Sunday 29 September 2013

Pewsey Pipe Dream

No match today, so I decided to go and practice on the Pewsey Lake.  I have been forming some ideas in my head to try and see if I could I target some of the bigger fish in the lake. Pleasant morning was being slightly ruined by my continuing gut problems.  A trip to the hospital last Thursday has given no further clues as to whats wrong - just another try these tablets now!

I should perhaps have stayed home, but life is too short to pass up a chance to go Fishing.  As I pulled up, there was only one van parked. So I hoped the angler had not taken my first choice peg number 14. Yet to fish 1,2,3,7,11,12, 14 and 15.  Sure enough local Carper Pete Fitter was already installed in 14 - bugger.

So I plumped for my second choice Peg 12 "the Pipe Swim"; where the water outfalls from the lake.
   I have always fancied having a go at 12.  The Lake doesn't have many features so the pipe is as good as it gets, for fish holding.  Splashing to my right on 14 sees Pete landing a Carp.

Having been reading my brothers blog http://grfishingmemories.blogspot.co.uk/ this past week I thought I would do a slight ho-marge' to him and fish the waggler instead of pole.  I had several ideas on different baits, so I quickly set up.

Did a normal Pinkie and ground bait and choppy line as a back up; with a separate line with a new different bait.  Leaving well alone to rest I cast a small feeder to the far bank.  Twenty minutes passed with just small tugs on the tip.  Hit the last tug to be rewarded in with a small cray.  Crushed the Red Signal crustacean and dispatched it.

Back over the choppy and the float wouldn't settle, Perch after Perch after perch, all in all 10 at 6 ounces one around 8, two a pound plus and one a good 1.5 lb.  A match winning weight of Perch alone.  This going like a dream.  
So it was with some trepidation I tried the new bait.  Fully expecting the experiment to fail I dropped the bait in.  It was silly really expecting it to carry on as it had been, but the float never moved.

Pointless going back to pinkie and worm, I know that works.  I need other options in matches.  So I decided to stick with it; and fed a little more. Dip, dip, dip and then sail away.  A Roach around 8 oz, it works by god it works! Back in and another around 6 oz.  Up shot of the experimental bait was 10 roach none bigger than 8 oz, and the smallest being 4 oz.  In short a good change bait for slightly bigger fish in a match.  Of course its not match conditions, the lake is empty but for Pete and me.

The fish are colder today as is the water.  For interest I took the temp 8 degrees, down 5 degrees on two weeks ago!  Swapping to an up in the water rig brings more small fish.  Whilst it was fun and I would have been glad of such regular bites in a match.  I was wasting time.

The one thing that wins matches here is a bonus fish normally a big Chubb or Carp.  Pete has just had another Carp against the Bulrushes, so I ping another experimental bait over on the waggler to the far bank.  A few loose offerings and wallop the waggler dives, line is paying off before I can grab the rod. Tightening down the line whines in the wind.  Loosening the clutch slightly as the Carp comes to the net, was a good move as it makes a bee line to the underwater pipe.

Seconds later a lovely 5 lb fish graces the landing net.  Glad I have brought a bigger landing net pan today.
  The new bait seems to be a hit, as two more Carp of similar size follow quickly followed by a smaller Common, (3.5 lb) all of the fish are beautifully coloured and in tip top fighting shape.  The colour, is a wonderful mahogany patina of well polished furniture.

Another five pounder puts a pleasing arc in the waggler rod.  Fish like this are little too much for a match waggler.  So I get out a proper commercial "puddle chucker" waggler and beef up the line a little. I am so glad I have my camera, who would believe the Lake so fickle during matches could produce like this.

Pete comes along to see what I am catching on and how.  I turn around to chat when the rod is nearly pulled out of my hand and another Carp rips up the lake leaping clear of the water.  Keeping the rod low, I start the task of bringing the fish to bear, its clearly better.  I gain a few yards before a dogged clutch straining line stripping run takes it back.  Come to daddy I whisper and slowly but surely it does.

Even in close it stays deep hugging the bottom and pulling toward the pipe.  I ram the tip of the rod into the water and pull slightly tightening the slipping clutch.  If I tighten anymore its going to break, so it little back winding is required to give the fish hope.  It works, the fish swims out toward open water.

The puddle chucker is bent right over and the line chimes taught in the breeze. Pete sees the fish first and says , " that's bigger, that's a good fish".  Whilst I was thinking it Pete said it, "could be a record".  Squeaky bum time.  At last the fish tired and a slowly very very carefully brought the fish to the net.  Seeing my ugly mug, or Pete on the horizon behind me, spooked the fish and it ripped away again.  

Back winding but keeping the pressure on, I slowly started to gain the edge and pull it back. As the fish slid over the net the hook sprang free and in a panic I quickly lifted.  The water erupted as the fish exploded at being caught -  Yes I had it.


What a beautiful fish, stunning golden orange, and really proud looking beast.  "That's a good fish, I'll get my scales"  says Pete, the lake record for a Mirror is 15 lb 6 oz.  I personally didn't think it was that big, but it was a lump. The scales went around to 13 lb 4 oz.  Netted the fish then weighed the net - 1 lb 2 oz, deducted and left with a smashing 12 lb 2 oz - what a lovely moment. Shame to reduce it to a weight in pounds and ounces.  Short of the record, but I was pleased Pete witnessed the catch.

Whether it was the tenseness of the fight, I am not sure, but my gut was really giving me grief.  I decided to take a little walk calm down and have a pee.  That was a mistake I felt like I was peeing red hot lava, and the pinkish tinge wasn't good either.  Still enough of that, back to the fishing.  

Celebratory crunchie and cup of tea, and fired the waggler out again.  Nothing doing though, the wind was getting up and despite sinking my line, unless I had a quick bite I was dragged out of position.  Midday arrived and the log cast wasn't working.  So as the stomach got worse I decided to end this dream session and head for home before anything embarrassing happened. 

What a day, nearly six pound of Perch, 5 pound of Roach of a good size plus 20 or so snotties.  Then to top it all 6 Carp for around 33 lb.  Never in my pipe dreams did I thing I could get 45 lb from Pewsey Lake.  It just goes to show the Pewsey ticket is well worth it.  Good people, and good fishing.

Put the fish into one net for a quick photo. 
Pete came along to say well done and offered to take a quick piccy for me to top the day.
Winter League next week.  Then its back to the Lake.  Hope I draw peg 12 my Pipe Dream.

1 comment: