Saturday 1 March 2014

Miracle and Withy back on the map

I saw two miracles today the sun shone warm on a re-opened for business Witherington farm, and there were customers in Reid's tackle and the Cafe' prompting a second miracle a big smile from papa bear Dave Moody.  I have had a bad week and needed to clear my head.  Fishing is great for clearing the mind.

To start with the fog was thick but as it cleared so did my head; and it became a beautiful still warm spring day, a great tonic.  As the fog cleared I realised how clear the water was.  I could see clear to the bottom in the five feet of water at my feet.
I decided not bother with the pole as I was concerned the shadow of the pole over gin clear water might  spook the fish.  Set up a tiny 2 BB drake quill float on 2lb line and a pound bottom to 22 hook, pinkie as bait.  A little ground bait and squat cup of tea and I made a start. Also set up a small cage feeder for the longer range stuff.

20 minutes in and excuse the pun but it was clear my thrashing a "too" light float into such clear water was pushing any fish further out into the lake.  So I quick change to a heavier float and longer range tactics ensued.  Mark Cannings along the bank was catching on the pole but as it got brighter we both struggled.  I did have a few tiny 2 to 3 ounce skimmers but nothing of size.

Two lads on 7 and 8 were flinging boilies to the horizon and had already landed a lovely 20lb Carp.  It was good to see people catching again at Withy.  Dark days are over.  Marks elastic is stretching out and before long a large Carp bulged his keep net and bent the landing net handle.

My first two fish were a long way apart and both a surprise as they were a 1 lb and then a 12 oz Rainbow trout!!! Clearly washed in from the floods.  I deposited them back in the River Avon and kept going but it was hard.  Seagulls swooped and water rippled and bulged as the sub surface fish were spooked by them.  

Danny, stopped by for a chat about tomorrow's match on the canal and I embarrassingly missed a few bites, talking to him.  He decided to leave and let me concentrate  Commenting on the explosion of fry of to my left. I dropped a worm in the middle of the exploding fry and before it was half-way to the bottom the rod tip was pulling hard right.
A lovely fat Perch was the reward.  I did a short underarm cast in front whist I had a cup of tea to enjoy the moment  and I was shocked the see the float slide away.  A panicked botched strike and hot tea spilt down my front saw the fish missed but it made me think.  Perhaps pinkie, squat and small baits wasn't the way today.

So upped the hook size to an 18 put on a worm and pinkie cocktail a cast back to the original baited area.  Sure enough a quick response and I was in again.  This time it was Chubb of all things around a pound.  Another flood refugee I suppose. 

Didn't know "Barnmoor" had Chubb in it; but two more around the 1 lb and a bit size followed quickly.  Then a beautiful Rudd again about a pound.  Following this two pristine roach around 8 to 10 ounces and a five ounce Dace!  Yes Dace in a lake. 

All too soon 1 pm came and the wife was badgering me on the mobile wanting to be picked up in town. The session had to end mores the pity.  But it was nice. Nice to catch a variety of lovely fish, and even nicer to see Dave Moody smiling and people back in the shop.

Don't wanna preach , but support your local tackle shop you will miss them if they go.


No comments:

Post a Comment