Friday 10 July 2015

Opened up by JC

Short blog for this short evening open.  It was a lovely pleasant summer evening the sort that come September you would look back and think why didn't I fish the summer evening Opens Pewsey's Kevin Chubb organises.

So it was with surprise that I noted a small but hardy turnout.  Looking at the opposition I decided to hope for a good draw and treat it as a pleasant evening on the canal. Which indeed it was.  Except for the biting horseflies and the horrendous cloud of thunder bugs.  It was one of Gods best days.

Gary Etheridge scrounged maggots from me and I scrounged a few squat from Spanners.  I said hello to Pete White, it was good to see him on the towpath again. Martin as always was bouncing and announced he wasn't going to kick our combined ass's .

Kev announced the draw and James was in drawing the far end peg. Worse was I drew next to him, and Kev the bread drew the other end. Having gone a quid with spanners I was regretting it already; I passed him on the peg I drew in the bait tech, knowing it was 3 lb peg and had resident bigger fish. Next Gary the fish Etheridge also in a reasonable slot.

Peg 14 Martin and me on 15.  14 and 15 aren't bad pegs just they are baron and featureless and when you have James next to you directly in front of overhanging tree.  Still no use bitchin, as I say lovely day and lets enjoy.

A faint call from Kev on the end got us underway and both JC and I were within 30 minutes talking about lack of fish. both of us had squat fish for around 6 to 8 ounces, and so I ground it out. Picking of the small stuff.  Worm or bigger baits meant a fruitless 3 minute wait, before a change back to pinkie instantly received the attention of a gudgeon or two.

Surprisingly 2 hours in the float dipped and although dotted down didn't go under, I hit anyway and after a 5 minute fight on 3 elastic i got it back to the net.  It was foul hooked on the outside of his mouth and in a final flick of the tail the 2 lb hybrid was gone taking any chance of pools.

James immediately topped up the worm line and bagged a Bream and 2 hybrids.  Me, well Gary the fish had also lost a hybrid at the net, Spanners lost one under his feature bush, and Pete White and Kev were catching slightly bigger fish on worm.

Despite my efforts the big stuff wasn't there and I was making basic mistakes like dropping fish swinging in and in one case missing my keep net with a 3 ounce Perch. You have to laugh don't you - no!

So all out and along to James, his Bream and 2 hybrids making him favourite for the win. see below.

Me next, busy night of squat fish but probably no where in the match.  Not a loss though more lessons learnt and starting to know the Milk House pegs now.


on down the line and its close between me and Spanners 3 oz, I know I'm an idiot for swing in fish and or missing the keep net with fish.

So quid to Spanners and the final board. Well done to JC and Kev for taking the spoils , see you at the next one.



No comments:

Post a Comment