Sunday 15 September 2013

Pewsey Boats - Legends of the Fall

Pewsey Boats today and the canal Championship.  Funny time of year, very cold autumnal night preceded the day; and the morning brought wind falling leaves and acorns the size of conkers, twigs and other detritus.

The Yanks call this time of year the fall, for the above reason; and although I didn't have Brad pit from the film of the same name; I did have two local Legends either side of me James Carty and Simon Burden.
James Carty (Devizes Match Group)  Local Legend

We all gathered around Leos van for the draw, only 12 today, but what a 12.  Will have my work cut out to stay with these seriously good Canal Anglers.  Some of them have been fishing it so long it seems the were born on it, or at least conceived on the bank side.


Once again I drew mid section (Peg 7) midsection blues again me thinks.  When will I draw an end peg. 

There were in effect 3 end pegs today as overhead cables separated peg 13 and 12.  So end pegs went to Paul Giddings 13, Kevin Chubb 12 and good ol Ian Spanswick peg 2.  Peg 1 left out.  Boy those boys can draw!!!!!  It would be hard work against these guys if they were on tough pegs - but when they are drawing like this it really is tough.

The boats stretch is not the deepest (4 feet), but it does have the permanently moored boats which are a good feature. Peg 7 - see below looked ok but not great.  Dropped down five feet onto the clay ledge below,to put the platform in.  

We are pegged "cosily" today and James and Simon are only one boat either side of me.  Not complaining as a "pegger" myself, I know how difficult it is to please all.  I decide on three swims.  Bread punch on the nearside to the right, choppy swim down the track to the left.  And squatt and pinkie between the boats (20 inches deep)  in front of me.

The match starts slowly, no bites at all on the bread and nothing on the worm.  45 Minutes in, no bites, and James is catching long against the boats, so I ping some squatt and go across to try and emulate him. Bingo the float is away and its a gudgeon, then another and another.  The gudgeon seem chunky and long but feel very light in weight.  I catch several fish and have been going fish for fish with both Simon and James for around 45 minutes.

With around 1 lb in the net, and getting into a rhythm of feeding bit of hemp, and 6 squatt every five minutes, I am enjoying this holding my own with the superstars.

Then disaster........ The owners of the boat in front of me (red and black bottom) turn up.  Annoyingly they start filling up with diesel, crashing around on the deck and I realise with crushing disappointment they are going to move!



 By all accounts from the conversation in front of me, the boat is silted in.  So with great gusto the owner revs like mad and fills my entire swim with clay and silt.  Cheers pal, why don't you come over here and kick me in the nuts for good measure. 

He then delighted in telling me he would be back in an hour, just needs to go and empty his loo.  By the state of my swim I am wondering if he hasn't already done that as my swim was un-fishable.

It was an hour and a half before the silt settled and I got my next bite.  Another gudgeon around 2 oz; this was followed by a 1 oz roach and 1 oz perch. 

God hates me True to his word the boat then came back to moor in front of me.  Completely destroying my swim again and for the rest of the match.  Game Over.

For good measure before switching off he gave the engine a full throttle rev for a couple of minutes. See below.


Leo shouted the all out, and to be honest it came as a relief.  I did try all sorts but my swim was destroyed.  The Weigh in begins, and Paul Giddings, pleasure fishing by himself the other side of the overhead cables - near the turning bay has 5 lb 13 oz.  Back this side of the cables and its Kev Chubb on the other end peg see below 4 lb 4.5 oz.

Coming down the Canal the weights get smaller, and pound side bets are settled.  James to my left has 3lb+ and so does Simon to my right 3 lb +.  I am gutted I am sure I could have got close to them if not for my misfortune.  But as it is I have 1 lb 5 and half ounces and almost - not quite - last in the match.  5 Points only as I slip back in the Championship.  Spanners on the other end peg is second with 4 lb 13 oz.






Paul (1st) 173 fish to the left and Ian (2nd). Kevin (above) third, 83 fish. 

Todber Manor on Wednesday, and then the Winter League (Sun)  Bristol Avon at Sutton Benger.

Ivan Marks, if you are up there looking down, send a bit of luck mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment