Sunday 24 April 2016

Pewsey - Chocolate Milk leaves bitter taste.

First Canal match of the new season and we gather at Milk house. Attendance is going to be low as sponsored anglers will be attending Ditchers spring league.

Atilla, Mike and Steve wait on the towpath , Simon and Leo are pegging out but others are arriving too.  Good mornings out of the way, I looked with dismay at the canal which was really chocolate brown.  Compared to the lovely water and day at Hungerford last week today was a real opposite.

The boat by peg 1 was holed and sinking and the canal was still suffering the churning , turning choppy effects of the Kayak race at Easter.  This year they have really smashed it up.
  I was last to draw and was left with peg 2.  which in fact was perm peg 12.  I set up reasonably quickly whilst the sun battled with the clouds and cold wind to try and make it a nice day.  The swim used to be a good one until recent slash and burn by the Canal River trust has left it a little barren.

Leo called it at 9.30 and it signalled two hours of nothing bite wise, and plenty more Kayaks and boats some of which were really motoring , their bow waves smashing the banks and stirring up the canal even more.  My enthusiasm was draining and I found myself devoid of ideas.  No use sulking fishing is for fun and I must get on with it.  

I decided to go across earlier than normal to try and get a bite.  4 Tangled rigs later I backed of a little and found the 2 foot line.  I had young Morgan Plank to my right on peg 1 

and Colin Weston to my left.  Chris Rushton had drawn the far end peg. Mike Marsden and Brian Shutler were walking the bank, and the news was grim.  Mike had decided to pack in.  Steve Dean was going home, and Brian was bemoaning only 1 bite.

The one bite was a skimmer that would in his opinion make a pound and a half.  And so the match dragged on the sun gave up and the wind increased.  With half the match gone I was sitting pretty it seemed.  I had a pound and 3 quarter Bream 3 tiny minnow size roach, 1 gudgeon a 3 oz Perch.  It seemed only Atilla Adam was going well he had a big hybrid, 2 skimmers and a Perch.

That was it till the end of the match.  I had three more little roach in the last hour , Colin to my left had a couple of tint fish near the end.  Brian was stuck on 1 bite one fish.  Chris on the end peg had 6 oz. Simon Burden won the section by default with 1 lb 8.  

Attila won the match with 3 lb 7 oz. Leo had a couple of oz,Colin 4 oz and Morgan 3 oz.  Brian was second with his one fish weighing in at 2 lb 7 oz - pound and half my arse.

Me, well not far behind Brian with 2 lb 4 oz, third place. 1 Bream and 8 little fish. 

As Leo payed top two, it meant I didn't pick up, but I did get a tenner for section win .So a free days fishing.  Areal shame to see it taking so long this year for the canal to get into fish bagging Spring condition.  But he ho never mind can't complain at third.

Top Three

Attila the winner in the middle - well done Dino man. Brian to the right me to the left.  Keep forgetting to photo score sheet but never mind.  Thanks to Leo for all the leg work.  Weekend off next week as its Hampshire and Broadlands show.  Kit needs some admin too.

No comments:

Post a Comment