Sunday 17 April 2016

Beautiful day so Rock on Tommy

Wasn't going to fish this week, but Chris "My Little Pony" Rushton. Talked me into fishing an open at Hungerford. Chris Wiltshire's  top stallion lover, or so he tells us, kindly booked me in and I headed fort he John O Gaunts pub in Hungerford for the draw and a bit of breaky.

North through the villages left at the Shears pub and straight over the downs it was a superb life invigorating experience the sky was clear and the brightest blue  and the change over of shift from nocturnal to daytime wildlife was in progress.  The Daffodil heads pressed low to the ground by a brutal night time frost, were beginning to respond to the suns warmth.

The New Order (True Faith) song on the radio seemed perfect for the Daffies with its lyrics " I used to think the day would never come, that my life would depend on the Morning Sun"

Anyway as I dropped of the downs into Hungerford I looked right at the hamlets and was reminded of the Shire from the Hobbit.  Green, lush with crops burgeoning into life, willow the wisp smoke from the chimneys on the thatched cottages what a day good to be alive.

Into the pub then and oh very posh. We had already booked in for breaky and the tables were laid with pots of Tea and Coffee, little dish of butter posh knife and forks and various condiments.  As always the Matrix boys grabbed the end pegs on the table  - no change there from the end peg boys.


 The whole ambiance was way to civilised, but I loved it.  The banter and laughter was great and the conversation turned to football and Man Utd.  I did volunteer so football knowledge but as only one of two Leeds fans I was told I was wanted in the telephone box outside Leeds were waiting to start their AGM!!  Cheeky bastards.

Breakfast arrived and to match its surroundings it was perfectly displayed on the white China plates.  Complete with herbal green garnish (garnish no less at a fishing match) serviettes and side plate very nice.

Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Beans, Black pudding, Mushroom Tomato and Toast. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it.

To the draw and I drew peg 17 pretty much the centre of the 34 anglers.
The car park after the draw as people get ready to do battle

My peg looked ok but being on a slight bend had silted up quite a bit on the far line very shallow.  Mr Giddings advised me to feed heavy with ground bait caster and worm, and as he fishes it regularly I took his advice. So with equal numbers of anglers either side of me


The match started in glorious sunshine and stayed that way all day.. The downside was the sun brought out the boaters and towpath traffic but you can't have it all.  The Red Kite swooped and cried above us, mobbed by the crows; and a Grey Heron lifted lazily into the air.

First decent bite brought a crayfish .  And it appeared the worm line I had , had attracted 3 more before I changed a re-baited elsewhere. The bread line brought nothing to the net so it was into the deepest bit.  Sail away and Tommy Ruffe was swung in, amazingly i had 6 more in a row.  Even more amazing was I had 22 Tommy Ruffe by the end , the most I have ever caught in one session. Rock on Tommy

As it was though I was nowhere in the section the guy to my right had a big fat Perch and PG to his right a big skimmer.  PG however was now across and catching one a chuck.  To my left it appeared most were struggling like me except the end pegs which were going strong with Bream.

I did have a good fight with what I thought was my bonus fish, but it turned out to be a trout.  He Ho.  The all out was called and it was clear Alan Gibbs had won our section with a Bream and 3 skimmers PG was probably second.  I wasn't  going to weigh in but did, sure enough not enough weight to challenge but who cares I had thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the sun catching a few , trying hard to get a bonus fish but losing out on this occasion.  Thanks to the Match organiser for a good day.  Thanks to my little Pony for booking me in.  It was good to see Mike Marsden, Alan Brown, Gary Williamson, Chavey, Gary the Fish Etheridge and many others who I haven't seen for some time.  Good to see they are happy and angling well.

Now shall I fish Pewsey Canal next week????

No comments:

Post a Comment