Sunday 19 July 2015

Pewsey - I will not bow down at Bowdens - Step away from the Canal

It was without much enthusiasm that I started out reasonably early for Bowdens stretch, or Derricks stretch as I know it as matches I have attended there Derricks always seem to pick up money.  Not seen Derrick for a while hope he is OK I miss him hes a nice bloke.

Don't know why I don't draw well but its a fact of life, I accept now.  I may not have the proclivity of some to draw the winning pegs, but one things for sure if there are fish there I will catch em, and if they ain't there well no one can catch em.  Another thing about Bowdens is its a funny stretch, what we would call pegs 1 to 3 ( by the swing bridge) normally catch then its scratching time till you get up to Bowdens bridge then the pegs close to the bridge always produce skimmers.  So as much as I lacked enthusiasm for fishing today. I hoped for luck and an end peg.   I would not bow down to Bowdens, not today or any other day. I don't like it and I am sure it don't like me.

The rain and murk gave way to a warm sunny one and I hoped for a good draw as I unloaded the van and started the walk to the swing bridge.  Its going to be a busy week for fishing this week, last match of the season with some mates on Wednesday, and next week end, Bait Tech semi finals Saturday and Summer League round three at Chippenham on Sunday.

Sometimes too much fishing at once takes the edge of the enjoyment. But having picked up money in the last few matches I hoped to continue the coinage.

On the tow path going under Wilcot Bridge Kev in front of me stopped to re adjust his kit and we were remarking on how much stuff we take when suddenly, my foot went in a hole or on brick or something and I fell turning my ankle.

Worse still my entire trolley went of the edge and I whacked my head on the edge of the brick work as every thing including plummeted into the canal.. Even worse I had got the trolley wrapped around my coat somehow I was submerged on my back at the bottom of the canal with all my kit trolley and everything on top of me.

Oops, this was serious.  My wader boots filled but an air bubble in both the feet meant my feet were more bouyant than me, but after a considerable effort I got my feet down pushed the trolley (to be fair much of the kit was starting to float anyhow) up.  The inflatable tyre on the barrow helping.

Talking of help. Kev was sliding down the bank to help me secure things.  Clearly too heavy to lift I had to get the bungies off and between Kev and me (still up to my chest in the canal) stuff was unceremoniously dragged to safety.

Including me as Alan Gibbs arrived.  Good job I was slightly concussed vomiting lungs full of canal water, and my ankle was blue murder.

Chris Rushton and a few others got there and after realising what had occurred.  Strenuously suggested I go straight home.  After exchanging a few expletives, I told him I would not be giving him the opportunity of championship points and would be staying.  So after piling everything back on the barrow it looked like a pile of washing and I hobbled 200 mtrs to the draw.

The banter was rife once everyone realised I was sort of ok.  Vomiting more canal water, the comments came thick and fast.  

Nice Tsunami mate!  Did you see any fish?   Is the water warm enough for the fish to feed?  As I stripped of and was offered a sweatshirt from Leo, a few of the lads started to gag and vomit as they realised I go Commando.  Comments about the size of my manhood were quickly explained away by the coldness of the water etc.

The subject of the Dive itself came up and the lads gave their scores.  Not quite Tom Daly but not bad for first effort of the day



So after peeling a sopping wet tenner out of the wallet, I did the draw and got peg 4.  Hobbling to the peg I set about pegging my washing out along the black thorn bushes were it was catching the full sun.

Dizziness was taking over somewhat as the shock set in.  I didn't have a clue what I was doing my normal routine was blown away.  To make things worse  I looked left and saw Spanners on 3, and right I had Kev Chubb (my Hero) both are two of the in form canal anglers. God MUST hate me.

After a while everything was laid out in an increasingly warm sun; and every insect for a hundred miles was homing in on this 20 stone 6 foot canal smelling object for a feast.

The peg itself quite deep and a question from someone as to whether I would be getting in with my platform was meant with a stony glare from me.

A kindly member of the public went by and said excuse me you have dropped your wallet etc.  Thanks I said I know its there.  I fell in and I am trying to dry out my phone wallet paper money camera etc. That was a silly thing to do wasn't it ( as if I meant to do it) she remarked and moved on.

The egg shape lump on my head was now throbbing like a beating heart, luckily no blood but a fair bit of light headiness and dizziness washed over me and I shut my eyes and stepped away from the bank whilst it cleared.

The last of the canal water ejected itself from me throat as I finished setting up.  Ground bait was a sloppy right off and the crawling bait was making a break for it from every container.

I had lost my bread during the watery trip , but Kev gave me a slice.  The match got under way and to be honest I had a good looking swim with plenty of snaggy features. So was hopeful.  My new special mix of crushed hemp and caster was added to some very wet choppy worm and I baited up different lines.

As it happens there was no rush. Spanners was straight in and then that was it and the same for Kev. Me well the first of some monster crayfish, I mean real Lobster size were being dispatched but no fish.  Guessing at 2 hours in watch is not water proof, neither is a mobile phone I had my first fish a little roach.  Followed by 5 more crays.

I then dropped a 3 oz Perch un-shipping my pole.  Boats in front were regular and cyclists behind were not helping in fact it was waiting for a cyclist that I dropped the perch. A solid bite came about an hour later. After so much stillness it was like an electric shock and I almost missed it.  It shot under the bush to my left and eventually I had to pull for a break. Bugger, what a day.

Spanners was now into the lobsters and even Kev was catching them.  Squat would catch small fish , worm the better stamp.  But there were so many crays it was ridiculous.  You need the worm to settle for the fish but if you let it settle bang "finding Nemos" mate the lobster had it.

So by the end the constant boat traffic and the crayfish meant a few were leaving and not weighing in.  Sorry there are no photos but cameras and phone cameras are not compatible with canal water.

So to the scores.

Peg 11 Brian Shutler 1 lb 6.5 oz          15 Points
Peg 13 Leo Pocock   1 lb 4 oz             14 Points
Peg 6   Alan Gibb      1 lb 2 oz            13 Points
Peg 7   Pete White     1 lb                    12 Points
Peg 1 Morgan Plank (Junior)  15.5 oz 11 Points
Peg 3 Ian Spanswick  15 oz                 10 Points
Peg 2 Mark Russ        12 oz                   9 Points
Peg 9 Colin Weston    11 oz                  8 Points
Peg 12 Simon Burden   7.5 oz               7 Points
Peg 4 Me                       6.5 oz               6 Points
Peg 5 Kev Chubb          6.5 oz               6 Points
Peg 8 Steve Dean                                   DNW
Peg 10 Chris Rushton                            DNW

As I type the egg on my head is throbbing, my foot is up with bags of frozen peas on it.  It swelled to gala melon size when i took me boot off.

Fishing who needs it.................................I do.

1 comment:

  1. Gary as always a good read. Just as well you have a sense of humour

    ReplyDelete