Sunday 14 July 2013

Pewsey - Lack luster Lethargic Lake

The day dawned with the oppressive heat we have had for a week now.  Arrived early at the lake didn't want to rush and get all sweaty.  Only 12 turned out for the day, hardly surprising.  Nice day but too hot to move.  Stories of sleepless nights abounded as we recounted the very very humid and uncomfortable night just gone.

The draw, is quick and we get underway. I managed to draw peg 9 again the peg I won off, last trip here.
  The lake has had a massive algal bloom in the last few days, and I wonder if my lightweight rigs will actually get through the green scum? I am in section one with some good anglers Si Burden, Chris Rushton and the ever consistent Spanners.
Spanners "Mr Consistent"
Chris getting ready to sack up.
On my right starting the next section our club Chairman Jimmy Brooham flashing some very white legs and white ankle socks. Very stylish.
My peg was still no movement or fish sign.  Pea soup green, and distinctly short of any thing that would suggest I might catch.  
My casters and pinkie at the ready, I look to my left to see Chris, preparing his chopped worm.  Jimmy shouts the all in and I drop a 7 foot rig in the middle on top of a ball of ground bait with around 10 pinkie in.  My rig is the new range from Dino floats "0.7g Long stem bream" float.  Double bulked with 3 number 12 shot to indicate sail away and lift bites.  I am praying the tench I caught last time is still around and still hungry .  

Half an hour gone and already tales of big carp landed at the far end in the bay are coming along the bank.  To be honest it dents the confidence.  Still, another four and half hours to go; any thing might happen must not let it play on my mind.

Chris is ploughing through a match pack of worm catching small to medium Perch with a nice one of around a pound.  He has just lost a carp, and jimmy to my right. Has broken a top kit playing a Perch.

I bash away float dipping and lifting regularly, but no decent fish.  Mid day comes and the bites stop as the sun reaches its zenith above the lake.  Its a sultry lack luster day, where just sitting still drains your energy.  One o'clock sees me bite less for an hour, and grabbing the wand bomb rod. Large 16 hook and piece of strawberry corn are launched in under the far bank trees.  Didn't have time to place the rod as it is nearly ripped out of my hand.  The fight is over in a milli second as the carp bolts into a mass of twigs and branches opposite. Immediately it goes solid, so I gradually pull in a sunken branch around 2 inches in diameter. I must have landed my rig straight on the fish, who when disturbed bolted foul hooked for cover.

 No more bites the rest of the day despite trying different combinations of bait, depth etc.  So Jimmy shouts all out.  To be honest people are already packing up.  Tales of lost fish and what could have been, are topped by Will Tappers news that the nice Chubb he has to go with his Carp has just lept' clear of his keep net.

The weigh in begins with Si Burden recording an impressive volume of little fish and a big perch for 3 lb 5 oz. Spanners for once has struggled and the dog Perch from Chris (3 lb 9 oz and 8 drams.)
 has pushed me back further.


I have worked hard for my 2 lb 11 and a half ounces.  Some Championship points, but not enough.  The big prizes go to Steve Hiscock 10 lb 12.5 oz of big carp (the Carp was 9lb+).
Steves big un


Will's two Carp note the missing  3 lb Chubb
My Hard earned bites.

Fair play to Will T.  He does fish for Carp or nothing catching his on Meat.  Steve Hiscocks got a big un at 9 lb +  A few silvers to go with it, his 10 lb 12 oz pipping Wills 10lb 1 oz, the leaping Chubb costing him the match.

Well done to the lads they made the most of the Carp favourite pegs. Paul Gidding also has a carp on the end peg.  So these three end pegs take the day.  See below from left to Right, Paul Gidding 3rd, Steve Hiscock 1st and Will Tapper second.  Well done to Chris taking our section and the silvers pool with his bag of Perch the pound dog Perch making the difference.



Summer league next week at Horshoe Lake, Lechlade.  Apparently its Rudd up in the water, as its a silvers only match.  Good -  perhaps I will fair better not being beaten by the big Carp.




No comments:

Post a Comment