Sunday 29 December 2013

Pewsey end of year bash (Part 2) Careful what you wish for....

It was with joy that I overslept and was faced by a number of obstacles intent on stopping my day. A minus 3 temp meant the Flyer had ice inside and out as I had left my wet kit in overnight and the condensation had frozen.

The Garage door lock had also frozen, oh why didn't I do my bait for today last night?  The bait fridge had gone into overload , so I took a block of iced squat, and pinkie + a solid lump of caster and tin of hemp.

Broke the zip on me Jeans, snapped a shoelace, and spilt hot tea in my crutch.  Finally one of my dogs vomited in the kitchen and the wife demanded I clear it up before I leave.

Then we (me and the flyer) faced the roads together; dead dodgy they were black ice and even a light dusting of snow across the ridge from Everleigh and down Pewsey vale White Horse hill.

The draw started as I finished my booked breakfast, so it was with indigestion and some trepidation that I dipped my hand in the bucket and prayed I didn't get the boats.

Yippee, Wilcott straight. W6, drawn I tried to find a Mr Andrews (Melksham Angling) who had caught nearly 2 lb of it yesterday.

He was unavailable , but I was told that he had used loads of ground bait, as had Kev Rowles on the peg to his right Kev had  had a 2 lb Bream and a load of smaller fish for 4 lb +.

Today I had Pete Passmore to my right on Kev Rowles winning peg, good angler by all accounts and he had won his Crab Apple section yesterday with 5+.

On my left right next to an inside moored boat was Pewsey's own Paul Giddings.
I made that fateful error today of not fishing my own match.  After positioning all my bait at an angle that the weak winter sun could hit it, I hoped it would defrost it enough to make it move!!

This forced my hand a little bit, the hemp was solid in the tin and this left worm or bread.

I fancied bread on the inside so placed a small nuggett at the drop off of the inside shelf then instead of starting there like I normally do.  I went across as Mr Passmore on my right had already had two fish across.

His swim and Alans to his right was in the shade of the trees and houses that cover that bit by the bridge, and its clear the fish like the cover there.  So I wasted nearly 20 minutes tryying to catch across.  Holding my hand up to stop the sun which was low and perfectly in my eye line.  The bristle on the float was difficult to see against the tree shadows and sun but I percievered. No luck though , so must get back to my plan and fish bread.  The bites were barely detectable just a dimple.  The fish must have just been sitting there bait in their mouths not really wanting it.

However three fish in ten minutes and then nothing.  Lots of leaves and twigs so I came of the bottom slightly but no joy.  Losing my battle of nerves with Mr Passmore I tried to emulate his tactics and basically blew it.  Should have stuck with my own game plan. (JD on my shoulder, looking stern saying, blinkers on Gary fish your own match).

Two hours in and nothing but twigs and leaves since my fish.  Passmore now had around 25 fish for a pound and Alan Brown to his right had just had a dog 8 oz Perch twitching a worm.  Paul Giddings had also had two net-able Perch and 1 Roach against the Boat next to him.  Leo came along for a chat and it appeared it was tough all along except fro Pete Passmore.

The squat was dead and the pinkie not much better.  It would hardly kill it to pile in the bait as both the bait and the swim was dead anyway. Pete appeared to be baiting with plenty and it was working for him. So I picked out a few live hook baits and dumped the rest in. Went over the bait and within seconds I had a glorious sail away bite, I gingerly kept the tip of the pole in the water and pulled slowly against the weirdest kiting sort of fish as I have ever played.  Not fighting but just side to side.  I was just debating weather to net or swing in when it surfaced.  It was a bloody Brussell sprout!!!!  Obviously some boaters veg peelings flung over the side.  PG shouted down, very festive but you cant weigh it in!

So I ended the misery and shouted the all out.  Last in my section.  Not disappointed only slight bonus fish had done it for everyone else.  Even Spanners had struggled with 13 fish for 9 oz.  Brian had a few more for  13 oz and lost a Pike.  Must do some spinning for Pike along this stretch. Dave Johnson had 5 for 6oz. PG's bonus fish had pushed him to nearly a pound; and Alan's dog Perch was the only difference between me and him.  So it was a deserved win for Pete and Maximum points over the two days.

The Boats had not bettered yesterday. Steve Dean drew exactly the same peg and DNW. Si Burden doubled my 8 oz from B2; but it was the same flying pegs between Cables and bay that did it again.  Mr Rich Whitmarsh taking it by half an ounce.
Finally the Crab Apple section produced the better weights again, but down on yesterday. 
Kev Chubb takes it with Gary Etheridge second. Close between James Carty and Mike Bernstein only half an ounce in it.

Careful what you wish for. Two really hard frosts on the nights preceding the matches had not helped, even a little cat ice in the edge. No boats sure, but no extra fish either.

Mixed emotions for me.  Annoyed I didn't fish my own match, pleased that despite the score sheet there was little difference between me and all but Pete in my section.  Clearly every fish counts, you cant afford to swing em in during the winter (note Ian!). So 4 bites 3 Roach and a brussel Sprout! That would be a BBQ and salad to some!

A huge thank you to JC for organizing, and generating ten new members for the club. Additional thanks to the Golden Swan a lovely draw venue I would recommend it.

A big well done to the top Three

1. Pete Passmore two section wins (18 points) and a total weight of 7 lb 12 and half ounces
2. Kev Chubb 1st and second in section (17 points) with a total weight of 6 lb 10 oz
3. Richie Whitmarsh 1st and 3rd in section (16 points) with a total weight of 7 lb 3 oz


No comments:

Post a Comment