Sunday 27 January 2013

Canal canundrum

The weekend saw me feeling rough.  Still managed to struggle to Reids at Witherington farm.  Picked up my bait and had a cup of tea, and shared the normal banter.  Plus a pair of Waders, which will crop up later.  Mayo was running a match on Cottage, so strolled along to get a couple of mobile contact numbers from him.

Withy, is getting back to normal. weeks of high river avon floodwater, followed by ice and snow are hopefully behind us now.  Levels look almost normal.

Saturday / Sunday night saw torrential rain.  Still hopefully it will get rid of the ice on the canal.  God I felt rough in the morning.  To quote the Clash, should I stay or should I go? Wife actually looked mildly concerned saying, your as white as bloody sheet, you've been on the toilet most of the night are you mad?

Still the call of the brand new pole, proved to much.  Arriving at the canal early to get a place in the limited parking; found me looking for a space as everyone else had thought the same and were ahead of me.  Last of the floating ice was disappearing, but it didn't look inviting.  Waders I bought yesterday, were too small.  My fault should have tried them on.  How will I get my platform in?   Couple of people enquired at my health, god you look white/ pale or you look like s%*t mate. The first Pewsey draw of the year got under way, and a scrabble for peg one as hands dived in the beenie hat draw bag nobody wanted to walk far the bank side was narrow dodgy and basically 6 to 8 inches of muddy slurry.  Two sections of 7, saw me draw peg 5.  Arrived at the peg no mean feet, as we all carry so much gear getting past on a bankside only wide enough for one trolley was not easy.  The peg was at best uninspiring, with little room and high bank behind, topped by a thicket to dense to push a pole through.  Managed only to get one foot icy clod in getting the platform in; which was followed by realising I had forgot my side bait tray!!!

Two hours in bite less! my walnut size nugget of crumb, and normal punch approach had proved fruitless.  Still not too worried guy on my left (6) struggling.  Guy on my right (good angler) struggling two bites two roach netted at 5oz a piece.  Pegs 2 and 3 going well and peg 1 is still blanking. Boats and kayaks have ruined my track swim.  So i knock up 50/50 canal noire' and terra de somme leam chuck in 20 white squat and cup in a Clementine size ball. 1hour passes and 1 tiny perch and I mean tiny!, and 1x1oz roach. Peg 7 has had a few blades and just lost a tench at the net. 2 and 3 still going well, 4 had a couple more blades.

Back on the inside fishing squat over my bread line, resulting in 4 more tiny fish, down the canal the high numbered pegs are catching now  pegs 2 and 3 are slowing down but  still catching.  The weather has not improved, blowing an absolute hooly. Making it difficult to hold the pole straight.  The Tourny ex by the way is a joy.  Stiff as a poker and much lighter at full length than my milo.

Guy to my left has had enough, branches as thick as you forearm, are cracking off from some of the older trees. Between me and peg 4 there is an almighty crash as a branch lands mid canal.  Nervous laughs abound, and comments about hard hats come to the fore.  Could be worse. Could be raining.  On cue the rain begins, and I look nervously at my new  pride and joy as the rain turns to hail starts to crack and bounce of the sections.  An hour to go no more bites. Should I pack up and go home? No stick it out.  Finally the all out and the weigh in. 6 bites 6 fish 4.5oz.  Top weight in my section 3lb (peg2) peg 3 weighs in 2lb + and peg 4 1lb 3oz.  Tough day all round  - not last, mid section finish again, and a 3lb weight made up of some bigger Perch in the other section takes I think.  Mid section blues again.  Stuck it out but no luck today.

No comments:

Post a Comment