Sunday 25 May 2014

Pewsey Canal match 2 - Aarr! Bristows

Medication didn't really help me sleep and so I listened to the thunder and pouring rain through an open bedroom window.  Dawn came around 4 .14 am and the call of the Tawny owl from the woods across the road, was replaced by the morning chorus. The chattering sparrows and the arghh arghh of the rooks as the rookery burst into life. Decided to go downstairs and have early breakfast of toast and bramble jelly and a cup of PG.

Walked the dogs and fed the chickens and then got under way, a circling Red Kite cried its wistful cry to the morning high above me; and the Granny Bonnets and Poppies in my garden tried hard to shake off the night rain and lift their heads to meet the morning sun. The Ipod played the La's track "There she goes" and the fresh morning sun seemed to fill my veins just as the drug in the song I was listening to did.

Despite being what I thought was early; the limited car parking was already full and kit was being unloaded as anglers went down the slope at the side of Bristows Bridge to the canal.  Leo was already taking money having pegged 1 at the bridge stretching away to Iron bridge for the higher numbers.

I had peg 10. Thanks to the Reid's Tackle team for brilliant service in replacing my number six section in under a week. No savings left though.
 Opposite me and slightly right a half collapsed tree came nearly half way across the canal.  This meant any boat coming would have to come up the inside right by my platform.
Still it gave me a feature on the far side as  could slide the rig under the tree, surely a holding spot for fish. I had drawn in the section with quality local superstar canal anglers.  Nobody likes this stretch though and good as they are, we new it would be tough today.  Chris Rushton on my right is right in form
Coming back into form -Ian Spanners Spanswick - and never of the top Simon Burden were to my left.
Leo had gone off to work so I shouted the all in and lowered my worm over the track. Before the bait was half way to the bottom the float was already ripping right and the 3 elastic bottomed out quickly.  Managed to get the fish back to just the top kit it was either a big hybrid or Perch. Holding the tip in the water the elastic was full out again then the cold splintering sound as the top kit crumbled.
Philosophically I tackled up again.  That's two weeks running.  I hope this trend ends right now! As in the open match on this stretch a few weeks ago the bites were few and far between, hence the nickname of cyanide straight. Still stuck on a tiny red worm and tried again.
Nobody except the inevitable Spanners was catching and rumour has it he had 17 fish already, not big ones but fish.  
His Sensas pole flashed back and forth, he must have a back made of iron to fish so long and shallow and so fast. Still hes only a pup not like some of us.  Si Burden was struggling, still he always says hes struggling and then amazingly at the end he has a net full!

I keep plugging away and get a few fish every now and then when the canal starts to tow.  When the canal stops moving the bites stop coming.  Boats and Kayaks in front of me and walkers and cyclists behind.  Still tempers are being held in check and we are all being very polite with each other.  People are starting to walk the bank and in the shady spots its probably 5 degrees cooler than in the sun.  I take heart that I am still getting a few bites but I am mad with myself for bumping two 6 ounce Perch at the net.  You just cannot afford to miss any fish in a canal match one fish can mean so many championship points.

So the all out is called and I think I have 12 oz, Spanners indicates he has more....bugger the lost fish will make a difference I am sure.
Sure enough Spanners pips me, (33 fish1 lb 6 and half oz) to my 20 fish 14 oz - the lost Perch would have give me a win. The ever reliable Danny Jones is third.  Chris Rushton takes our section by double default and our newest member Lee Knight takes the other section. Almost the maximum 15 points have to settle for 14.

Left to right Spanners, me, Danny, Lee, and Chris.


Chris looking a little down as he realises that the pound coin bet goes Spanners way this week and below he reluctantly hands it over to a happy Spanners.
 Next week return match against Andover on Wilcot road further along look forward to seeing you there.










No comments:

Post a Comment