Sunday 5 July 2015

My pleasure sleepy head

Slightly gutted this weekend as there was no match.  There was a teams of four on Basingstoke canal yesterday but couldn't get in on it.  Never mind.  Some of the lads had kindly invited me to Heron Lake but I am not a member of Marlborough so had to pass on the Crucian fishing.

So it was Rod Stewart and Maggie May in my ears as I halfheartedly drove to our lake for a couple of hours alone. Rod was telling me " he was going steal his Daddies cue and make a living out of  playing pool" when I pulled up.

As it was, Will was already ensconced on peg 13 (been there since dawn) and had already had a carp or two.  So I sat next to him on 12 and set up.  I decided to try a different ground bait mix than normal if it didn't work no worries better to try outside match conditions and make the mistakes there.

As it was I was off to a flier as typical of the lake outside of match days the place was alive with feeding fish.  The float settled and then lifted 3 inches clear of the water. Some of the stockie pups are getting bigger by the day it seems.

The water was fizzing like a cauldron when Brian Shutler turned up for a little practise.  He stood behind me and said "I'll just watch you lose that one and then I'll Move on" Cheeky git.  As it was I didn't lose it and it was the second fish of a manic hour.

It slowed then so I piled in more bait and away we went again.  Will was catching on the tip as usual and Brian had settled on the rarely fished peg 17 and was catching one losing three with metronomic regularity.


My session was going from good to very good as I tried to plough through the 8 oz to a pound fish in search of the bigger boys and girls.  The elastic stretched and the float dipped with pleasurable speed; and it was delight to see some of the 3 oz Crucians we stocked 18 months ago now getting bigger.  Some are getting on for 10 oz.  The future is bright the future is Crucian Gold.  Fat little buggers.


And so it was the sun shone on my back and the lake.  The easy fishing was a delight, the ducks came and went and the king fisher squealed by on its frantic business; and a week of hot nights and thunderstorm disturbed sleep was catching me rapidly. The god of sleep rested his lead weight hands on my eyelids.

 The peace and tranquility of it all meant I literally fell to sleep on my box!!

Now I have fallen asleep fishing before , but its normal from the comfort of a carpers chair or bedchair.  Do it on a match box and its different kettle of fish.  If any have you have had that feeling that your falling and suddenly you wake and you lying in bed.  Well its almost the same.

Except you really do fall.  Luckily I fell backwards, my pole shot in the air and the rig rapped itself neatly into a birds nest around the end.

What woke me, well it was Brian of course landing another. Red Hydro straining against another superfit Carp.

Thoughts of the grass needing cutting at home, the Silverstone Grand Prix coupled with the continued yawning and sleepiness.  I decided to call it a day.  I was pleasantly surprised to haul out the net and find near 15 lb.  Lovely, several nice Crucians, and the stockie Carp are really growing up.  As always the Roach glistened in the sun and it still amazes me how a 4 oz roach will take 3 maggots on a 16!

Open Match on Thursday night at Milky.  Then its Championship duty at this very lake.  Bet it don't fish like that next week, we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment