Sunday 4 August 2013

The Penny drops at Stonehams

The Penny dropped today I just accepted once and for all, Stonehams' and I don't get on.  Its a beautiful place, particular the bottom lake.  The bottom lake it seems is not a place I can draw.  Not once this season have I managed to draw it.  I have to accept the style required to win here is not for me.  I cannot just chuck it out and hope to hook a big Carp.



Once again 4 in a row now , I drew the Dam wall section. Fishing top two and two, I had 10 and half feet. Put in two big balls(50 / 50) of sensas roach and sonubaits f1 sweet ground bait.  Quarter kilo of chopped worm and half a pint of caster.  Left well alone and went on the splodger for half an hour.  Clive Edgerton on my right was going for it as well.  Peg 50 on the dam wall always wins this section in summer.  Shallower by 5 feet and much narrower the carp pile in there.

Clive borrowed a few maggots and suggested that my caster worm approach would not be good enough in summertime. Thing is I continue to pole fish it like that in the vain hope that it will come good one day.  More fool is me, I should just take a feeder rod , sling out the method and sit and hope.  Trouble is unless the tip is going around regularly, I get bored.  I want to chop and change and get regular bites.

Good turn out for today's match.  Its the over fifties cup as well as the pairs and a championship match.

I have drawn Pat in the pairs.  He has drawn a peg opposite me on Trojans bank.

The match gets under way and edgy, gets two skimmers straight off on the method. Me nothing on the tip so drop in on the baited area, which by the way is bubbling like a Jacuzzi. Float settled and slid away and the elastic stripped out; lovely eel.  Approximately 5 lb in weight it was followed by two more around two pounds a piece.  So one hour in it was Eels 3 Gary nil.  Three trashed rigs and nothing in the net. Eels don't count in Eastleigh matches, funny anomaly that.

Two little Perch followed then nothing for two and half hours. Then a roach.  Nothing more for me , Edgy has had a few more flying skimmers on the method so as the bloke to his right. Me I got out the whip as a final resort chucked in some cloudy ground bait, to cause a big cloud.and loose fed some more caster at 3 feet deep in 10 feet of water. Fed a limping coot next to me some more caster.  After all I wasn't catching.
 A small swirl in front announced the fish were finally up in the water.  The roach came quickly but it was fun fishing only.  The match was out of site.There was a couple of blanks to my left, a pound weight and a 14 oz. The end peg 50 had again took the section with 50 lb + of Carp.  Edgy had skimmers for 22 lb 9 oz and the guy to his right skimmers for 22 lb 10 oz!

My partner on the day(Pat) had two skimmers for 3 and half pound, me several roach for 3 and half pound so no joy there.  Further on round up towards the muddy bank, Carp were the order of the day.  DM had 16lb bits mostly in the last 45 minutes and Dave Self a notable 33lb of Roach on two plus two.

Pewsey Lake next week, need a bit of luck.  Can't win em all.  Another Nail in the Stoneham coffin.  Is it worth the drive (its a long way), the diesel, the bait etc to fish for fish that have become obsessed with the "method" milk chocolate semi buoyant pellets or other fancy boilies etc?

Its not my sort of fishing. I'll give the lake a few chances more before I give up on it me thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment