and the totting up begins.

Steve T wins the day with his 56+ and I pick up second ( one up on the third from last week) just ahead of Brian Jackson from Swindon ISIS.



Alistair diligently added up the pairs points and more good news as Trevett and I move up from 4th to 1st


Next round end of July, on the river Severn at Tewkesbury!!  We get about don't we? See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment