Sunday 20 December 2015

Getting Crabby - for the fun of it

I was coerced back to the tow path this weekend.  Inevitably my intended break from match fishing  and the blog writing was cut short. I suppose I should be pleased with the complaints at the lack of a blog last Sunday.  It shows I am supplying a service.

 A service to those anglers who like me , have bad days tangle rigs and struggle on occasion to draw well.  I know this because people say , I look forward to your blog it cheers me up on a bad day!

So when Spanners said ditch the drop shotting and Piking and come fishing with me for fun. I thought why not.  When I got to the meeting spot Kev the Bread Chubb was there too and Leo turned up .

It was agreed we would try the Crab apple section of the canal and just have a pleasure session.

As we set up it was clear we all wanted to get something from the day, and inevitably we decided to add a little spice and go a pound each winner take all in a fun mini match.  The only difference being we would choose our own peg.

Kev and Spanners went either side of the famous crab apple tree and Leo went right of Spanners. Me I plumped for left of Kev.  We  eased into a 10 o'clock start and decided to fish till 3 pm.  So we were away and straight away I had a few Roach on the whip. Feeling pleased to be catching, I looked right to see every one else all catching quickly as well.

I suppose there is always pride at stake and of course the obligatory pound bet.  Sometimes the pounds mean more than any pools denomination. It s taking a quid of your mate that's so pleasing. They day was whizzing by as we all caught well for an hour. Small fish admittedly but the float was a pleasing disappearing sight.

Then the first Boat came through and killed it dead for Kev and I, Leo and Spanners kept going.  Kev and I resumed catching after the silt settled 15 minutes later. And so the day went steady patches of catching in between occasional 10 minute blank spots.

It became very dark over Will's mothers as the black clouds rolled in.  Panic time as I had left my coat at home.  Good job I had bought the golf umbrella I keep in the van to my peg. So after erecting the brolly I stuffed it down the back of my bib and brace and sat there as the first of the heavy rain smashed into it.  I must have looked a right Charlie, but it worked it kept the rain of and kept me hands free for fishing.

Good job to as the others were in fast forward catching mode and I had to get a wriggle on.  Brian Shutler arrived for a chat and watched us all catch the rain had gone and so had Brian.  The temperature dropped as the rain had stopped and after a period of no bites the drop in light levels on this shortest daylight Sunday this year; the bites came back.

A little late maybe but I was catching again and the relaxed nature of the day was quite pleasing. Kev called it, and I pulled my net maybe 3 and half I thought.


Along to Leo first, and he pulled out a bag full including a chunk of a Perch and another Perch of a pound to go with his small fish.  Weighing in went as follows.
 Leo 5 lb 6 oz
Spanners 93 fish for 4 lb 6 oz
 Kev the Bread 3 lb 4 oz
and then me , my net above 3 lb 13.5 oz.

Pounds all paid to Leo, we shook hands and wished each other Merry Christmas, and see you at JCs 2 dayer between Christmas and New year.

On leave now so perhaps I will get in that Piking tomorrow or Tuesday, I am sure.

See you other side of Christmas and Boxing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment