Sunday 27 April 2014

Pewsey Canal kicks off

Belting along in the flyer, Roger Daltrey screaming Baba O'Reilly in my ear. Trying to windmill my air guitar like Pete Townshend, but there isn't a great deal of room in the van cab. So I flip to beating the steering wheel like Keith Moon on a bad day.

Tea and Toast sitting heavy as I had ate in hurry to get to the early draw.  Good idea having the early draws, it gets you fishing before the boats and people get going.  That we you can getting a few fish in the net early doors always good on the canal. Early finish too, keeps the wives club happy. Everyone is a winner.

Before we start, I have had a message from my stalker Christine Moody.  Her hubby the ever miserable Dave Moody tells me Christine is going to stop following the blog unless I buck up and produce better results.  No pressure then.

Draw Bag.  That's what we should call Spanners, he must have sold his soul to the Devil.  Leo had put the turning bay in for the first time in years. Who should draw the end peg (again) and the bay but yours truly. He's the handsome soul below grinning ear to ear below.
Steve Dean (foreground) had the other half of the Bay and I was 30 yards away.  Still I was glad to be in the high numbers.  I hope the new Championship (Canal match 1) is a sign of good or better draws to come.  Now lets catch some fish.

Starting with a plan.  Bread line 3 mtr whip close in pinkie across and squat against the boat. Leo shouts the all in and i swing out the punch on the whip.  As the bread hits bottom the float slides away and a 2 oz roach swings toward me. Quick unhook and back in. Nothing for 5 minutes. Change to pinkie again the float slides away and a lovely "Tommy Ruffe" graces my hand.  In fact I going make a claim for the club canal record me thinks.
Another ten bite less minutes, and I was just thinking it was slow.  Back on the punch and a twitch, dip and slide away. Oops this is better.  Trouble is on a flick tip you just gotta hang on! So for a couple of minutes I did as the hybrid Bream Roach ripped up my inside line. Eventually I slipped the net under it and was glad to see it drop in the keep net.
Boat comes through so with the inside line trashed I have to o across on the squat.  The canal is shallow on the boat section so the silt is really taking awhile to settle.  The rain is really hammering it down and there hasn't been a bite for over an hour. People are starting to walk the bank to keep warm and to see whats being caught.  Rumour has the low pegs are struggling.  Now if quality Canal anglers like Leo, Si Burden, Kev Chubb, Danny , Chris and Si Irwin are struggling then it must be bad.  I don't get it along the entire stretch not one person is catching.  Water temperature is dropping as the cold rain pounds in. Fish are rolling and topping everywhere but not biting.  I venture the theory that they might be starting to spawn.

Steve Dean, agrees with my theory and suggests that my hybrid must be the only gay fish in the canal, as at least it was feeding.  Si Irwin has had enough and in a break in the rain packs up and leaves early as does Chas Short .  Steve Dean still hasn't had a bite and Spanners has had just a TINY Perch.

The all out is called and not a moment too soon. Spanners weighs in his 1 oz Perch. Steve DNW.  Me well, my Ruffe was exactly an ounce and I will be applying for the record! A 2 oz roach is added to my 13 oz Hybrid for exactly a pound. Tales of woe and incredible sights like Kev Chubb blanking meets us we trudge back, in another torrential downpour.

So to the scores on the doors.

So I've won what a lovely feeling to win a canal match. Its not the money it is the 15 points genuinely it is, oh and the fact that Christine Moody will still read my blog. Lol.

So to the pictures.  Well done to Chris Rushton he was more pleased with his pound bet win with Spanners than taking joint third with Danny Jones.

Now for some brilliant news the ever improving Martin Aris takes second place and was well chuffed with his super pools and second place brown envelope.

Chris Glover picks up section by default in his first Pewsey match, welcome and well done.  Leo and Brian lose out by half an ounce to Si Burden who takes his section by default.

So to the winners. Not sure what prize Danny is giving to Martin but he seems pleased!!

Off to Andover next week for a challenge match against them on Foxcotte Lake. Followed by an open on the canal for Monday (Bank Holiday) - see you there.  Nice feeling to be top of the league I will cherish it.






1 comment:

  1. another good read Gary, always good to win on a tough day.

    ReplyDelete