Sunday 11 May 2014

Pewsey Lake match 2. A day to forget

Continuing health problems meant I was really not up for it today; but as Lake Match organiser I was obliged to show.  If I was going to show then I was going to fish for sure.  They rain belted down as I headed for the lake.  Draw was a little behind as people drifted in a little late, but eventually the Golden peg was drawn as 15, put back in and after non showing from some the 15 of us got under way.  Just like to say thank you to Brian Shutler for giving me a hand to the bank and back afterwards with my tackle. I was absolutely exhausted, and not well at all.
Still that's not an excuse for the way I fished. I committed cardinal sin after cardinal sin.  First catching fish well on the whip I stopped as Chris on the next peg caught a skimmer.  I stopped fishing my own match and started to play catch up.  Should have stayed on the whip the fish were coming fast and furious, what an idiot.  Then instead of doing one thing properly I was all over the place trying this and that with no real joy.

 Steve Hiscock to the left of Chris had a daddy chub 3 lb+. So he was leading our section. Brian on my right (next section) was struggling for bites, but trying all sorts and Spanners to his right was bashing the small stuff and had caught one of the recently stocked Crucians.

Simon to his right was 4 Carp up and Will T had, had Carp and Chubb.  That's how it went for the rest of the match . Chris had another skimmer I had one and there was a pound between us I reckoned. With an hour to go Brian had hit on a method of fishing shallow at 17 meters + on the pole.  It resulted in several 3 lb+ Chubb and two Carp.

Again I stopped and moved of feeding fish to chase Brian's bigger fish. Just not thinking straight. Still I was 2nd or third in my section so good points.  But wait Steve had a perch to go with his Chubb and few silvers and with 5 minutes to go Neil who was on 3 oz had a near 4 lb Chubb.  Oh woe is me. So I had just enough breath to blow the whistle and Chris shouted fish on with a small roach.  Dived behind my peg for a burning bloodstained piss, what a relief.

So to the weigh in.

Brian is the winner with Will T second. Wills weight was 2 Daddy Chubb for 8lb 12 and 4 Carp for 10 lb +.  Then third was Simon Burden  bar 8 oz all Carp for 17 lb +

Chris had pipped me by a pound as expected, but Neil's last minute 4 lb Chubb had pushed me down further  and so had Steve's last gasp Perch to go with his 3 lb + Chubb. I would have settled for 6 points so 5 was a disappointment no more top of the league me thinks. Chris 's shout of fish on with a little roach had been enough for him to pip Steve and gain an extra point.

Chris was also sad to see his run of pound coins from Spanners end; as he had to hand one back.

Well done to the top three (Will left and Simon in the middle)

Viaduct mid week if I am up to it.  Then next weekend Wolfhall Marlborough Canal and the first round of teams of four Summer League.



No comments:

Post a Comment