Friday 29 April 2016

Pewsey boys Spring Jolly

Having not expected to fish this weekend a miscalculation in my holiday allowance meant I had a day available to join the boys for a Friday session at Shearwater.  Whilst it was a spare day it wouldn't be a whole day as I was required for some heavy furniture lifting at home.

That said it would be a chance to relax and have a bit of fun.  Scratched together some bait and leave the pole at home and decided to tip fish.

After arriving and deliberating over wind direction rain and general comfort we plumped for the boathouse bank the 5 of us in a row.

Colin Weston far end, then Brian "I can catch in a puddle"Shutler. Spanners (newly sponsored don't you know) Leo "house wife's favourite" Pocock and me on the end.  We chose our tackle and fired to the deep water in hope of some Spring Bream.

I was the only one to ball it in with a light white breadcrumb based ground bait.  The others choosing to do little and often with very sweet fish meal mix.  I was in straight away a small perch taking 3 maggots on a 16 hook.  Then several 4 oz roach before the the bigger 8 to 12 oz pristine beautiful Roach came.

That however was not what was required.  We had a quid on for the bloke with most fish over a pound.  The boys were not successful straight off although Spanners had dropped a Roach first cast.  The gradual approach by the lads though was starting to have an effect; as the first of the skimmers began to come to the landing nets.

I was pleased to see a skimmer bite too.  Only to find it was a pound + Perch with a gorgeous but small orange tail.
 
Spanners and Brian were starting to pull away. As the shoal settled in front of them.  Leo and myself were getting a couple but nowhere near the rate of the dynamic duo.  Colin on the other end was like me getting Roach and Perch with the occasional skimmer.

The rain and wind increased and it became difficult to get the 30 gram block feeder on the same spot.  Adjusting to cast right  a few degrees into wind I was soon back on the spot. and still the Roach came . With the latest being really close to a pound.

Having just watched a similar fish from spanners being unanimously turned down as not big enough to count, I smiled inwardly and slipped it back.  The laughter and banter continued as we enjoyed the four seasons in one day weather.  My brolly was up and down like  a whores knickers and the coat on and off with equal repetition.

I decided to take a closer look at the lads rigs to try and understand why I couldn't get the skimmers.  Straight away I noted my hook tail length was too long and it was clear this was making the bait drop slower through the water and be intercepted by the Roach.  On return to the peg I changed from running feeder to fixed paternoster with a short "rotten bottom" to the feeder . Changed from 16 to wide gape 18 hook and a worm caster bait.

I fed the bread ground bait to the ducks and a few local springtime Robin red breasts.  Knocked up a fishmeal batch and was back in.  By this time Leo was getting some big Bream and Brian / Spanners still catching.

There was no change initially to the pea pod 12 oz Roach which kept coming, but then I had a skimmer and another and another.  Leo had a skimmer to keep his lady fans happy I went along to take a pic.

Down came the rain again and the water became positively choppy with white topping waves.  Perfect practise for those of to the Irish Loughs soon.

Spanners was putting on a right exhibition - some would say his fishing wasn't bad either. Just kidding mate.  Before long Leo and I had 6 Bream a piece but Brian and Spanners were pulling away in their own little battle.  Colin on the end was still catching but like me he was also plagued with Roach.

I do apologise, I am not complaining . For those like me who have struggled for bites on the canal, the regular bites were delightful. Cramp set in and I needed to walk it off.  So I went down to watch Spanners and get some action shots, not of his exhibition but his fishing lol.

On cue the Matrix Sponsored angler lands another skimmer amongst much abuse from us all.  Gotta say many of us were very disappointed to see him go from Pewsey to Matrix, but that's life he is still a Pewsey boy at heart.  He takes the masses of well natured banter about his departure very well.  After all lifes too short and we are all mates still.


This fish put him 2 ahead of Brian in their tussle.  Both looking good for a quid.  That said if it was on weight Leos fish were bigger.

Before long I had the dreaded call and had to head for home.  With Carp anglers queueing,  SPOD Rods in hand, behind me for my spot I departed with one more pic off the house wife's favourite , although the others were saying "more like readers wives" haha.

So and end to to a bonus trip, maybe 18 lb of Roach two 6 ounce Perch a bigger Perch and 6 good skimmers around 2 lb a piece. Lovely.........I wonder who did win the pound bet.  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment