Wednesday 15 October 2014

Army 2014/2015 begins...guess what its raining

So it begins another season with the Army lads and as always its raining, never fails to rain on these boys.  What a turn out 52 + 3 guests.  Brilliant turn out and credit to Kev East for the organisation.  For the first time in many years I didn't have to peg, so it was turn up breakfast and draw. Very nice.  Good conversation with my guest for the day the inimitable Ian Spanners Spanswick.

James Carty had been invited by Kev East, and John Yoda Dewberry had invited Ian Ross.  Its been a while since I've gone a pound with anyone, but a half hearted offer got the nod from Spanners. Pewsey vs Pewsey should be interesting.  In fact several Pewsey lads are on show today, Brian Shutler, Si Irwin and Chris Glover.  The down side of the big numbers was the tight pegging.  Big numbers (18 in a section) construction work at the Bridge Inn end and loads of boats at Horton meant we were cosy. Still no bitchin from me I know what its like to organise, you cant please them all.

Parked up and headed to my peg (B9) midsection blues me thinks. Past Brian Shutler on end peg B1 and Si Irwin on B 5.  Got to my peg to find my friend and excellent angler John Yoda Dewberry two to my left.  Gonna be tough to get good points today in this section of 18 and talented anglers.  

Spannners walked by, where you pegged mate? Devizes I think! He had a long walk on muddy paths to C section.  Good luck says I start shining the pound.  On my right, my friend Brian Parsons. Least if the fishing was bad we could chat.
My ability to draw bland featureless pegs in the middle of a section continues. So I wasn't hoping for much. set up two whips for close work , a track kit , 2 four foot kits and a far side ledge kit.

Sorted my bait and closed up all the bags and kit against the impending rain.


Wished John a good match, sat down and chopped the worm ready.  The match started and as always I started on the whip, with punch.  Two quick Roach and then nothing for 10 minutes.  So changed to bronze maggot over the choppy and ground bait line. Float dipped and three quick Perch getting smaller and smaller 
Looking left I see John flash the net out and land what looked like a monster hybrid.  Bugger that's torn it.  Head down and work it. Ignore others (hard when they are close) fish your own match.  A little pressure had been brought to bear as one or two comments about it being easy for me.  Apparently as I fish canals now I should win it .............I don't think so!  Lot of talent on show in all the sections today. Too many to name but they know who they are.  My target was a kilo (army matches are in kilos) as opposed to the pounds I have been doing in winter leagues and club matches.  Second target try and sneak into top 12 out of the 55.  Lofty targets on this bleak day.  

So I worked hard ground out the fish with a variety of tactics.  Ignoring the big fish (never get them anyhow) and going for quantity.  It is slow of course and I can hear that Si Irwin is one a chuck. The fish come and go and the monotony of squat fish is broken by a couple of boats.  Dropped in the backwash of one with a worm.  The spiralling float slides away and the elastic stretches to a reasonable (pound plus) Perch.  Its hooked above the eye with the worm behind its gill plate.  Needless to say my 0.5 hook length snaps and a new rig is needed.

The incessant rain accompanies us all to the end of the match and the all out is called.  Busy day lots of small stuff.  Si Irwn comes along and asks what I have; and my standard 5 ounce reply is given.  "Yeh right 5 ounces my arse".  "You've done well I hear".  "Yeh got a couple of pound".  Bull, that means 3 lb me thinks.

A quick peak at my net to make sure I have not disgraced myself, and I am relatively pleased , once again need that bonus fish, but its ok.


So back to the pub for the results.  A section first.
End pegs Adi Watts and Chris Glover do as expected. Other notable weights, Gaz Bolitho, James Carty and Daz Anderson.

My section next.  Brian Shutler struggled on the venue flyer by being double boated in the first 30 minutes and then one of the boats moored next to him, poor sod. Si Irwin has not stopped all day and has pipped me by 5 ounces. I in turn pip my mate Yoda by 13 ounces. My old Orphan team buddy Carl Amman  a creditable weight from the Devizes club man fishing on home water. I am pleased with my five and three quarter pound. Well done to Si on his near 6 lb. Go Pewsey.
  So to C Section.  Close one this. With Dave Griffiths winning the match with 3 kilo plus and  Nomad Eddie Edwards taking second ahead of Rocky. A  respectable 1.7 kilo (3 and 3 quarter lb) for my mate and guest Spanners. 
Double misery for Ian as JC in A section pips him as well by 2 oz or 50 grams. Never mind mate.

So a pick up for me, happy days.  Picked up Si's for him, spent that on the way home!

As for my targets. 

 My target was a kilo (army matches are in kilos) as opposed to the pounds I have been doing in winter leagues and club matches.  Second target try and sneak into top 12 out of the 55.

Surpassed the kilo mark and as for position:

1st. Dave Griffiths 3.040
2nd. Eddy Edwards 2.930
3rd. Adi Watts 2.750
4th. Si Irwin 2.690
5th. Gary Williams 2.520 

Happy Days, need to keep that going for the winter league at Lechlade this weekend.

One thing left to do.  He hands over the pound reluctantly , saying keep it warm I'll win it back on Sunday.





1 comment: