Sunday 13 October 2013

Pewsey Lake - New Fish, New members and New records.

Forgot my my camera today so sorry about the quality of the Camera photos.  For those of you that read a couple of weeks ago "Pewsey Pipe Dream" will know I fancied pipe swim 12 today.  Not to be though as I drew peg 7, another peg I have not fished before.  The club had completed the first stage of the stocking program mid week, so it was with great expectation that we drew hoping to catch some of the new fish.  All the fish had gone in at peg three, and the feeling was they wouldn't have traveled far.



My constant pushing of Pewsey club to my friends has resulted in Carl and Brian buying tickets to join.  Brian just but a canal ticket but has decided to upgrade to include the lake.  Carl on the other hand went for the full ticket and turned up today for his first Lake match.  Not that Carl needs telling how to fish, we took a walk down the lake and I pointed out a few facts , depth type of bait hook and line as well as elastic size etc.

Come and join Pewsey at http://www.pewseyfishingclub.co.uk/

The match today was nothing special, from the moment Jim called the all in, it started to rain and the cold rain kept coming all day.  Carl had drawn peg 10, Ian 12 Chris 9 and Paul Giddings 15 the flyer.  Will T was going to do his normal meat attack on 13.  Either side of me I had Simon left and Jim right.

I wasn't ready at the off, trying my new tackle box I had prepared badly and nothing was where it should be.  On the plus side the tackle box (Matrix Super box) was very solid and very comfortable.  Went to swing in my first rig, and hooked the top of the keep net.  Trying to get the hook out, I snapped it at the shank.  So tackle up again plump up again and I am already behind.  Never mind. Just enjoy.

The match is slow, there is the normal small 5 gram fish, but it is a grind.  Plugged away, with no real reward, but Simon and Jim are doing no better.  Simon seems to be changing tactics and going long to an over hanging bush (about the full 16 meters.), this results straight away in bites including a near double figure Carp.  This prompts me to try the waggler across, to long for the pole in my swim.  Nothing for 2 hours then the float dips and for a minute or two I try and pull a 3 lb Chubb into the landing net backwards. Its hooked lightly in the flank near the tail.

Each lunge away from the net sees the hook slide closer and closer to the tail until it comes off; and that sinking feeling you get when you feel it slipping away takes a grip.  I decide to give up on fishing for big stuff and just get as many silvers as I can.  Be confident there is still an hour to go and there is still 5 points on offer for second in the section after all.  The match draws to a close word is my mate Carl has done well on his debut at the lake. Jim has a had a nice Perch,and so have I. Simon has won our section with a 9 lb 4 oz Carp plus silvers

The boys walk by on their way to peg 2 to start weighing in.  Carl weighs in and sure enough hes got it. Good on him.



Paul on the flyer has second with some Carp and a 1 lb of Silvers.  Special mention for Will T.  Will fishes for Carp and nothing else so fair play to him he had two today and to top a Lake record Bream (2.5 lbs).  He was not quite sure how the Bream got the huge lump of meat in its mouth but it did.

Other notable mentions, Martin Aris , no longer "Mr 3 oz", keep improving mate your getting better , another day closer to the brown envelope.  It goes without saying that Ian bagged his normal 140+ tiddlers (5 lb 12.5 oz) for his weight as he marches relentlessly toward the Championship title.


Personally, I am delighted Carl won, as I had paid his super pools, on condition we split it if either of us won, so a days fishing for effectively a fiver and five points for second in section.  Happy result after all.

Left to right 1,2 and 3 Carl Paul and Will T. Money makes it easier to smile on a miserable day.


Next week.  Wednesday Army 1st match of 2013/14 Season on the Canal, Spanners joining me as a guest angler.  Then on to Sunday and back to Lechlade - Thames - Winter League.

Tight lines and full nets to you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment