Sunday 5 February 2017

Teams of 4 stroll

I am currently taking a deliberate break from fishing.  A blogger friend of mine Ivan Currie recently wrote "Note to Self, don't fish January 2018".  Well remembering how I felt last year after a mediocre Teams of 4 at both Pewsey and Basingstoke, I am a year ahead of you Ivan.

It was that and poor year in fishing that meant me thinking about giving it up altogether.  I've crawled to what looks like 3rd in the Championship, we have won the Wx Winter and and come second in the Wx Summer but all in all fishing had lost its spark.


Most of the fellas are good eggs, there are a few that are smoother than a bucket of phlegm, and some that you hope their next shit is a hedgehog.  But its not just the people the thought of smashing ice to catch an ounce; or looking like an extra from riverdance as you make your way along towpaths that are slippy and muddy.  It must be funny to watch someone like me waist up rigid as hell trying to keep the trolley on the tow path and waist down out doing Michael Flatley in an effort to stay out of the water.

So I have taken a much needed break.  Got stuff done at home built up a mass of brownie points and enjoyed my time by the fire with book and glass of port or cider.  There have been flashes when you think I wish I had gone today , but they have been very very few.  Indeed the thoughts of packing in and just racing and showing my dogs does seem appealing.

But how can you give up a hobby of a lifetime.  So as the glimmers of wanting to be waterside, stirred my juices I took to the towpath with my camera.  As it happens if I had had my phone on or my missus had passed a message that Leo had called I could have fished today.

Turns out Leo had rung late last night as he couldn't fish today, but as I was spark out I didn't get the message till 10 am as I was passed a cup of tea.  When Wendy said , Oh by the way Leo rang last night.  What did he want ? Don't know he didn't say, and you were asleep.

So it was some annoyance that I found Pewsey team of 4 fishing with 3.  Nobody's fault I suppose just circumstance.  Still back to the canal. In a way I was sort of glad, it was bloody cold and people were scraping amoebas, tiny fish four to a pound.  Only Gerry Blunt of Browning Andover had anything decent it seemed he had an 8 ounce Perch and a four ounce Roach.

Couldn't tell you the result but it seemed to me on questioning most Anglers, I calculated Thatchers were leading the way with Garbolino BV and Pewsey (one man down) pushing for second.

The rest of the blog is a selection of Pics from today that hopefully show the tough conditions , sorry if I missed you out.

Starting with the individual leader in the competition John Dewberry, and ending in a personal photo favourite.














No comments:

Post a Comment