Wednesday 12 November 2014

Army match 2 ..... All change and back on the cut

So I was lucky enough to be able to get the day and fish the second Army match of the 2014/2015 season. I like all, had prepared for the river at Chippenham.

However the recent consistent heavy rain had forced Kev East to consider a change to the venue. Nobody catches on a rising river and I think even the superstars of the group would have struggled. He also has to take the wider view and consider the new and inexperienced anglers.  So in the interest of duty of care and safety; and giving everyone a chance of catching it was moved back to the cut.

Good call as it happens as the river rose over its banks today; and of course everyone caught something on the cut.  The weather would not relent though and we all racked up to the pub for breakfast with tales of copious surface water and dreadful driving conditions.

Me well I enjoyed the drive  "Kate" my Volvo is safe as houses 4 wheel drive heated seats the works - lovely.  The only downside yet another garage bill for a new fuse box.  Its getting like Triggers brush as I replace all the parts bit by bit. Should have a good van soon.  The other downside was I had left my waders in the van thus negating me being able to get in.  And having to sit high on the bank - bad practice - not happy.

So with peg A1 being down by the Bridge inn, and B section split equally either side of the swing bridge.  That left C Section on up the narrows towards Horton.
Getting from the pub to the car park was a bit of a drama as the we pass the local school and we clashed with the school run as the local middle class's dropped of their little darlings.

Trouble was a local coach driver had compounded the awful "park anywhere without consideration" approach by the young mummies.  We were moving along like an asthmatic ant with a back pack on, and my temper was rising.

In the end I jumped out the car and had a serious word with the coach driver and some of the the more plainly stupid woman parkers' / drivers.  One woman clearly thought she was in an episode of Downton Abbey as she said if I didn't stop shouting ( I was frightening Cassandra her little girl, who by the way said she wasn't frightened mumsy - mumsy!) she would have her driver sort me out!  So having "tuned her in" - she went off with an "ooh I say how rude" Her driver looking pleased he and I didn't have to get into it.

Moved the coach driver and a quick impression of New York traffic cop pointing and shouting we got moving.

The rain continued to spatter all, and Kev shouted the all in.  I am not a fan of the stretch I drew its narrow and shallow and is only good for a couple of hours of sport if you are lucky, then its scratch city. So over the swing bridge and left.  On round the bend and straight on to wooden bridge. Stopping on C1 , I looked up stream to note some very talented anglers in my section, this won't be easy.

So quick start on the bread and nothing for 15 minutes.  Ditched the bread rig and tried the choppy line , which produced straight away.  So with the cold wind coming of the fields behind giving me a stiff neck, I hunkered down and ground it out.  Went steady till 13.30 when the obligatory Pike made a show in the peg to my left fry was jumping clear of the water all over.  Seconds later my float dipped and and as I un-shipped the pike took the roach I was playing. So after the fish had entertained Mr Aplen on B 15 and myself I replaced my trashed rig and dropped back in.  However it was like someone had flicked a switch. there was nothing there.  I tried the far shelf even going down to a single squat on a 24 but no more fish.  Except for one tiny Perch with 10 minutes to go.

So it was with relief and delight when Kev shouted "all out"

Score sheets below.  Fancied this section myself, or at least A3. But today its the ever reliable John Dewberry who takes the section with 8 lb 8oz of peg A11.




B section and my com-padre Mike Poolman was delighted that I drew him B7 the first peg right of the swing bridge a flier.  Good job really as our three man team Nomads B is one man down today.  Mike was unlucky to not get anything but small stuff, but nevertheless  still managed a creditable 2.590 or 5 and 3/4 pound.  Section winner was Eddy Edwards (Nomads A) the first peg the other side of the swing bridge with 3.380 and third in the match.



Section C, my section. Lucky or unlucky to have fellow Pewsey anglers Carl Amman, Brian Shutler and the superb Si Irwin.  Also Pewsey (Chris Glover bagged up in A section) Add to that Kev East, Ivan Oakey and Ben Bentley and a few new guys who look the biz, its tough.  The end pegs take it with Si coming out on top with a quality roach bag on punch.  And all of C15, 14, 13 and Ben on 11, catching quality fish of a reasonable size.  The guy on 13 had a beautiful golden Rudd, haven't seen one of those for a while.  I am reasonably please with my weight ( 3 lb 5 oz) beating 9 guys to my right and 5 guys to my left, but its not enough to pick up. Shame. Nomads B (despite being one man down) finish in the top third.  Nomads A come second to Mercians.





Nice drink and banter after in the pub.


Thoughts turn to the final round of the Wessex on Sunday.  Can we overhaul a six point deficit from Swindon. Well its our home water the canal - squeaky bum time.

No comments:

Post a Comment