Wednesday 24 June 2015

Army 9 Todber Double Bogey

Joined the surprisingly heavy traffic westward early.  Surprising as it was 06.30.  Penny dropped as the bleariness left my eyes and I realised it was Glastonbury traffic.  So I popped in a Euphoric Trance CD and busted some moves , or threw shapes or what ever it is.

You know big fish little fish.

Sue and the team at Skevy's Cafe did their normal superlative job of turning out the breakfasts. Friendly , professional and superbly cooked grub at very reasonable prices.  I must admit I had not read properly the instructions for the day and not clicked the AGM had been moved to this penultimate match of the season.  In addition the match was starting late (noon mid-day) and there was a BBQ after wards etc etc.

That was going to make it a long day. Don't know where my head is these days concentration is shot.

The AGM got under way and the normal issues were discussed and people nominated.  Got to say a big thank you to Kev Est , Craig Bate, Ben Bentley for all their leg work admin and pegging this past year. No gripes from me a thankless task completed with minimum of fuss.


Back to big fish little fish. Todber is my bogey venue.  I have a love hate relationship., when i practice it or indeed fish in opens etc I have always done reasonably well.  However, in Army matches I picked up 3 rd in 2013 but since have bombed out every time.

I drew again and managed white posts B 3. I was pleased as I drove further west to the lake..  The smile was wiped from my face though when i realised I was center of top lake widest part and it looked devoid of fish.

Even worse Yoda (John Dewberry) and Dave "Docs" Docherty this years front runner, were discussing how they would divide up the winnings.

There was strong wind right to left and the pegs in that corner were black with jumping and active fish.  Docs had the favoured pipe swim and there as a load of fish slamming themselves against the pipe. and rolling on top.

The match finally got started and I fired the method across 30 mtrs to the far bank.  I had three belting runs in the first 5 minutes all of which ploughed immediately into a big lily pad in front of me.  That was it for nearly four hours.

Docs in the meantime was having my sort of day, he had lost best part of 10 decent Crap , trashed rigs, broke elastics  and lost multiple hook links.  Ultimately it led to him jigging a 6 mill pellet and getting one fish after another , he pummeled me badly.

There was nothing I could do.  I set up a silvers rig and had 4 skimmers 5 gudgeon and two tiny Perch amounting to about a pound in total.  If it wasn't a team match I would have gone home.

5 O'clock and an hour to go and there is a ripple of movement in the lilies again.  Tried the wag but no joy so back on the method. Fifteen F1s one after another in the last hour. As finally the fish turned up.  Shame they were not big only amounting to 12 kilo 750.

Yoda said I had beat him but frankly I think he was being kind and I didn't quite believe him.

Sorry I didn't stay for the results and to photo the results but time was getting on and lots to do as I am going out this evening.




1 comment: