Thursday 12 September 2013

First Knight - Fine and Dandy at Dandy's Ford

On leave at the moment so managed to get in a match at Dandys Ford Sherfield English.  In with the local big boy superstars; a challenge for me.  The general view was James Knight was booked in, so everyone was fishing for second place. So when I titled this First Knight, I wasn't thinking Richard Gere, just that James would be first.

Doesn't seem to matter what peg he draws the boy has skills.


The Clubhouse before the match.  Ego's to the fore as tales of match records and past escapades abound. Who took a pound from who recently etc.

Although I have been to the clubhouse before I have never fished the main lake so it was with the naivety of a average club angler that I drew peg 21 on the main lake.  Howls of derision as I had drawn the flier.  Unusual for me, and not much good if you have never been before, and don't know how to fish it.

Recent times have seen good bags from the margins.
17.5 meters to the island I fish as close as I can a full 16+ in 2.5 feet of water.  Fishing pellet and worm.  4 Fish on the bounce kicks it of , all around 6 to 8 ounce skimmer and roach to worm.  Change to 6 mill pellet and the roach keep coming.  So I come in closer  to the corner of the lily pads.  Other side of the island Knighter is slapping the water and fishing pellet shallow.  Working hard he is clearly already building a weight.  I decide to emulate as best I can by fishing up in the water.  6 Mill pellet gets the silvers so I change to 8 mil and the float is away.

My Hollo red 11 is straight into the Lillie's and snagged.  Clearly the fish are fighters and a heavier elastic is required to hold away from the Lillie's.  Change to my heaviest 13 hollo green, and this suffices for the smaller fish but the bigger ones still get away.

One of my issues is, having spent an hour banding pellet ready for the match, I have left them on the kitchen table with my bander.  So thanks to Mark Blake for lending me some bands.  Slowed me down though having to band pellet as I went.
Mark Blake (below)


and Dave Moody are Bagging.



I have wasted too much time coming in expectantly over the edge swim.  The rain is cold and persistent now and fish are still be caught around the lake.  Knighter the machine seems oblivious to the weather and is fish after fish with metronomic efficiency.

Everyone is know fishing down the edge and catching.  Not me my edge swim is just not going.  I have foul hooked and lost 7 in a row.  In my edge swim the fish are clearly there and milling around, but not getting their heads down and feeding positively.

So I go back to fishing the pads and alternate between a foot deep and three feet deep catching pound and half mirrors, commons and F1s.  Darkness comes all too soon and a reminder of how quick winter approaches, as the nights draw in.  Pack quickly and stories of hundred pound + nets are abound.  

As they are only paying top three I decide to tip back and not weigh in.  I have had 34 carp and a load of silvers.  I am clearly last.  Not to worry I have a had a good days fishing and really enjoyed myself at this picturesque fishery.  My fellow anglers implore me not to tip back and weigh in so I relent.

Weigh in and sure enough  I am last with 56 lb of Carp and 14 lb of silvers. I am slightly embarrassed at being last but delighted with my 70 lb total.  Several weights between 80 and a hundred make up the majority, but the top three go to:

1st. James Knight (there's a surprise) 145 lb
2nd.  Dwayne Seed 126 lb
3rd.  The evergreen Dave Moody 106 lb

Back to the clubhouse foe a warming cuppa and a share out of the cash.


James Knight in the middle with Dwayne to his left.  I am sure both Dave Moody and Knighter are thinking the same thing.  " I bet you feel honored to stand next to a class angler"!

Back on the Canal on Sunday and a chance to try and catch the lads ahead of me in the Championship.

See below:

Name Overall Position

Ian Spanswick 103 1
Simon Burden 76 2
Chris Rushton 74 3
Leo Pocock 72 4
Mike Marsden 66 5
Kevin Chubb 65 6
Gary Williams 61 7
Steve Hiscock 58 8
Paul Giddings 56 9
Jimmy Broomham 51 10
Will Tapper 50 11
Martin Arris 41 12
James Carty 32 13
Gary Perryman 28 14
Roly Phillips 22 15
Steve Dean 21 16
Dave Johnson 21 17
Pete White 17 18
Kevin Moore 17 19
Steph Arris 12 20
Robin Pearce 12 21
Nick Worter 8 22
Carol Kington 5 23
Gary Hay 3 24
Darren Tapper 0 24
Neil Pegrum 0 24
Steve Cross 0 24

No comments:

Post a Comment