Sunday 8 December 2013

Pewsey - Lake Match another pound bites the dust

Not many weekends to go this year.  The wife sleepily asked me to stay in bed and not go fishing; and got the hump when I said no.  Even a cup of tea delivered to the bedroom didn't seem to melt the ice.  Still I suppose I would get the hump if I had been rejected by a sex god!!

Jumped into the flyer turned on the Tunes and it was Madness.   No not madness to go fishing; but Madness singing "My Girls mad at me", I hoped I could go "one step beyond" and win today.  As long as its not an "Embarrassment"

The weak December sunshine crept over the horizon to greet a motley crew of smokers coughs flu like chesty coughs and all the aches and pains and groans that come with a bunch of middle aged men. Spanners looked rough with flu, but as we has challenged each other by text to go a pound he had turned up.  Funny how the pound side bets mean more than winning, championship points or anything else.

The tap water clear pond was grumbled over as people looked forward to a day scratching.  I was first to arrive and found a beautiful Heron stood on Peg 1 with a tiny Roach across its beak.  Expectation can vary and I hoped the gloomy outlook would be overshadowed and actually we would all catch and enjoy the day.

I asked the Heron if I could have the Roach just in case; and if not, could he tell me what bait he used!  Instead the grey old fella took to the air and lumbered horizon-ward toward the morning sun.

Finally Jim had had his roll up and we started the 9 o'Clock draw.  Chris and Spanners drew End Pegs 5 and 15 respectively.  How do they do it. I had 9 for a change with Steve Hiscock to my left.

The Russian Trawler Brian Shutler was to my right, coming off the back of two pick ups in the last two matches.  Brian is a good angler and deserves what he gets.  Doesn't matter what peg you draw you still got to catch em, and he does.

 Ten o Clock saw me not ready. A hasty cast whilst plumbing my waggler had put it in a tree opposite, tackling up again put me behind.  So it was  minutes in before I was dropping the rig over my ground bait line.  I had baited three swims, ground bait and squat, hemp and choppy and bread line.

I had  fish in the net before Brian had his first but it was a better stamp.  Brian mentioned something about being battered on both sides as Simon on his right was putting bites together.
 Simon Burden concentrating hard.  The match progressed slowly and everyone tried to scratch out a fish here and fish there.  Brian has just landed (yes landed using his net!) a nice perch, and that means he has probably over taken me.  Head down I plough on trying waggler and pole, not wanting to to try the feeder.  Bread had not got any of the expected bites.  Frustratingly the leaves and twigs pester my swim; and a little raft of leaves keeps moving back and forth over baited area.

I keep at it and by the end I think I have maybe a  pound and quarter.  Brian looks confident for two pound, especially with the Perch. Rumour has it old "end peg" had made the most of the tiddlers with his whip no doubt.  Sounded as if he had me - dammit another pound bites the dust, I already owe Si Irwin a quid.

Lifted my net out to see what I had.  My heart wished for 2.5 lb but it was more like 1 lb .12 oz.

I bet Chris on the other end peg has a carp, and Simon is bound to be challenging.  Chris comes along and asks what I have .  I reply 5 oz. You always say that you lying b*****d.

The scores are totted up:

End Peg Spanners takes first place the section and the silvers pool .  The Russian Trawler "Shutler" did just pip me with that Perch for second place and his section.  Yours truly is 3rd for the second Sunday in a row.  So its another days free fishing and 7 section points toward the Championship attempt.

Fair play to Spanners 75 fish for 3 lb on a tough day.  So I give him the "bird" and his pound coin.

Top three Me, Spanners and the Russian Trawler.

See you next week at Pewsey Wharf for the next round of the Championship.











No comments:

Post a Comment