Sunday 4 May 2014

Andover host Pewsey - Foxcotte Challenge

The last time I fished Foxcotte in anger was 1984 I was 20 and as you can see had a full head of curly hair a huge fan of Whitesnake and could catch a few Crucians and Tench as the pic shows.  I had just got rid of my wicker basket and bought a new Drennan plastic blue tackle box and a just bought my 3rd swing tip rod.  Which seemed an extravagance because why would you need more than 1 float rod and 1 feeder rod?  Andover was going through a period of flux and losing members to the newly formed and sponsored Grolsch team.  Downton were the local Team to beat and Pewsey was drawing in anglers from far and wide.  So it was with fond memories and some sadness that my brother and fishing buddy from them good old days was not with me as I drove east and Foxcotte bound.

Before I go much further I finished last week by wondering if my win and going top of the league after two matches was enough to retain the reading following of my beautiful stalker Mrs Christine Moody?  Well I needn't have worried a trip to the tackle shop today not only resulted in collecting my quality bait for todays match and tomorrow's (Si Irwins open on the canal); but a hug, peck on the cheek and a little gift from Christine please note the lovely chocolate egg below.
Thanks Chris xxx

So we all met at the car park for the draw.  I was to meet Gerry Blunt and or Les Thirlaway. Gerry I know well from Army fishing and Les, well as said earlier long time since I had seen him god knows I have not aged well so don't know about Les.  We agreed that the match would be on total team weight with normal pools for places.  

Foxcotte had changed.  For one thing it was full of water in the 80's it wasn't unusual to be sat 10 feet from the bank on gravel and fishing 2 foot of water instead of the 6 or 7 you should be.  Luckily these days the sluice fed pond is full.  Not so lucky is a lot of the pegs are almost un-fishable due to dense weed in the crystal clear water.

Taken from out going sluice bridge car park end, Peg one to the left and 45 to the right.  The first thing to greet me was the lads showing me some video footage of a dog Otter and its cubs frolicking away between Peg 1 and 45.  Pity the poor sod who draws either of those pegs!! Well 45 was left out.

I managed to draw peg 44, much to the laughter of the locals (completely the wrong end of the lake, and complete with Otter). Apparently its good later in the year when it colours up, but today I could see the bottom at 12 meters at 7 foot deep!!!  In fact if you look in the photo above that's gravel you see at the bottom of the pic at 5 foot deep.  The deal was 3 sections and pay top 3.  As Andover only had 7 men , it would be our best 7 weights from 11.

It was clear from the start that the gin clear water meant the fish were spooked by the pole above their heads.  Bit like Horshoe lake last year a waggler approach was the way forward.  There was a hell of a tow from right to left as the water rushed toward the out fall.  However I persevered pinging a few pinkie as maggot had not touched em.  16 Mtrs of pole was ok but it cast a shadow and to be honest the bottom was covered in weed so anything I put in just sank into it in seconds.

It was strange like fishing in a goldfish bowl or bathwater.  Despite the clear water the one thing I couldn't see was fish.  It was devoid of them. Don't think the Otter family helped.

I could see Brian Shutler on the Bungalow bank and he was hitting into some big bream and skimmers on the waggler.  He was feeding with his pole at full 16 and then fishing over the weed of the bottom.  So I tried the the same with no joy.  The match was half way through before I had any indication of a bite.  So I decided to see if I could just be the guys around me.  Les Thirlaway was two to my right and Steve Trevett on my right with derek Hillier of Pewsey on my left.

3 Hours in and I noted a flash at about 6 mtrs on my short line, so I dropped the punch over the flash and hooked a tiny roach.  From nowhere Pike and then the elastic was ripping out as it took of with my fish.  Marvellous. Steve Trevett had had a roach and perch about 2 ounces each and Les had a couple of tiny fish.  Finally with an hour to go I worked it. Half a pinkie on a size 24, with 0.6 or 12 oz line and 2 elastic.  Ended up on the whistle with 17 fish for 14 oz; and the 7th best weight for Pewsey on the day.
So back to the car park for the results. I had managed to beat Steve Trevett , Les Thirlaway and Derek so all all the blokes around me but to no avail me thinks.



So Andover totted up their 7 weights and that came to 14 lb 3 oz.  Our best 7 me being the 7th, came to 40 lb 12 oz.  A stonking win, well done lads. Even if you took Brian Shutlers (Bream shoal) off the total we would have still won with 16lb +

Bonus, because the top three weights came in my section my 14 oz wasn't to no avail after all, i picked up cash for quadruple default section win - get in.

So local bragging rights to Pewsey and we await the return challenge match on the canal next month.  Only fly in the ointment was seeing Spanners hand over a third quid in a row to Chris.  With the summer league not far away I am not sure if I should be pleased at Chris Rushtons good form or Ian Spanners Spanswicks below par form?

Still back on the Canal tomorrow for a Bank Holiday Open against the top local talent.


No comments:

Post a Comment