Sunday 26 February 2017

Back in the Bad Lands

Different sort of outing today, went along to Calne and Black lands lake.  A silvers only match arranged by Bryan Jackson.  Just the 12 of us the lake wouldn't hold more.

A lovely deep pond with other facilities, caravaning and camping and a Health club.  On a nice day it would be good , but today the wind is really strong and the trees are moving considerably.  Cold too not the hoped for mild spring day.  Nevertheless a completely new venue for me; and with ground bait banned it would take some working out.

In addition not knowing anything about the water it was going to be suck it and see . So enough of the views lets get on with the draw.

I drew the bench swim peg 2. So short walk and a quick set up found me having a uniform 7 feet at 6 meters and a bush to my left.

Clearly I had underestimated the "silvers" as almost immediately I had trashed 2 rigs and 2 whips.  From unwanted carp.  Unwanted Carp never thought I would say that!!  A quick change to the heavier elastic , I was beginning to regret not having more robust mainline and hook lengths.  I was also regretting having no worm as Bryan Jackson had just landed a a near 3 lb Perch.  Mssrs Shutler and Kay were going great guns , one a chuck.  Also using worm and caster I believe.

The fish were steady but prone to 30 minute spells with no bite.  If I fished the same again I would have more micro pellet (allowed) and definitely more caster and worm.  As it was I would plough on with maggot and expanders.  the fella to my left is whacking 1.5 lb Roach on the whip and I cannot get fish bigger than 4 oz skimmers.

A spell of 4 Crucians got the heart beating before I lost another 6 lb mirror.  Shame Crucians didn't count.  The match slipped away from me, the wind and presentation impossible .  My little Pony Chris Rushton had foul hooked a slab and was trashing rigs on debris.

Nigel Russel was helping out by hooking the same snags as Chris and pulling in Chris snag (with attached Tench)
Now thats a Snag!!

Note Ponys float still attached top center. The match came to an end at the appropriate time as I was getting bored of watching the Russian Trawler (Shutler) and Marquee (Marc Kay) hauling em in.

It was good to catch a few and I would have loved to have caught more.  The Carp were nice but didn't count and did mess up the swim a bit. But nevertheless a nice day watching the float dip.


A stack of lightweight thin skimmers that bodes well for the future of the pond.  Mr Rushton did well you can't deny. Still an end and corner peg you would have expected it.

No bonus slabs for me, I did manage to beat the fellas either side of me but all in all a learning experience.  Well done to Brian Shutler on the win, Bryan Jackson on the Organisation , Marc Kay for 2nd and Pony for third.

Sorry to Bryan his Perch pic didnt come out, but here are the scores.

See you next time




No comments:

Post a Comment