Monday 19 August 2013

One Year old and going strong............Pewsey Vs Calne


This weekend saw two Birthdays for me, my own on Friday and it was year ago I joined Pewsey and District AA.  The cloudy Wiltshire sky accompanied me as I set out early.  My cousin Barbara was over over from New Zealand, and I figured if I could get a spot in the parking area where I wasn't blocked in, I could get away quickly to a family BBQ later.

It didn't pan out that way, the match started later than normal, I drew the scales, and got blocked in, in the car park.  That aside the drizzle gave way to warm sunshine and the Pewsey Vs Calne match draw got under way.


Pewsey V Calne
The draw begins and I draw peg 12 past the bay on the narrows.  In addition to the P vs C match, PDAA Championship points are up for Grabs.  The match aside, gaining on Spanners, Leo, Simon, Chris, Kev Chubb etc is going to be difficult they are great Canal anglers.

So I decide just to do my best and enjoy the day.  First drop in sees me hook a Carp,  YES A CARP.  Only about a pound and half, but on 3 elastic, size 22 and a pinkie it led me a dance, and eventually I got it to the net, where it was clear that it was hooked in the barbel outside the mouth.  So it was no surprise on seeing my ugly mug looming on the bank it turned and bolted and my 10 oz hook length snapped.  Set up a new rig and go again without complaint or even a swear word.  I really was enjoying the day.

Even seeing Chris and Mike to my right starting to bag the skimmers, and stories of Bream and Tench from pegs 1  through to 11, didn't phase me.  No worries thought I, as I plodded away at the little snotties.  Yet another Pike to keep up my record of a pike in the last 3 canal matches - this one around 6 lb.

The birds are singing, kingfishers flash by, the bees buzz around the Flag Iris, and smell of wild garlic and water mint fills the air.  What a lovely day.  Even a visit from a grass snake which slides down the bank next to me across my platform and foot and swims across the canal.

The boats keep ploughing through and in between I slowly rebuild my swim back to feeding fish again.  All out and weigh in time
Kevin and I set off up the bank to weigh in.  I have 73 fish but they are all small.  So it is with some envy when we start weighing in some quality 6 oz to a pound fish, but not much in the way of qty.  Ian has his normal hundred plus fish, and a Calne lad (Simon Thom) has four pound 2 oz 

The bay has clearly won it so we all trudge back to the car park for the results.

The scores on the doors are totted up.  Sections below.
The Pewsey lads in the bay have made the most of the Bream.  Martin Doleman (Calne ) wins by a pound from Pete White - Pewsey, with Paul Giddings third for Pewsey. Sections are 1-7 , 8-14 and 15-21

So no chance for me being in with guys pegged in the bay.  Never mind.  Bonus delight at taking the scalp of Kev Chubb, Si Burden, and Leo; and If I have it right; I was the 6th placed Pewsey guy on the day which gives me 10 Championship points.


Pewsey wins the match by 67 lb + to Calnes 49 lb +.  Well done lads and lasses.  Individually, Calnes Martin Doleman wins it with Pewsey Pete White second and Pewsey Paul Giddings third.

Martin in the middle with Pete(go Army) to the right and Paul left.  Well done lads.  Next week last of the summer league matches at Sutton Benger on the Bristol Avon.

No comments:

Post a Comment