Sunday 9 November 2014

Pewsey Lake Match Remembering those who left Wiltshire never to return.

Through the fog and onward to the lake for Match 8 of the Lake championship how time flies match 8 already unbelievable.  Nice  view to see the electric pylons poking through the thick foggy blanket. Get to the lake to find I have left my hot foot boots behind as well as my short whip and a landing net pan. Great start to the day.

Banter was cut off at the knees today as after an initial humorous draw; a respectful silence was observed before the first bait broke the surface.  In this centenary year of the start of the Great War; I took the time not only to say a silent thank you to those men; but to think of more modern conflicts and loss of men and women.  I am very fortunate in that being a civil servant I have the pleasure of working with the Army and through that have made personal friendships that have extended outside the work environment and into fishing.

Pewsey DAA have also benefited from the talents (and membership funds) of Army anglers who have joined our ranks.  We are under no illusion their presence is transitory; due to the nature of their role.  However, we all wish for their time with us to be long as possible.  To that end I finish my thoughts of remembrance with hopes of a more peaceful future when "friends" can spend time wetting a line together.

Not many at the match today.  Many of the lads preferring to check out our canal stretch ahead of the crunch final winter league match next week.  The first trick is going to find sections that are fish-able and not boated out.  Then to try and find somewhere where our friends in the winter league can catch, but not catch too much (otherwise whats the point of a home venue).

Unfortunately as much as I would have love to have joined them; my commitment to run the lake matches comes first.   The lake reflected the grey autumn dawn and was sprinkled with beech tree leaves.  Clarity has won the battle over the clean green of the summer water; and the temperature was a very, very cold 4 degrees and clear..

We steeled ourselves for a tough one.  A day for warm clothes comfortable seats and a long wait over the quiver tip. accompanied by a hot flask of sweet Tea. No show from Chas, so we started the draw.  It meant only two sections of 5 but he ho, can't be helped.

Two left, Simon and I last to draw would it be 13 or 5. It would be nice to get down the bottom in the fish and in the sun. The day gets worse as I draw peg 5.

I decided to set up a waggler for the far side, fishing long with the pole would be difficult needed 17 meters really.  I was also concerned that the pole waggling around casting shadows - would spook the few fish in the clear upper levels of the lake. Brian Shutler on end peg 4 on my left and Steve Dean (below) to my right.



I had scaled my rigs down from 0.12 mainline 0.10 hook length to 0.08 straight through.  Hooks scaled down from an 18 to Kamasan BS 510 size 22.  Deep canal rigs.  The main attack (deep water (7 and a half feet deep) was with my brilliant Long Bream 0.75 Dino floats.  Superbly balanced floats these and it seems built for our lake.  I bulk down with 3 number 12 shot along the hook length.  It shows the the tiniest of movement up or down, in fact most of my bites on the lake recently have been lifts.

Also set up another Dino float the Roach Royale' to work the water between 2 feet deep and 6 feet. Plenty of line between top of float and the pole to keep the shadow of the water.  The shot on this was well spread to try and pick up a few "on the drop" has the bait dropped gently through the water.

Martin Aris walked behind me. "You alright mate" I said you look like shit.  I don't feel well he says I am gonna sit in my van.  He looked bloody awful, white waxy face sweating like OJ Simpson's defence lawyer and really looking poorly.  I quickly finished setting up.  Then went back up to the road to see Martin.  He didn't look right at all, so did the normal first aid questions and said I was gonna call an ambulance.  He swore at me and said don't be daft he was feeling better and he had no pain etc.  So after getting some drink into him and sitting with him for a bit, he said he was ready to fish.  I was not convinced but we strolled slowly back.  I gave him some more hot tea from my flask and then blew the whistle.

The match started slowly.  30 Minutes in and I had a 2 ounce Perch, Steve's had a few small roach and Roly has had a few net-able fish.  Brian has had nothing.2 Hours in and I am officially panicking.  Still on one Perch, Brian now has three small ones Steve's up to 6 or 7 Roly is on a pound and Will is still whacking out the Method with no joy.  Apparently the other section is not doing much better, so I take the temp of the water and is a chilling 3 degrees. Bugger dropped my thermometer in the lake!

I scale down the waggler to 10 oz bottom size 24 and a single pinkie. The float lands just right and then dips. I strike and am relieved to land a Perch that might go a pound.  This puts me second in section just need to build on it.  That was it though, all of us stopped catching and never saw another fish till ten minutes from the end. When Brian stated it was Carp O'clock.

 As always the other end has it, however I am sitting pretty for good points in my section.  Suddenly Will T shouts hes in to a Carp on the method.  Brian on my left is also away. Unbelievable so close to picking up more points on Brian and hes done it again - a last minute lump.  Will lands his fish and thankfully Brian loses his clearly a massive fish his medium gear cant hold it.

I blow for the end and Steve Hiscock in the next section shouts fish on!  The rest of us pack away whilst Steve Hiscock plays and lands his fish in the allotted time (near double figure common).

Brian and I start the weigh in.  First surprise is Marc Kay on end peg - no proper Carp but two gold fish for 9 ounces. To add to his silvers weight.  The ever present Simon Burden who draws last with me; has made the most of the draw with one Carp for 6 lb 6 oz to add to his two Chubb and many silvers.

On through the other pegs.  Steve Hiscocks "whistle" fish goes a lovely 9 lb 4 oz.  Martin Aris (looking a bit more pink) does well with lots of little fish to get his best lake weight for a while.  Then through my section where the weights are no where near the other section. Steve's near double common below.  Biggest tail on a Carp I have seen for a while.

So to the score sheet and as Brian says my "Jammy Perch" gives me enough to claw a point back off Brian. Brian also dutifully hands over a pound coin to Martin on their pre match bet.  What a day. 3 bites and three fish.  Hope to get a Perch like that on the canal next week.



The lads pick up their winnings

As the day comes to end our thoughts are torn between the future and next week on the canal; and on this day of Remembrance - most of all, to those who fought and died for our Freedom.  Thank you to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment