Saturday 20 June 2015

Angling Times Bait Tech - Tight Frightner

Well prepared I set off early to walk and peg the stretch at Milk house as we were hosting the quality anglers from Haines Angling. The nettles and other plant life seemed to have put on 18 inches of growth overnight!  Good thing was all the moored boats had moved on.  Despite Haines Angling indicating they were short of canal anglers you cannot deny that good anglers can catch on any water.
We flipped a coin for choice of odd or even pegs and Haines won choosing even pegs. The rules were explained and the points system agreed. Draw done we headed to our pegs and set up.

As I said this was not going to be easy even though we are on home water.  I had to remember to focus and just concentrate on the guy to my right. Nick Veale.  It was clear he was no mug as he set about tackling up.

I was glad to call the all in and get under way this match seems to have taken an age to arrive.  It was clear straight away it was going to be a busier than normal Saturday as the first of the boats motored through.  In pegging I had given each team an equal amounts of blank looking pegs and those with a feature to fish too.  Each team also had an end peg each. So I don't believe I could have made it fairer.  I have to say my peg had a minor feature of some brambles hanging in the water; but actually it turned out to be a hindrance.  

The sub surface brambles were much thicker and numerous that I needed.  Problem was it seemed to be the only place I could get a bite in my swim.  I did catch a small hybrid down the track, but after the 3rd boat and second set of Kayakers that killed that line.

So the match crawled forward and I watched the Nick to my right catching steadily, much more steadily than I.  It wasn't long before I knew he had cancelled my hybrid.  I plugged away picking out tiny Gudgeon and Roach but knew I was falling behind.  

Whilst I would imagine Nick had not fished Milk house for a while or even ever , he seemed to be doing all the right things.  I would imagine somebody who knows our water had briefed them well, he and the others were making few mistakes.

Another Hybrid settled the nerves for me but then Nick had one so it was nip and tuck. Bloody hell it was going to be tight.  Not much in the way of bank walking from our crowd so it was unknown how the others were doing.  I did know from their bank runner Brian was bagging on the end so that was good news .

The match progressed and it was to and fro between Nick and I. Until the last hour I was probably in front.  The a bite less last hour killed me. As Nick ground away the small stuff and with minutes to go what looked like a net able 6 oz fish.  This was going to be tight.

Nick sucked in a hard concerned breath when I weighed in my net at just over three pound.  I was disappointed 3 trashed rigs were fish had pulled me into sub surface brambles could cost me at least another pound and a half. 

Nick had indeed done me by two and half ounces. Bugger. That's 1 point each after Brian won his personal end peg match.  


Tension rose as we made our way down the tow path exchanging points as we went.  Lots of eyes looking in on the scales each team willing their weights to push the needle around that bit further than the opposition.

It was down to the last match, had Spanners managed to take away that end peg advantage and draw us level on points.  Yes!!! We were all tied up. It would be down to overall team weight, and thank god we had done it we had won the day by a heavier weight.


Thank you and Well done to Haines Angling they were friendly and competitive in equal measures and made it an excellent friendly day; but as you would imagine we are well chuffed to go through to the next round.

Team Below left to right. 

Chas Short, Brian Shutler, Me, Ian Spanswick, Paul Giddings and Kev the Bread Chubb

Club match at Ladies bridge tomorrow, better replace those trashed rigs

No comments:

Post a Comment