Sunday 23 March 2014

Pewsey Inaugural Pairs competition 2014

Glad to get going today the house has an atmosphere.  Once again my mouth has let me down, really must learn to engage the brain before speaking.  Wife is upset with me as I cracked a joke at her expense and no amount of apology will fix it seems.

She was feeling low so I told her not to worry she had a body from Baywatch.  Unfortunately while enjoying the moment she heard the second part in which I said she had face from Crime watch!  Not funny apparently.

So it was on to the bank early and I was grateful to Leo for getting up early and helping with the pegging. The canal looked awful a horrible brown oxtail soup colour and texture as the multiple kayakers have been ripping up for a week ahead of some competition.
Still it was the same for most of the 24 anglers who turned out for this inaugural Pairs match.  I had 12 pegs either side of Bowdens bridge.  Everyone booked in a we set about the match. Punch on the inside for me, not hopeful but though I would try it. Hemp and Caster swim and a ground bait swim squat across if I could get through the crap. Between pegging and the start of the match the westerly winds had brought more stuff into the match area, Still nothing we could do know.

Boats came through and cleared some of the crap, but after 3 and half hours I had a blank on the cards and to be honest I was panicking. Gary Etheridge next to me left, had put together a few small fish and had possibly 8 oz.  Steve Hiscock on my right had a 5 oz skimmer and roach in the first 10 minutes on the waggler, but nothing else.

The thunder and lightning boomed and flashed down came the snow and hail and I was feeling distinctly miserable.

The match was fished in a blind pairs format.  Draw fish then draw names again after the match to see who had been fishing with whom.  Weights were added up and total heaviest combined were the winners.  So you can imagine I was thinking up excuses to tell my potential partner.

The far side cleared enough for a rig to get through.  So I scaled down to a 24 and single squat. At last the float dipped and the 2 elastic barely moved, must be the bottom.  But no my first fish.
At half an inch long this yearling Perch was gratefully received I wasn't going to blank.  It didn't get any easier and at the blowing of the whistle I had 22 small fish for a total  9 oz. Steve to my right had his skimmer and roach also for 9 oz.  Gary to my right had 1 lb 5 oz and Kev to his left 1 lb 2 oz.
 The other side of the bridge on the way past the sunken barge fished slightly better as expected but it was still a struggle, except for Gary Williamson who hit on a pod of skimmers.
So it was back to the Golden Swan pub to do the math and re draw to see who had been fishing with who and hand out prizes.

Before the draw we did the super pools for the individual top weights £50, £35 and £20 went to Gary Williamson, Paul Giddings and Mike Bernstein respectively and a bottle of Jack Daniels to Steve Trevett for being closest to the mystery weight of 14 oz on the day.

 The re draw was complete and this was it.
Very tight between pairs 8,  1 lb 15 oz, pair 9, who had 1 lb 14 and a half ounce, and pair 10 who had 1 lb 13 and half.
So to the Prizes
 Fourth Mike Bernstein and Steve Dean
Third Dave Johnson and Alan Brown

Second those regular winners Ian Spanners Spanswick and Mike Marsden

And Finally me handing over the trophy to the Inaugural Pairs Champions Gary Williamson and Danny Jones worthy winners.  Sharing 100 notes, collecting the annual award Trophy (in the middle) as well as there individual trophies which they will keep for ever I am sure.

Thanks to all who helped get this off the ground . With particular thanks to Leo for helping with pegging etc.










No comments:

Post a Comment