Saturday 21 December 2013

The 2013 Blogscars Or Fishing OSCARS

Is it really a year since I wrote the following.....................

Welcome to Mid Section Blues. My name is Gary , I am old, and after returning to Match Fishing - struggling to succeed.  The inspiration for this blog was to share with all those like me the frustrations of those of us brave souls; who turn out to every match pay our pools and struggle against the superstars of local match angling. 
It is hoped this blog is the catalyst/lucky charm that will - just for once - help the underdog to catch that one fish, that will give me a section win.  A man can only take 2nd or 3rd in section or one place of the money so many times!  Is it too much to ask? 

 If you are looking for a quick fix, short cut to success,or a eureka comment you wont find it here. Just the trials and tribulations of the nearly man. Read on and enjoy the struggles .........

.........................now 94 posts and 8 thousand 125 hits later

What A YEAR.  I have had highs and lows and added copious memories to the bank.  I have gone from the lows of jacking it all in and selling my kit, to gagging so much for it I could almost taste it.  I suppose its in time honoured fashion its the end of year Oscars OR Blogscars award ceremony time..  But wait, I could only do that if I fished full time; so I suppose its top three or bottom three as the moment expects.

Lets start with the lows.  Genuine friendship is a hard thing to come by.  For me especially as I am a cynical miserable distrustful ba****d; who opens his gob and speaks before thinking on way to many occasions.  This trait has ended friendships way to soon. But I am delighted to say that this year I have made some great friends.

 I hoped my friend John Dewberry retiring from the Army would not mean an end to sharing an occasional cup of tea and catching up.  But I miss the weekly trips to his office and having a brew, and discussing all things match fishing. Fact is nothing stays the same.  So it was a low point for me when JD (Yoda) retired. He is busy with retirement and Browning Match group; inevitably those happy days are gone. Not in the top three though...............

So this is my top three lows.

1. The Loss of my brother.  Not literally, thank Christ; but the realization that never again will I share the joy of fishing with him and catching Roach on a river.  Illness comes to us all I know, but I hope I die fishing, trotting for Dace on the Avon.  Its cruel when illness takes away your hobby. Miss you bruv.

                                                    2. April / May Paranoia about points not being recorded properly, a run of bad results even at banker venues like Todber, cold and damp weather broken kit and the flyer (van) breaking down.  Led to me almost walking away.

3. Four in one here (couldn't split em) Drawing the bay at Ladies Bridge, and ruining a good swim by falling down the bank knocking all my kit in and ending up with 13 red signal crays.  The three canal matches were I drew the boats and my swim was destroyed by boating idiots. Precious Championship points down the swannee!

Top three blokes of the year.

1. The Pewsey boys, couldn't separate them. Not a bad bloke or twat amongst them.

2. Mark Blake.  Organiser of a great tournament, all round good bloke, honest, forthcoming and a great angler.

3. Dave Moody despite being 60 years young, still god with the rod.  What a Waggler angler. "Muddy".


Top three superstars now and for the future.

1. James Knight.  Watched him fish Dandys Ford.  One of the best I've seen, and I have watched Ivan Marks, Kevin Ashurst, Dave Harrel,Steve Gardner and Ian Heaps.  James is a natural talent that will pick up cash for a long time to come. Nice bloke to boot.

2. Ian Spanswick.  Pewsey Canal Angler. Purple patch run this year on the canal, so definitely angler  in the "now" category he is difficult to beat on the canal very consistent. Close run thing with long time stars Mike Marsden, Simon Burden, James Carty and Chris Rushton.

3. Daryl "the Dazzler" Mayers. Golden paw in the draw bag, can draw better than Picasso. Great commercial angler.

Top Three Kit Buys.

1. DIAWA Tourny Pro X Pole.  NUFF said.

2. Rigger Canal Platform.

3. Two Drennan waggler rods (Acolyte 14 foot and 2 piece 11 foot ultralight waggler same blank)

Top Three Venues

1.
Dandy's Ford.  Sherfield English.  Beautiful venue and facilities run buy a really nice couple.

2.  Horeshoe Lake Lechlade.  The home of the Carp Society, it is a gorgeous venue and I have to say it was a pleasure for Fisherman to receive conditions normally afforded to Golfers.  

3. Orchard Lake - New Forest.  A baggers delight.

Top Three Catches


1. Although I have won matches and sections this year.  This second place in section bag of nearly 6 lb of Roach at Sutton Benger for good team points. takes first place as I really worked hard to get the best out of the swim for the team.                                    

2. Five Carp for 66 lb + in the last hour of a Viaduct match.

3. Winning my section at Radcot in the Winter League on a tough day.

Top three Fish

1. Without Fail this1 lb + Rudd

2. On a day of dry nets its fish like these.......

3.This beautiful 12 lb 2oz Mirror Carp from the pipe swim on Pewsey Lake.

Top three lucky gits of the year

1.  Dave Docs Docherty landing a fish 5 seconds away from the 15 minutes after the whistle.  Beating me by a pound in the process.

2. Haines Angling just sneaking the Angling Times bait tech against Army team.
Weight
Pos
Sturminster
Pos
Haines Angling
Pos
Mike Poolman
20.12oz
3
40.08oz
1
23.12oz
2
Ivan Oakey
21.00
3
23.12oz
1
21.08oz
2
Dave Critcher
25.00
1
1 lb
2
14oz
3
Craig Micalef
22.14oz
2
10.03oz
3
26.12oz
1
Hayden Mayers
3.08oz
3
5 lb
2
13 lb
1
Daryl Mayers
35.06oz
1
13.04oz
2
11.06oz
3
Carl Amman
46 lb
1

1 lb Dave Burford  

3
19 lb
2
Dave Docherty
9 lb
3
43 lb Chris Perry
2
56 lb
1
Total Points
17
16
15

3. Tied here between Brian Shutler, Ian Spanswick and Daryl Mayers.  Draw bag genius, end pegs or fliers more times than anyone I know.

Top three Orgasmic moments

1. Pewsey winning the Wessex Winter league.

2. Seeing Martin Aris take a quid of Paul Giddings

3. Winning my personal contest with James Hillier Browning MG (in 90 degree heat) and contributing to the Army Team win over Andover.

Top Three Miscellaneous moments

1. Second in section beating both Dave Moody (Reids Tackle) and Mike Buzzer Bernstien (Challis Tackle), both in my section. When I was a guest of Reids Tackleat the Tackle Trade Open at Viaduct.

2.Picking up near £100.00 for coming second with my mate Steve Ware in the Eastleigh pairs comp.

3. Mark Blakes May 3 Day Tourny.


Best Three Breakfast venues / Breakfasts

1. Skevys Cafe Wincombe Industrial site , draw venue for Todber matches

2. Lakeside Cafe at Witherington Farm.  Late run from Rachael and Glen.

3. Dandys Ford only just pipped by Withy.

Best Three competitions of the year

1. Mark Blakes "alternative" May 3 Day event.  Intelligently Organised to have a good spread of cash and an all round good feeling event.


2. North Wessex Winter League.  Well done to Chris Rushton and all who had a hand in this.

3. Angling Times Bait Tech Club man comp.

Top discoveries of the Year

1. That I am not a crap angler I just suffer from "Carpus non Bitus"

2. Dino Floats. Big fan.

3. Top Anglers can be beaten!!!

So to the End and ...................................

Roll on next year and trying to improve, winning  more with Pewsey; and ensuring the promotion and survival of Club fishing. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog Gary, very funny which is what fishing all about. Tight lines and festive wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivan, thank you. Festive fun to you to. I hope 2014 brings you many a pick up and bulging nets.

    ReplyDelete