Sunday 30 March 2014

Pewsey Pleasurable Dillema for Angling Times Bait Tech

Short blog today, just a Practice at Seend Park ahead of next weeks Angling Times Bait Tech comp.
 Kev Chubb joined me and Chris wasn't far behind.  Even Brian Shutler turned out for a look although he couldn't stay for long due to other commitments.

Mothers day commitments had hit the team badly.  However the lads are not short on commitment.  All of those interested in gaining a slot in the final 8 on the day have been putting in many hours over the last few weeks, learning about the swim trying different methods and baits etc.

Its our first outing under the heading of Pewsey Match Group. The group comprises of a wide variety of talent including veterans of recent successes in Wessex Winter league and other local comps. A new extension of Pewsey and District AA, the PMG is dipping its toes in many competitions now including National types like this the AT Bait Tech. and is developing a long term plan to encourage all and in particular Junior anglers to join the club.  This duel approach also allows us to test our metal against other top anglers in the area and gauge where we are as force in local Match Angling.

Devizes our hosts (and last Years Div 2 Champs) were also on the bank so there were lots of side ways looks at bait trays and tackle being used as people made their way to their chosen pegs.  Some of the lads in the Devizes team are also members of Pewsey club, but being long term members of Devizes as well have found them self with torn loyalties I am sure.  One thing is clear the mutual respect and friendship will not change or be affected by a fishing match, and it certainly has added some spice.








So Kev Chris and I set about putting on our game faces.  As did Devizes, friends we are but pride and local bragging rights are on this so its serious stuff to some.



Chris and Kev started well I was a little slower but when the came it was steady stuff.  I looked to my right and saw Kev struggling with a monster Perch on the whip.  Chris too was shipping in and out with big Perch and skimmers the order of the day.
I too hit into a huge Perch.  My personal best is been unchanged in 20 years and remains at 1 lb 12 oz.  However this dog of a fish was well over 2 and half.  The 3 elastic ripped back and forth and various reeds and detritus gathered like washing on a line between the base of the float and hook.eventually the old fella tired and came toward the net.  Holding a couple of sections and top kit skyward I stretched with the landing net suddenly the washing slid down the line onto the fishes head what a mess.  As I started to worry about my tiny hook holding under the pressure it pinged free - gutted that was a nice Fish.

The only fly in the ointment on this beautiful day was the increase in Holiday boat traffic.  I have no issues with "proper" canal boaters, but the green horn holiday makers I despair.  Rude, ignorant and in some cases loud and obnoxious.

I was building a reasonable bag of fish as I fished my way into the day; but the holiday'ers were starting to peg me back.  There were various interruptions including one boat which had strapped another to it and was effectively two abreast coming through.  On each occasion you have to let the silt settle the start again.  Musn't bleet if your given Lemons you make Lemonade not ask for Oranges.  So this new unusually positive approach from me saw me overcoming problems and continue catching.  Perhaps I am becoming a better angler after all.

Unfortunately even my positive approach had to succumb to a holiday family which I am sure were from the cast of Shameless, approached.  Making their way down the canal with the "S" shaped movements of a snake they decided to "park" as they called it to my left.  Having moored the comical but sad effort to disembark involved short skirted "Bet Lynch" types jumping ashore as to walk the plank was too difficult.  The sheer force of their swinging chandelier earrings too much for their high heels. 

So to the dulcet tones of screaming banshee of a woman saying, "Barry" repeatedly and at a higher volume each time. I tried to concentrate. After walking up the bank "Barry" came back to "Sharon"  to announce. "Shaz, there ain't no where to have a S**t, you'll have to use the boat bog"! Oh Barry I don't want too.

So it was no surprise that they decided to go back through my swim and back to the Seend boatyard to use a "proper bog" as Shaz put it. Amazingly though Barry hadn't quite grasped the fact that he couldn't reverse the whole way down the canal till I pointed it out to him as he came close.  He did say he needed to turn around. I explained he would have to go forward and find a turning bay as the canal was too narrow to turn here.

So it was with withering disappointment and no particular surprise that I witnessed Barry attempting a 15 point turn; ramming his bow, and stern into the bank side as he did so.  
This was the last straw they completely destroyed my swim as the canal turned to a silted mulligatawny soup. What a complete idiot, but I did have some sympathy his ears must have been bleeding from Shaz, who continued to say she needed the bog.

After exchanging pleasantries with Barry as he then full throttled it through my swim. I got up and walked away in the hope the swim would settle and I could keep going.  Had a little chat with a couple of the guys from Devizes and Kev Chubb whose swim was also in disarray from the the SS Shameless. 

James Carty was trying to bluff me that it was tough day and the Devizes lads were struggling.  Equally he must have thought he I was bluffing when I said I had double figures in the net. Only I wasn't it had been a busy day and I did think I was on double figures.

After 20 minutes Kev and I decided to call it a day the canal had not settled and was filthy,  fishing was ruined.  I went back to my peg to find the fish gulping in the top ring as they tried to gill filter the filth that swirled through keepnet a present from Barry and Co.

That was it I decided to let them go and find some clear water.  I was a little disappointed when I lifted the net. Not quite the double figures I had thought but nevertheless a nice bag. I had well out done Kev, but Chris would have beat me in a match the big Perch being the difference.

Got to pick the last 8, the team for the match now.  Was going to drop myself; but I am left with that pleasurable dilemma that PMG have got more anglers worthy of a slot than are required.

Captains decision watch this space................................



No comments:

Post a Comment