Tuesday 27 May 2014

Queens Birthday Bash at the Pewsey Lake

Had a few hours spare from mid morning today as I enjoyed the privilege day granted to civil servants for the Queens birthday.  Brian Shutler was already at the Pewsey lake and had had two carp and two skimmers. As I tackled up his elastic ripped out again and the winner of the last lake match was in again.
 He sat patiently as the carp tired itself against the hydro elastic, and then switched to stripping the elastic to get the carp closer.
Eventually though the carp snagged under the tree to his right and pulled free. I decided to get on with fishing and stop photographing Brian.  He was on peg 6 and I had already decided to pick peg 4. It would be easy to pick one of the high number flyers but what do you learn from that.

I was trying different things as well today, different bait different approach, bigger hooks thicker line, even a maggot feeder on the tip. I only had aprox two and half hours. So lets get on.  The whole lake was alive.  A lovely clean green colour and fish feeding everywhere.  Massive patches of fizzing bubbles and fish leaping excitedly in a frenzy.

Dropped in the bait and was in straight away.
A lovely Perch the sort that really builds a weight in a match. Except in the matches this stamp of fish is normally at the other end of the lake.  Where these better fish go is a mystery to me but it is good news that they are still there in abundance. And they kept coming not the tiddler Roach proper fish 6 to 8 ounce fish; a delight to see.  Even a small linear mirror not one we have stocked made a show.

Every fish was worth having and it was one a chuck.  Brian was grumbling a little as I was already starting to catch him up.  Still a run of skimmers cheered him up a little.  I was in awe of a huge Common Carp, surely a lake record of around hovering over my whip line. I flicked a worm in front of it and it sucked it in hoover style before it was 8 inches under the surface. So after dobbing unsuccessfully for 10 minutes I left it alone, it seemed to know the difference of a bait with a hook in; I suppose if you get to its age you will learn a few things. Also in view far side was 5 huge Chubb, smallest was I estimate 3 lb and going on that the biggest an incredible 5 and half plus.

Still back to reality and the skimmers are showing in my peg. Showing signs of a vigorous spawning, with scratches and marks as well as being very rough and the obligatory tubercles.
 The sky had turned black and the wind was getting bullish with the trees in the wood behind me. It forced me to take a look at the watch.  Brian was muting on going home, as he had a bag full in about three hours, and said he had a few ideas for the next match - that doesn't bode well for the rest of us.  I decided to stick to a promise to the wife to only fish for a couple of hours and also drew my session to an end.

Even if you don't like match fishing the Pewsey Lake is a lovely place for pleasure anglers full of fish and a great place to enjoy the moment when the float tip dips away and you await with expectation  - how big is this one gonna be. Probably near10 lb in two hours love it. Some lovely Roach a dozen peas in a pod at 8 oz plus some lovely skimmers and Perch, oh and don't forget the little Carp.

Brian also emptied his net(s). His Carp net was smaller of course and there was a lovely long "old" wildie a true throwback to the days of Monks and Monasteries and the start of it all. Bugger should have got a pic, then the silvers net all in all around 15 lb.


Back on the "Cut" Sunday lets hope the float dips as regular as it does at the Lake.











No comments:

Post a Comment