Wednesday 24 July 2013

ARMY 10 + AGM at Viaduct.Pipped by the Doc

A cool morning greeted me as I popped into Solstice park to fuel up Nigella (my Volvo).  The flyer was in for MOT - more on that later.  I love my car she is a beautiful drive, comfortable fast and just like the real Nigella lovely air bags!  Who should be fueling up in front of me but JD.  He looked like shit, eyes held open with matchsticks as family commitments meant he had started out on the road at 2 AM this morning!  Dedication to the fishing cause is that.

The Group funds had funded a free breakfast for us all - Thanks guys, it was lovely.  My team the ORPHANS gathered for a team photo.
From left to right John Goddard, Dave Critcher , me Big Dog, Carl Amman and Gary Black

9.15 saw the start of the AGM.  Its been a tough year, Operational commitments mean the matches have been down on average 15 anglers per match.  I was asked to brief on the Bait Tech match,  Masters/Club man pairs, and the annual Match against Andover.  Awards for hard work, achievements etc were handed out and then we got down to the draw.  


I was on Scarey Carey (peg 85) good draw. Every man and his dog told me Andy Power had won this competition and that competition from that peg.  Well done Andy say I, but whilst I have improved my skill level, I am a long way of yours.

At last as inaugural winner of the Masters Club man pairs (with Daz Mayers) I get to hold the shield.
Mr Seymour above picks up his best newcomer award. 
Craig Micalef, Commercial venue cup winner
Mick Craddock Runner up Natural venue cup.  Other Awards below, Carl Amman special award for Hard work for the group.  Team Champs Nomads - again! Dave Critcher picking up for the absent Mike Poolman Champion Angler for the year+ winner of Natural Cup.  Brian Shuttler runner up individual tied on points with Mike Poolman but lost out on count back.  Chris Perry Dave Farragher this years Pairs winners.

My match started quietly with 1 bite on the half hour at noon, a four pound carp.  4 Hours later after trying everything except diving in to see if there were any fish in my swim, I was losing the will to live.  My grumblings about packing up and going home were dismissed, by fellow anglers.  

Generally it was suck it up Princess its a team event.  Keith shouted across, to remind me I had won the most enthusiastic angler award , because of my optimism and general hard work.  I petulantly said take it back I don't want it, and sat there bottom lip protruding in a sulk worthy of a 3 year old.  

I had the excellent Mr Dave Docs Docherty on the next peg, he too was struggling for a bite and we both looked enviously to the other side of Carey were Dave F, Tree Sansom, Chris Perry and Keith Armstrong were well on the way to ton+ weights.

3.45 saw Docs have a purple patch with three Carp one after another.  I inquired to tactics and bait, and it appeared I was fishing pellets which were too big.  I scaled down and at 4 pm had my second bite of the day.  I shouted my delight - I think they heard me in Glastonbury.  Its weird how the ignominy and embarrassment of a low weight of a flier peg piles the pressure on.

I noted movement in the corner to my right and pinged an under arm cast to the tree there.  The rod ripped around and in short, I had 5 fish in the last hour.  

I also lost one where my landing net pole snapped in half as I lifted a fish that had to be 25lb+!!!!!  It must have been a comical sight as I crawled on my knees then belly in my peg to grab the business end of the net before it sank.  Incredibly the fish was still in the net, but on grabbing the net the fish "flipped"  into the lake.  Still hooked it took off under the bush to my left dragging the rod behind it.  I just managed to grab the rod , when the fish bolted back under my keep net and under the platform.

Talk about keystone cops! I was left with just the landing net pan in my hand trying to balance on one leg reaching precariously out toward the fish.  Nice fish too.  Prodding around like a virgin in the dark eventually I forced the fish out from under the platform, where I watched wistfully as it swam away.  Gutted.

Craig on the next peg lent me a landing net handle to finish the match -Cheers Mate.  The all out was called and half the lake shouted fish on, including me.  I eventually reeled in a branch and a pile of terminal tackle from previous anglers.

Controversy now.  Docs on the next peg was still playing a Carp, and it was rapidly approaching 15 minutes after the whistle.  Pressure mounted from around the lake as he was barracked and people counted down to the allowed 15 minutes

My view is he got his landing net under the fish with 5 seconds to go.  But it was tight.  I shouted to all the lads on the lake - "should we allow it" it was 51 % to 49% in favour he could have it.  Well done Docs, pressure fishing at its best. 

I packed quickly and raced to help Steve the lake owner with the weigh in.  I needed at worst 5 points 6 or higher would not be good enough to reach my season target.  With depression I realised it was going to be midsectionblues as I weighed in ton weight after ton weight.

It turns out my first Carp was 4lb and the five I had in the last hour added up to 66 lb!!!!! Five fish for 66 lb what an awesome venue. One of my clonkers, which I had confidently predicted when I landed it was 25 to 30 lb, looked smaller when it came to the weigh in, and actually weighed in at 19 lb 15 ounces, still a great fish see below.


My total weight was 70 lb 1 oz, Docs unbelievably had 71 lb 1 oz.  That last minute double giving him the five points I needed. Me I had 6 points and had missed my season target.  Oh woe is me.


Midsectionblues 6 out of 12 to finish the season - a broken landing net handle costing me, or was Docs fish in time?????  Of course it was, well done Docs.  To top it the moble rings, and my van the famous "Flyer" will pass the MOT , but needs welding - Cost £175.00 - really!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like asking the lads, if anyone would like to kick me in the testicals to top a great day!! 

Results.
Keith wins, despite having one net reduced to 70 lb for overfilling.  Martin Holmes 2nd, and Jimmy Bond 3rd.


The Lads - The End of 2012 / 2013. For all those who qualified for the Army Festival in September all the best from the Big Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment