Sunday 21 June 2015

Pewsey Ladies Bridge and an exhibition from a master.

Jumped into the flyer after oversleeping a little I opened the window to ventilate the horrible smell from the wet nets left in van overnight - lovely.  I have mixed feelings about the Ladies Bridge match.

Rarely do I draw in the bay, and you have to, to stand a reasonable chance of points.  In fact last year it cost me valuable championship points because in both matches my rivals last year Brian and Simon stretched away from me.  After last weeks disaster the weekend was going well; with a win for our side in the Bait tech, yesterday.  So could I keep it going.

Martin was delighted to see me and couldn't wait to show me his new tackle trolley.


The banter was high as we all reflected on yesterday and who would draw well today, hopefully in the bay.

Being effectively the first match of the season , Leo wouldn't take any money till we had all shown our new club books and in some cases rod licence.

So after a few parish notices and a shout from Leo (miserable git lol) it was his birthday yesterday another year older may have had an effect on his mood.



At last a smile from Leo and the draw got underway.  Dived in early for a change rather than wait.  Oh my god I don't believe it I have drawn in the Bay.  Admittingly the far end but at last I was in the bay, that was the good news.

The bad news was I had venue experts either side of
me , Paul Giddings on 10 and Chris Rushton peg 8 a peg he regularly pleasure fishes.  On top of that dead center of the bay on peg 7 the man in form and yesterdays winner Brian Shutler.

To be honest it was bit of a shock I had mentally and physically prepared myself and kit for fishing up the narrows.  But the peg looked good and although there was boat moored between Paul and I he had convinced the guy to (as he was going to move) to do it before we started rather than in the middle of the match.

Leo was getting stick for the pegging ( who would be a match organiser, you can't please em all)


Martin in particular was concerned as he needed to do some serious cutting back to access his swim (only kidding) he was just playing silly buggers.


The match got underway and straight away I had three roach close in on punch.  Chris and Brian however had gone long.  So I pushed out to 11 meters but could only get crayfish on the worm.  Chris was opening a tin of corn.  Unusual, but some of the juniors had been catching on corn.  I gave it a go, and 30 minutes was wasted.  In fact despite the 3 quick roach and the 4 crayfish there was nothing doing for 1.5 hours.  

I was starting to get irritated the normal wasn't doing it and Chris

(smug git above) and Brian were on 10 Bream each.  I had to go long , so a change to 16 meters , and a shallow of saw my first bite and Bream.  Then the bait I had put in started to draw some of Chris's fish .  He slowed up, Brian speeded up and I started into the smaller hybrids.  

The match flew by as I hooked and lost three unstoppable fish; and almost lost a 4 lb Bream to a  submarine of a Pike.  Did manage to net it in, minus part of its tail fin!

Size 20 hooks were costing me fish and after a trashed rig, I changed (should have done it and hour ago) to a size 16.  The pole bent in the very strong June wind as a Carp picked up the bait and ripped through Chris swim and into Brian's, before parting ways with me.

Quick bait up and back in.  Before the float could cock it was away and another Carp zoomed straight away toward the back of the bay.  Bugger boat coming from left and my elastic although submerged stretched across the canal.

Managed to get it to the edge (feeding in under boat) before a beautiful mirror Carp (approx 7 lb) showed its dominance. It saw the net and turned, flipping me two fingers ( well it's tail fin) dived away trashing another rig.

And so it was the match was ending way to quickly and although I had em going Chris had slowed , but I wasn't never gone catch his 10 Bream start.  

Brian on the other hand was one a chuck literally.  He couldn't fail, ditching the pole for the waggler only increased the speed in which he could get fish in.  His waggler would hit the water, cock and slide away. It was metronomic brilliance.

All "out" called; and I packed away as the scales and boards were well away to my left on 17.  Brian looked happy and why not he had a blinding match and looked favourite for 2 wins in 2 days.

Chris too was pleased, I wasn't sure Paul on my left had a had a late run and I wondered where I might be points wise. My net below:

The lads came down from the narrows some smiling (those that had caught Tench) and others grim faced bemoaning a bad draw.  Paul last in his section to weigh in had done enough to win his section.  Then it was me.  27lb 2 oz was enough to pip Paul's 17 lb.  But had Chris's early Bream been enough to keep him in front?

It certainly had in fact those Ten were the difference between us.  A 40 lb bag.

On to Brian next,

A huge canal net from the man of the moment.  He had clearly smashed us all.  We would have to weigh in several batches as our quarter ounce fine canal scales would bottom time and again.  

The towpath was packed with people wanting to see this monster catch.  Older anglers often hark back to the halcyon days of days gone by and massive pleasure session catches of Bream in the bay 100 lb +. 

However, bear in mind times have changed. These are modern days, and this was a match where a lot of anglers on the bank lots of tow path users, walkers, cyclists etc.

It wasn't lost on any of us this was great days fishing.  The several weigh ins were however, holding up those who waited patiently

One look in Brian's keep net was enough to know he had bagged, big style.

A massive weight of 75 lb 11 oz!!!!!!!!  Outstanding.

The weigh continued and we all piled back to the car park although a few decided to stay on and fish the bay, as clearly the fish still wanted more.  Another hour I may have caught Chris and Brian may have broken the ton.

As it was the top three were.  Brian, then Chris and I came in third.


Well done to boys up the narrows, nice to see the Tench showing.  Next week a change of scene as we swap to a commercial and fish Witherington Farm in the second round of the summer league.

I will up the font as it needs shouting.  Although he drew slap bang middle of the bay.  He is not lucky Bri.  He is Brian Shutler - quality angler on a quality peg, superb, exhibition of angling from a terrifically nice man. 







No comments:

Post a Comment