Sunday 19 February 2017

Lovely Two and half hours

 Just a quick note as the session wasn't very long but it was productive.

Today was technically a spare day.  I was gonna fish the teas of 4 for Leo, but he had a change of heart and fished so a quick walk along the bank and watching the float dip here and there made me want a bit of that.

As I had the kit in the van in case I parked up at Bristows and went the opposite way to the TO4 match and around to the wides and toward Wilcot road.

The session started well with me slipping on a muddy path and twisting my back, but never mind I was soon fishing.  The first 15 minutes was slow with me getting indications but no bite.  A slow pull under and wham , oh no its a twig.  In fact the canal was a horrible brown colour and full of detritus as boats and canoes passed up and down.

After snapping the hook trying to get it out of the twig I tackled up again with a new rig.  The rig settled nicely over one of my baited areas.  It was soon clear that pinkie over licky bread was going to produce.  So I slid in the Dino 0.3 Bream float on the top kit + 2 line and the bites were one a chuck.  Only the boats disturbed the flow of bites.

It was great to see after last week, and the bite less hours, that the mild weather had perked up the fish a bit.  I wonder how the TO4 round the corner were getting on .  The pinkie/bread line died a bit so it was over with the red squat and a nice little skimmer pulled the float confidently under. The elastic stretched pleasingly and fought nicely before the landing net slipped under and bulged like my waistline.

Shame I wasn't fishing in the match I was amassing a few fish here certainly good enough for section points.  My phone bleeped and it was the wife. The screen message was clear, where are you.

I had said I wouldn't be long just a few hours, but who leaves feeding fish?

I decided to play dumb and blame the poor phone signal in Pewsey.  The bites though were slowing down from 2 fish a minute to one fish every couple of minutes.  I was surprised when I looked at the time, I had been fishing for two hours, my how time flies when your catching.

A dog walker letting their dog swim in the canal finished the session abruptly.  Choice words were exchanged with the owner, who played dumb, their dog had never done that before they were really shocked etc etc.

So a hasty pack away two and half hours including a nice stripey.  Home to the wife a 25 minute journey to think up a creditable excuse.

Great day most caught on the 2+2 line.  The digital scales in my bag read 4 lb 2 oz, I imagine good enough for section points and after only 2.5 hours.  Wonder if the swim would have recovered after lassie had swum through?

Sorry its a short blog its hard to type when your wife has slammed your fingers in the door frame!!

See you next week if I am still able to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment