Sunday 2 November 2014

Wessex Winter League round 4 Radcot Thames. Hanging in there.

After the recent glorious high temperatures its seems weird to be on round 4 of a Winter League.  The hope was we could overhaul the four point lead Swindon Isis A had on us and go into the last match on the Home water Pewsey canal either tied or in front.  Shouldn't discount Radcot either as they had a red letter day at Lechlade last time out.



Could do with another pick up myself funds are tight and another £46 paid out to replace the wing mirror on the flyer after last weeks impact with a Pheasant, doesn't help.  Axel Rose is agonizingly but soulfully singing an appropriate tune "November Rain" and Slash and the rest of Guns and Roses are ensuring the song has overblown and overlong guitar solo to make it sound as epic as possible.

Its squeaky bum time as Swindon Isis and Radcot seem to be bringing it big style.  Its fair to say that not only do they have good anglers but they all seem very nice with it.  In fact all anglers taking part seem to be a good bunch of friendly blokes. Its clear Swindon want us to lose our grip on the title we won last year.  We are well up for it, but its definitely to a gimme and any number of teams on the day can win and throw it in the air.

I am thinking on the team plan derived from the practice open match on Wednesday.  It centers around a ground bait and caster approach again; but its clear from Wednesday the roach are not showing so 2.5 lb of gudgeon and small stuff on pinkie, is the target for good section points.  I am not totally comfortable as we are basing it on the upper sections at Grafton lock and boatyard.  Not sure its relevant to the pegs below the Golden Swan, but fingers crossed.  I had a look back at last years blog and I won my section (the boatyard) with 3 lb 15 and half lets hope its repeated.  I am getting a bit fed up of the travelling up from Salisbury way, could do with a few matches closer to home. Costing a fortune in diesel.

Breakfast for a fiver and booked in we go to the draw.  But most of the lads are going with the bap approach. Me I am not really hungry just wanna draw.  Have a feeling today could be the day it all goes badly wrong.  Below Martin Aris trying not to bite his fingers.
So I am pushed forward to draw again and after a run of reasonable pegs in this competition I draw 6.  Which it appears is not the best.  Local Knowledge from Graham Godwin indicates I am going to struggle and scratch.  And true to his word when I get to my swim I find a blank looking number, and I am trapped between good anglers John Swan and Paul Rice.

Looks good in the photo but dark clouds rumbled in and the wind was straight in my face and swirling around. Had 8 foot at my feet and then 10 feet to two thirds of the way across where it shelved up.

Don't know why but even plumbing up I knew it was gonna be a struggle;and so it proved this was grind.  I really worked at it through the match trying several methods and baits to no avail.  Through the entire five hour match I probably watched a stationery float for 4 hours and fifteen minutes.  I am not the only one struggling Paul Rice up stream is dogged in his waggler approach, but is only catching like me tiny fish just out of the egg sack.  I have seen John Swan catch what looks like a Hybrid , in fact he seems to have been catching all day.  He is the end peg as no one has turned up on peg 8. I tried a whole tin of hemp over half an hour with the bait dropper but still no roach.  So much weed on the bottom it was making it difficult and every now and then the elastic stretched and pulled up an ancient branch from the depths.

 In the end I had one 2 ounce roach 32 Gudgeon and a lucky Perch at the end for 1 lb 3 and half ounces.  Pikeless for the first time in a while- yippee.  The all out was called and I was glad to turn my back on a long cold day.  A day of leaves, twigs, tiny, tiny fish and a great deal of frustration.


A section first and Danny has done well up in the boatyard.  Our  floating sub Graham Godwin also does well.  The unstoppable Brian Webb does it for ISIS A.

B section (my section) and its a close call. John Swans Hybrid was a proper River Roach well done to him.  Well done to the excellent Summer League organiser Daz Edgell second  - and me third with 1 lb 3 and a half.  The half proving vital as two others (Steve Dean and P Eales) had 1 lb 3 tied !!!!
  So to C section and will it be as tough as B? Trev Bradley wins it for ISIS A. ISIS B Steve Bull second.  Well done to Lee Knight and Leo; as Steve Trevett struggles.

D section (by the Swan pub), next and the skillful Brian Shutler wins it for team 2. Marc Kay also continues his good form and Kev gets mid section.

E section next. An extraordinary weight by a new fella Mr Curtis of 35 lb !!!! suggests the fish in this section had shoaled up.  As everyone else except Pewsey 1 Paul Giddings gets ounces.

and Finally F section slight controversy here as I note a mistake.  Recount needed.  Unfortunately Chas Short rang in at draw time to say his father had fallen ill, and he was in hospital with him and couldn't make it.   So looking at the sheet Chris Glover should be in Pewsey 2. Pewsey 3 should be blank and presumably Colin Betteridge is Clanfield?? Well done to Brian Ballard and the N Russell for ISIS, Both piling the points on for ISIS.

Totals now.

If I am right, Pewsey 3 Should have 34 Points and still win the day. Pewsey 3 - -  18 instead of 21; and Clanfield 21 points instead of 15.  I am sure it will all come out in the wash.  See you next week on the lake for the Remembrance day match.

Well done to Pewsey 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment