Wednesday 21 August 2013

Tie those rigs boy.........the weekend approaches

It was with some alarm I noted at the last match how depleted my rig tray had become in my canal box.  Not only that with a North Wessex summer league match on Sunday coming the river rig box was low as well.
Happy in my den tying rigs listening to the vibes

The river rig shortage was concerning.  I had tried to establish what the Bristol Avon at Sutton Benchey, was like.  The answers were as varied as they were confusing........"it depends" came the response.  Some places below the weir are fast and shallow, and you can reach the other side with top four , rod tip.  Other places above the weir are wide, static, and deeper instead of 3 foot deep more like 6 to 7 foot.

What about the fish, what is the target species. Well again, varied from Chubb to dace , to Roach, gudgeon and Bleak.  Bait well I think I will take it all because the multitude answers. Maggot, hemp , Tare, Caster, pinkie and Bread.  Maybe the result from the lads practise session on Friday will narrow it down.  I was gutted not to be going with them, but work wont allow time off.

So to the tools of the job in hand first the tool bucket, hook tyer, scissors, Sally Hansen hard as nails - nail varnish and the essential Ipod for accompanying vibes.  Cant beat relaxing and singing along with Stevie Nicks or head banging to a bit of Zep.













 Then of course there are the varnished floats drying ahead of the tying or storing in the float rack











Don't forget the mini lathe, carbon stems and balsa wood , eyelets and paint for making home made floats and the pole winders
Then finally the main items, two types of line. Power line or Maver Genesis.  Two main types of hooks, Kamasan and Tubertini in addition to my favourite size 24 Sensas for the canal. .  Mostly Garbolino floats, my preferred pattern. Dino floats becoming a firm favourite especially for commercial Bream and silver fishing.  Then there are the river floats by Drake and Dave Harrell.  Finally the Munter floats on commercials mostly from M.A.P.

Rigs tied its off to the garage to prepare a waggler rod, feeder rod, bomb rod and stick float rod.  Wont fix them up now, whats the point...................I,ll take it all.  When I draw and get to my peg the river craft will kick in and I will pick float and set up for what I have drawn in front of me.

Cant wait I love the river. There is a steely determination to remind Swindon ISIS their not as good as they think they are. They have been so lucky with draws and bonus fish.  One of their guys went from a few ounces with minutes to go on the canal match to a chunky Tench and winning!  Next match on the river the same guy, was catching nothing special placed his top two on the floor, dangling his rig off his toes, whilst he did some bank side admin, and his float slid away resulting in a 6 lb+Bream! and second in the match.

So with ISIS in first place 10 points ahead of Pewsey Red, who are 1 point ahead of my Team Pewsey Blue -  we Blues are raring to go. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment