Sunday 15 December 2013

Pewsey Boat Paranoia

After a wild night of passionate sex, thought I would go home and see the wife and pick up my fishing tackle!

Just kidding wild sex to me is socks on, lights off.

In fact it was a wild night, at least weather wise.  So it was floods and blocked drains again as went North to see my mates at Pewsey club.  Leaving the garage in Tidworth after fuel and a Yorkie, I suddenly realised I didn't have my gore-tex jacket and it was gonna piss down today. Better turn around.  Trouble was because I was looking over my shoulder (back into the van) in the vain hope I had left the jacket in the van; I drifted onto the wrong side of the road.


 My reward was a beautiful light display.  Well one light really a blue flashing one.  Allo Allo Allo what have we here. Morning Officer can I help.  Yes you seem to be unsure of which side of the road to drive on, please blow into this.  Of course I was clear.

All was well and now it was too late to go back home, so onward to the draw.

Hoping for a decent draw.  Those that follow the blog will be aware of the disastrous matches I have had on the boats, with boats moving and swims ruined.  Cant draw higher than peg 5.  In fact had peg four twice in a row.

So I left it till there was only one peg in the hat.  And drew out you've guessed it Peg 4!!!!!! Give me strength.

It was the only peg on the entire stretch, that actually had two boats lashed to each other.
There was room between the boats to get a rig across, and it was a massive 12 inches deep.  Inside line of bread.  A ground bait line off the red and white band of "sunrise" to the right.

 The section I was in was a section of death.  To my left Kevin Chubb, Paul Giddings, Spanners (for once not on a end peg), Carl and James "Legend" Carty.
To mt right I had Alan, Brian Shutler, and Chris Rushton two weeks in a row he had drawn the end peg.  I would be lucky to get a fish let alone a point for my championship total.  If you recognize the names its because they feature as top three week in and week out.

 The match started and it was one a chuck for me and I quickly built up nearly a pound. Amazingly Alan to my right wasn't catching and that great canal angler wasn't catching either.  In fact I had six fish in the net before Kev had his first bite.  Now I am susceptible to a little bit of Paranoia, but I reckon I have wronged someone in a previous life.  Just as I was flying you've guessed it

"Morning!  says the boat owner as he starts his engine.  I say starts. It struggled to spark so he added a little diesel to the primer and the canal.  So I had a lovely slick across the canal coupled with the lovely smell of diesel!  Then for good measure he started up churned the swim for a while before chugging off toward Marlborough.
I know you think I make this up, that nobody can be that unlucky to draw the same area three times and get a boat destroy the swim 3 times but its true.  Just ask the anglers around me, they probably stopped pissing themselves laughing by now.

So that was it for the rest of the match the fish moved right to Alan, and left to Kevin.  I had one more fish.

The day grew dark I got soaked through (without my coat) and the midwinter light levels made it difficult to see in the last  minutes.  We all packed away and headed back to the car park. Best I could hope for was to be near the mystery weight and win the bottle of Port.

Difficult to see due to the dark and wet paper.

 End Peg Rushton has 1 lb 5.5oz
Brian Shutler 1 lb 2 oz
Alan 2 lb
Me 1 lb 2.5oz 
Kev 1 lb 7 oz
PG 2 lb 6 oz
Carl Amman 13 oz
Spanners 2lb 6 oz
James Carty 3 lb 2 oz

 The top numbers on up to Bristows bridge.  Apparently very nice up that way.  Wouldn't know cant draw that high.


Sorry I get some of these wrong it is from memory on a very wet and dark day.

Steve Hiscock 8 oz
Mick Moorhouse 1 lb 15 oz
Steve Dean 2 lb 7 oz
Mike Marsden 2 lb 12.5 oz ( pound coin from Chris Rushton)
Dave Johnson 1 lb 11.5 oz
Danny Jones 1 lb 13 oz
Simon Burden 2 lb 13 oz
Martin Aris 14 oz
Derek Hillier 1 lb 15.5 oz

So a poor 4 points for me.  Me thinks I deserve a little luck.  Thank Christ the two day comp at the end of the month is not on the boats.

Well done to Steve Hiscock for the mystery weight (6oz) he was closet with 8 oz.

Steve Dean picks up a brown packet for section by default.

Probably the most important tussle of the day and Chris is reluctant in handing over the quid in his personal battle with Mike Marsden.

Trust me that hurt.

So Top three

James Carty 3 lb 2 oz
Simon Burden 2 lb 13 oz
Mike Marsden 2 lb 12.5 oz

A tight old day.  If only's don't come into it, I know, but after pound in the first hour i could have challenged if not for moving boats.  Still we could all say that.

Withy for the Reids Christmas open on Saturday.  Fancy a waggler on Barnmoor see you there.

2 comments: