Sunday 8 September 2013

Pewsey Championship - Magic Mike the mechanic with a spanner in the works

Fishing is a funny old game - a game of two halves or at least on this occasion a tale of two sections.  Autumn has really arrived typical September cold nights and warmish days.  The edge on the morning wind warned that the last of the summer wine was about to be consumed.  The lake was covered in a scummy film with a few rainbow colours which suggested a drop of fuel had entered the water !  I hope its not a man made product, and just some natural effect.  The mist curled away from the colder water like ghostly souls floating heavenward.

Little 20 gram fish flipped on the top and an occasional wallop splash from a restless Carp echoed down the Lake from the higher number "Carp" pegs.  My early thoughts were that today would be about gauging what thermal level of the water the fish were feeding in.  The lake being 7 foot plus - would they be feeding in the cooler lower levels?

The draw begins and there is a low turn out today with some of the summer regulars falling away, and others on a Ireland fishing trip.  Tales are exchanged from yesterdays Div 1 nationals, Chris had done well catching 2+kilo to end in top 20 individually.  Mike and he had had a long day but still turned out today to support the club event.

Peg 10 a first time for me, I have drawn 9, 3 times and there seems to be a pod of reasonable Perch in that swim.  Perhaps I can coach them over.  I have Mike Marsden, Ian and Leo in my section along with a guy I don't know and young Stephanie Arris are only female competitor today.

 The Giant Gary Perryman (6 foot 7 and hands like buckets, lovely bloke - but I wouldn't want to be wrong side of him) starts the next section to my right.  I am sort of pleased not to be in the section that will be won by the Carp Pegs.  Chris - who reckons he doesn't draw end pegs - has drawn the end peg.  Those who read my last blog will start to see what I mean by those who draw well , week in week out.  In fairness to Chris he has got talent to back it up.

The match starts and I start on the bottom fishing worm over choppy and hemp.  The float is not settling as the bait is not reaching the bottom and the float is being pulled left on the drop.  The fish are to small to take the bait, in fact 3 in a row drop off near the bank as they finally give up their struggle to hold a worm section the same size as them. Bumping fish makes me realise that the double three elastic is not worth it bigger fish are not around.  So off the bank. Dig out another single 3 elastic kit and the first fish pulls back against it and gets dropped in the net.  The next couple of hours sees me alternating between 2 feet , 6 feet and 8.5 feet (the bottom) as the fish chase the bait being sprinkled in.  A carp bow waves the far bank, so I ping some bait in, in readiness for fishing across with the method.

Mike on the next peg is going great guns with fish after fish around the 5 ounce mark, the resident dog Perch are showing to.  For every 1 ounce fish I get he gets another 5 oz, Miserably I have to concede it is an exhibition of Silver fish fishing from the local boy.  Gary on the next peg has been fishing down the edge and is rewarded with his elastic stretching out against a nice bronze common.

His massive hands (below) make it look like he is handling a 3 lb Carp like a little Roach. Leo is now into Carp to a to my left and Magic Mike is still a fish a chuck.  Leo lands his fish, well done to him, he has spent the morning getting his feeder tangled in the trees on the far bank.  Persistence pays off, for our Match Secretary.

Word comes down that Spanners is in as well, and the realisation I am up against it dawns.  Not only is Chris possibly bagging on the flier and will probably take the match.  The guys in my section are pulling away.  I mustn't give in.  I decide to ping the feeder out.  Have a dink and a chocolate bar.  Perhaps the tip will rip around and the elation of being back in with a chance will return.  An hour passes by and the tip has not budged.
Mike the machine continues to bag, and Gary s elastic is out again!  This time losing a huge Chubb in a snag.  Mike has just used his landing net - couldn't see what the fish was , but the cagey fella has a satisfied look only a reasonable fish will bring.  All I can do is work at it. 

 So its up and down in the water, changing shotting patterns, trying all sorts to coax a quality fish.  Worm is still to big for the stamp of fish in my swim.  Casters the normal bait to pick out quality is not working.  Maggot is being crushed and spat up the hook length.  So I swap to double pinkie so I can save time swapping hook bait every drop in.  Best method appears to be two feet deep, shot under the float to allow float to fall through the water slowly.  I suffocate (float) a few maggots in my side tray their extra bouyancy will counter act the hook weight.

The match drags painfully on, as I watch Mike continue to bag.  Mike ironically is a mechanic; and I cant help but get that 1980's Mike and the Mechanics song "all I need is a miracle" from going around and around in my head!

The all out is called, I have enjoyed the day.  When I look back over the Lake matches this year, I am slightly peeved, because 2 lb would normally frame, and I think I might have that.  Shame, you need a Carp today to frame. I have a chance of the silvers pools if that big fish mike had was a Carp. We pack away, and all walk down to 15 to start the weigh in at the flier.

 Amazingly Chris has chased the Carp for 4 hours with no joy and resorted to silvers catching some nice roach for 2 lb 4.5 oz in the last hour.  Jimmy had done the same on 14 and had a dog Perch and tiddlers for a tying score of 2 lb 4.5 oz.  Gary takes that section with his Carp and a few bits for 4 lb 1 oz. Then its my quite respectable 3 lb 12 oz - normally a cracking silvers weight on this water and possibly a framing weight.


Magic Mike weighs in an extraordinary bag full for of dog perch skimmers and roach as well as a Daddy Chubb nearing 4 lb I would say.  So that was the fish that brought the sly smile.  What a performance, a red letter day on this lake.  I can kiss good bye to the silvers pools, never mind.

Leos next and the boy has done well bag of silvers and a lovely 4 lb+ Carp.  Steph had struggled after dropping half her pole in the lake, but still managed to weigh in. Next peg had gone home early and didn't weigh in.  Now for the spanner in the works.  The inevitable Ian Spanswick again!!!  He just cant stop this season, you cant deny the mans talent he is relentless.  Even today when I thought I have taken his scalp by doing him on silvers ( no hundred + silvers this week he only had 16 tiddlers for around 10 oz); he produces a two Carp one of which was around 7 lb.

You cant help but admire Ian and hes a lovely bloke, but I did feel for Mike.  His extraordinary performance deserved the super pools brown envelope.  Once again an enjoyable day with the Pewsey lads - the friendly club.
Scores on the doors.  Needed that bonus Carp to figure today - never mind. 5 More points towards my total, Spanners stretches away by 3 more.  He is he Sebastian Vettel of this years Championship.

The Happy money takers.  Special mention for Gary Perryman, wins his section, its nice to see a differant name on the sheet taking money.

 Canal next week, followed by the start of North Wessex Winter league.  Will try and get a couple of mid week matches in as I am on leave now.
 Leo ( left)  Spanners and Magic Mike Marsden.

No comments:

Post a Comment