Sunday 9 March 2014

Pewsey Lake Championship home straight and finish line

Walking on Sunshine (Katrina and the waves), reasons to be cheerful (Ian Dury) and Happy Jack(the Who); accompanied me as I bowled along in the bright morning sunshine.  Couldn't help but soak in the good weather and the promise of a dry warm day.

After a false call last time today was really the last Lake Championship match. Whilst Ian was in first place with 73 Points, I was second with 68; it was no forgone conclusion that I would catch him.  Or indeed stay ahead of those on my heels Chris 61, Simon 60, or Jim 64. Needed a few of these...................
Needed to draw peg 10 or above to be on the skimmers it seemed; but I drew Peg 9 - close though. Once again had Jim on my left and Brian on 10 to my right. Simon had drawn one end peg and Chris the other.  Ian can catch fish in a puddle but needed him to have a bad day and others in the section like Chris and Brian to keep him down.  Then need to win my section.

This might sound weird to some.  But as Pewsey Lake widens at peg 10 fish have a habit of frequenting the high numbers on match day.  To this end the and to make it a little more fair their are 8 points available in each section section winner 8 points down to 1 point for 8th in section.

I have done well on the lake in match's and pleasure sessions a lately and fancied I had worked it out.  So when I sat down I was ready and after three cash packets from the last three matches I was confident.

But it fished poorly.  I think everyone thought it was summer because we have had a nice couple of days; a lot of bait went in at the start.  Yet the lake is very deep and the water is still cold.  Brian on my right was in straight away and caught well pretty much steadily through the match.

Martin Aris last weeks third place whooped with joy at landing a Carp down in Ians section and Robin Pearce had, had a lovely Billy Perch. Ian was on his small stuff and bagging. In my section Gary P had 5 tiny fish and jimmy had had a few Perch but apart from Simon bagging on the end peg our section was unique in its lack of action.

Ian had a few skimmers to boost his weight at around noon, by which point I had 2 fish for an ounce in my net.  Time for drastic action.  Out went the tip dead maggots on the hook, and micro pellet on the method. Tightened down and the tip wrenched around no need for a strike. The fish was on then it was off and I was left with a scale bigger than the two fish I had. Another bite less hour, and I was on the waggler and pinging maggot for a few tiny roach, when the float went under and the rod bent into a big fish.  Fiddling with the line clip I nearly lost it, but managed to unhook the clip, only to let the fish go solid in a rooty snag.  Another fish gone.

That was it till the last 20 minutes when I had a few on a single red pinkie. to end up with 22 fish for 14 oz.
So how did the others do?
Simon took the section and second in match with a bag of roach and Perch for 5lb 9 oz, 8 points The rest had struggled Jims Perch 7 points had pushed me back to 3rd in section and six points.

Ian had won his section the silvers pool and match with 8 lb + a worthy Champion. Brian was second in section and third in match Chris had a nice Perch from the end peg, but his 5th place in section was only worth 4 points.  Well done to Robin and Martin, one big fish each supplementing their weights.
Robin and his two pounder
Chris with his big Perch
So thats it then my first full season with Pewsey over.  What a thoroughly enjoyable year, with some very friendly lads. Came nowhere on the canal champs, but close in Lake Championship.  AGM tomorrow night but I think this is how the Lake Champs finished I think.

Ian 1st with 81 Points
Me 2nd with 74 points
Jim 3rd with 71 points
Simon 4th with 68 points
Chris 5th with 66 points.

Well done lads Ians bag and the top three.





Could have been worse I suppose, If I had done my maths correctly that also consolidates me in 4th for the overall combined canal and Lake Championship.  Room for improvement next year. Although could be tight next year lots of new members and competition exciting times ahead.

The day was over and only the drive home to do.  That proved to be eventful as well as two young soldier lads misjudged a bend in my village and ended up in the river, thank fully no one hurt bad.  Just shock and a polluted river.




No comments:

Post a Comment