Sunday 13 April 2014

Pewsey Lake Championship round 1 Marathon Day

As I sit to type this I reflect on a Marathon day in more ways than one.  Just like the London Marathon, we had a variety of talent on show and just like the London race all ages. Not going to say who was our oldest runner but it was a tightly fought contest between, Jimmy, Roly and a couple of others.  Our youngest newest member on the match scene is none other than 10 year old Sophie Spanswick daughter of last years Club Champion Ian.

As I said long day up at four to nurse one of my dogs who is poorly. So by the time I got on the road the sun was already climbing into a bright blue sky; also in that sky was a wondrous aerial display from a Red Kite which in between its graceful swoops, was being mobbed by crows and ravens. Equally wondrous was the volume and variety of ground-based wildlife.  Roe deer, Muntjac, Pheasant Partridge , Hare, and Rabbit.  Fisherman are lucky to witness this dawn display.

As I am running this years Lake series a few rule changes on timings etc meant an earlier draw and a variety of prizes including a Golden peg prize.  Almost all seemed pleased with the new set up although there was a few gripes about the earlier start. We had a full house and in fact had to turn a few late bookers away. Shame but thats it.

Young Sophie drew the Golden Peg which was one of the fliers - 15. She's obviously got her old mans skill of drawing of pat already.  Once back in the bag I asked her to draw her peg for the day.  She looked at her dad and he said draw peg 12.  So she did!! Definitely a Daddies girl. Everyone then got stuck into the draw bag and there were various moans and sharp intakes of breath at what was drawn whilst I filled out the board. Last but one to draw I picked out the golden peg 15. See Above Pic.

On the peg next to me was the mighty Gary Perryman. Who ten minutes in had landed his bunch of worms on the nose of a 11 pound Carp. I knew it was big but Gary's huge hands made it look small. He then sat set out his stall for a net full of Carp. Below





Being on the end and at the windward end of the Lake I was in a dilemma. I had not expected to draw well and my plan I had in my head was now blown.

I really should go for the Carp I was already at least double figures behind and only ten minutes had passed.  The reeds across the lake were full of Carp crashing around and generally having a ball.

Initial attempts to get close with the Pellet waggler were unsuccessful as I was constantly being pulled away by a strong north easterly crosswind. So I quick change to the method and meat on the hook produced a couple of liners, but nothing concrete.  Gary and Jim continued to lob there huge ground bait feeders with worm on the hook.  Gary has just had another, he was only reeling in and he didn't even know he had it on. Typical.  To follow that JB has just had a decent lump too.

Sophie was going well with her dad sat behind her.  She didn't need his coaching tips she was bagging the small stuff and going great guns.  Brian Shutler was starting to walk the bank.  He had hooked a common Carp around 6 lb before the match had even started, and was now being teased that he should go back to using a bare hook and plumbing up he might catch another.

Me, well every bit of surface detritus on the lake was gathering in front of me and I was getting scummed out barely able to present a bait.
It was impossible trying to catch silvers , and I needed weight.  So I stuck at the Carp.  The method wasn't working, so I switched to copy Gary and Jim, by using a groundbait feeder.  I had no worms with me (school boy error) so a big bunch of maggots was the bait of choice.  It did result in two carp about a pound and 3 quarters each maybe two pound.  But whilst the bulrushes shook and the Carp crashed on the surface all around, I have a feeling their minds were on spawning not feeding.

The six hours were soon up. I was sad to here Kirsty had gone home early with stomach pains, even more concerned to hear on getting home she had collapsed and been taken to hospital! Get well soon Kirsty.

Various stories of woe were already been aired, the normal the ones that got away to the didn't get a bite all day mate. But in short the Marathon Day was drawing to a close.  The scores were totted up and the Prizes given.  A special well done to Sophie.  Chris Rushton had gone a quid with her in the absence of her dad.  He will do anything to get a pound.  Shame on him lol. Shes a 10 year old girl, but when you look at the sheet you will see she ran him close. In fact she did him on Silvers and it was only a Carp that gave him two ounces more  - so close unlucky Sophie.

Sophie takes her prize(From Vice Chair Jim Broomham) for best Junior on the day whilst her dad looks on proudly.

Neil Pegrum had taken the other section with a nice bag of silvers including a daddy Chubb, plus two Carp including a lovely mahogany common.

Simon Burden was second in this section with a Carp and and good bag of silvers on peg 1.

So Neil (left) wins, Gary(at the back) second, Jim third and Brian Shutler takes the silvers pool, matching my 6 lb 13 oz.

Scores on the doors.






No comments:

Post a Comment