Sunday 19 October 2014

Wessex Winter League round 3 . Not bad you old Trout

So its here another Winter League Sunday morning.  Up at Sparrows fart to face the weird juxtaposition a dark winters morn yet the warmth of an August night.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the continuing warm weather it is much more pleasant than the blue fingered fish-less days of winter.  But everything has its place and to be honest I wish for a few hard frosts; and a bloody good storm to put the river in perfect winter trim. Nothing like catching Dace and Roach (on a running line) on a clean green river, fining down. Some of the lads seem overly pleased to be there!

In the reverse of the E L O song the morning sun struggles but Mr Blue Sky's hand is creeping over the shoulder of Mr Night and pushes its way into our lives.  I enjoy driving early in the day, the roads seem free of vehicles even though they are not.  The wildlife skulk gingerly back into the shadows of the dark places which are safe from the parasitic human race.  This particular parasite races headlong toward the meeting place.  With hope in his heart that he will again get close to that nature and today have the honour of holding again, the red finned silver prize of a two pound Roach.

Some of the guys had decided not to engage in the normal wacky races from our meeting point and drive straight to the draw venue.  Must admit I was looking forward to getting there. To see for myself the legendary Barmaid.  Apparently some of her asset's need their own postcode!  Rocking music from the 1970s Ballroom blitz (Sweet), My friend Stan (Slade) and most appropriate Wings and "Band on the run" accompany me across the M4 as I balance drumming the steering wheel and drinking a vanilla Latte from Costa.

Breakfast was missed for a change as I had some pretty bad stomach cramps. Raised a smile with the barmaid, ordering my drink.  Didn't notice my flies were undone. Explained she was safe and said "the cage is open, but the beast is asleep".  The response was crushing, she said  " more like a dead bird will never fall out of its nest"!!

On to the draw and 3 golden pegs today two and 200 and one at 89.  I draw first for the lads and its peg four. mid section.  Team 2 draw peg 1 and Team 3 peg.  Its a long hike to my peg and it comes home to me just how fat I have become. Nearing the peg I have to take a breather its so warm and I have way to many layers on.  Si Burden noticing my red face, says " don't worry Gazza its a big field plenty of room for the Air Ambulance to land"!

I get to my peg and I am pleased it looks a good one with plenty of features.  One problem to get to it I have to ferry my kit over a deep muddy cattle drink to get to a nice sand bar. After taking 45 minutes sinking losing waders , pulling muscles trying to get out and almost having a coronary, I get my kit across and start plumbing up.


Its not the swim that's been winning matches that is two pegs down below the wooden bridge.  But its a glorious spot where two rivers converge .  The only thing I could really do was fish the crease where the rivers met, it was the deepest spot at 5 feet.  After taking so long to get across the mud I was now rushing as the 11 o'clock start time was almost on me.  In fact the whistle went just as I finished plumbing up.  As per the team plan I cupped in 10 balls of caster laced ground bait, then lowered the rig in and it was away before it settled and in to the first of seven trout one after another. The first below being around 2 lb the biggest around 5.5 lb - didn't he lead me a merry dance. After slipping the first two back I then netted the rest as I was sure they would plague me all day.
So with 30 minutes gone I had two gudgeon and a load of game fish.  the flying peg below the bridge has already had two 1.5 lb skimmers and his elastic is stretching out again.  Head down as the roach start to come.  The wind changes its ever swirling direction to up stream so I pop the stick float out with a piece of bread flake to see if there is anything bigger around.  At last  - weeks I have been waiting for bonus fish and what a lovely fish. it slides away and the rod bends nicely into a near pound Roach.

Hopeful of more bread fish I persevere to no avail so go back on the bronze over the ground bait.  The day becomes a mechanical robotic exhibition of shipping the pole , swapping to the stick when wind suited and pulling the small stuff a few skimmers  started to come and then the inevitable Pike.

The pike destroyed my rig and after a change it wasn't the same.  3 Hours in, what to do.  Couple more balls of caster ground bait and a whole tin of hemp switches it on again and the roach respond well.  When ever I look downstream the guy the other side of the bridge seems to be into a fish.  Concentration goes a little as I wonder how the other lads are doing.  I am not winning the section but should I stick at it or get the waggler out and go for chubb - if they are there?  Remembering that we need 6 points an angler to stay in touch, I hope no one else in the section is catching and I am sitting in second - I hope.  So leave the waggler and keep going  - don't come off feeding fish.  The fish get smaller and smaller as the match ends.  I think I may have 6 and half pound is it enough?
  So to the weigh and my section first.  As I thought the ISIS fella had bagged with 15 lb + .  I had managed second. With a pleasing 8 lb 3 oz.
Si Irwin had 2 pound dead 3 points and Si burden a 3 lb 15 4 points

B section and the in form man Steve Trevett struggles for a change. Chris Glover P2 doing him by an ounce. Steve H struggling after being hounded by pike all day.

C Section.  Lee Knight P3 pips Kev the bread by  8 drams!! and Brian Shutler stuggles in a difficult windy , shallow peg.

D Section. Solid from Chris and Leo with Chas struggling a little on the day.

E Section. Solid again from P1 Paul Giddings the required 6 points. Steve Dean and Martin struggling in the wind with Martin breaking is 5 section.
F Section.  Super sub Graham Godwin Wins the section for P3, Danny suffers a broken 5 section in the wind as well; and spanners scratches a vital 4 points; but legs it before paying me another quid.


Team results.


Swindon ISIS A have a red letter day with Radcot on the tail.  P 1 manages third. Still well in it second overall I think 4 points behind Swindon ISIS A. Second in section - twice in a week; and  Section by default for me. Seventh in the match.

Ladies Bridge on the Canal next week for a club match against Kintbury.

PS it just shows you how close matches and fishing could be only ounces between 2, 3, 4 and 5th in the match. As for Pewsey, and in particular P1 missing out on an extra point by an ounce in B Section and half an ounce in C section. Could have been only 2 points behind





No comments:

Post a Comment