Saturday 21 December 2013

Christmas Match Reids Tackle - Witherington Farm.

You got to be careful when you write a blog.  That's one of the things I have noticed over the past year.  There is of course the editors prerogative, and of course, it is viewed from my view point.  Those that read this blog will know that no malice or disrespect is meant.

So to the match Withy was heaving with talent and many an ego was on the line today.  Banter was high, and although the Christmas Match is supposed to be fun, I sensed some of the egos had their game face on.  Still got a kiss from Christine Moody so my day couldn't get better it was down hill all the way now.

The weather was horrendous and even taking time over breakfast did not make the weather better.  We waited for as long as we could for the no shows and late comers but in the end the draw began.  The anglers below dived into the bucket

The Army lads Si, Danny and Neil must have been on duty and never showed.  Perhaps they were put of with the weather as bad as it was.  I bet a quid with Graham Houghton, and told James where his peg was, on Cottage Lake.  Tough draw he would unfortunately have the wind square in his face on peg 8 and with Mr Etheridge and Bri Shutler etc to contend with a hard lake.

The all in was shouted at 10.15 in and I barely heard it as it hammered down.  Although I had bagged up on Barnmoor on Thursday, it was an entirely different day today.  I was on 17 opposite my Thursday peg.  My last three matches on Barnmoor have been on 17.  I decided to take the same approach with 17 as I had on Thursday with Peg 2.  The slight difference was instead of throwing in the big balls of ground bait I cupped it in at 16 meters.

Ray started well on the point peg to my left with a 4 lb Carp first chuck to the island.  So pressure on straight away; but for a long time that was it.   Blakey was scratching well (peg 3 flier as normal) and the fish were regularly going into the net, and he had the edge on us.  Eventually I got a bite and a fish at 12.30.  If it was possible the day got worse and darker still.


"Why do we do it" said Ray next to me. "I know" says I, and I know its the shortest day but I didn't think it would get this dark so early.

My mate John (Yoda) Dewberry answered Rays question for us.  Opposite corner and side to the Lake on Peg 7, he had flung the waggler right to the Lake airator and was into a monster. After a while he coaxed it in. I couldn't see it the island was in the way, but Ray said "Game Over" that's massive.

Everything was absolutely soaked through.  Must recommend at this stage Gore Tex Diawa Tournament clothing.  I was being blasted by weather in all directions but it held up.  Even the my bait shelf has a built in rain cover nothing could stop the onslaught and gradually the pinkie , maggot bread punch and ground bait was saturated.  Ray had just had a dog Roach and I was catching on the waggler but not enough to make a difference.

The all out was called and to be honest we had all had enough and wanted to get in for Tea and Christine Moody's Cake.

They weigh occurred in atrocious conditions, thought Mark Blake had our lake he had scratched a lovely weight despite the conditions.  Sure enough 16 lb + of small roach and hybrids.  Little did I know that Yoda had two lumps in his net whilst I had done my mentor on silvers; two Carp for 30 lb 2 oz was enough to take our lake.


 Pleased with my 5 lb and not last.



With 2 hours to go I thought last was certainty.  Ray weighed in the Carp and his bits the Roach was an absolute beaut.  Shame he didn't weigh it in separately it must have been close to the magic 2 lb mark. See below.
So back for Tea and Cake and get out of the weather.  Reids tackle had really pushed the boat out with the Prizes and everybody was due to get something even if they didn't weigh in.  A really nice thank you from Reids tackle to its customers.
Took a quid from Graham who didn't weigh in, and was genuinely surprised to have pipped James C and Brian S and to have  beaten some very good anglers on the day (even Gary Etheridge didn't weigh in!).  A real boost to my moral, ending the year in better shape than I started for sure.

James and Mark discuss were it all went so RIGHT!

And after much deliberation, Mayo finally announced the winners or at least the top Three.  Now I have to own up here. To be honest I was elsewhere when the top three were announced, So I may have it wrong.  Knighter was first I know that, then it was Mark Cannings I think? and my mate JD was third with his monster Carp on the waggler.

With only one match to go this Year, that being James Carty's two day' er on the Canal 28/29 Dec, I think I will take the kit home and spend some days drying it out and cleaning it up in readiness.

Merry Christmas to all.  Don't think I have met one horrible bloke, OR a bad angler all year.  Going to have to go some, practice even harder and keep trying, but I will have my day in the sun.

Finally look out for the next blog, a traditional look back and award ceremony type thing.  Who was the best?  Don't forget its my opinion and there is no intention to "dis" anybody using a younger generations vernacular.







No comments:

Post a Comment